How Do You Feel: Anime into Live Action

Lets discuss Anime being made into Live Action.(Video Games are excepted as well in this discussion)

For me I think it's a bad idea.I think you they should just keep it 2d their is no need to mix the worlds.Their are few cases of Anime being made into live action and each time it makes me flinch.

One of the internet rumors about Cowboy Bebop being made into live action really pissed me off.I think the characters are to hard to portray in real life.For me Spike is to deep for people to imitate, then the pics of Keanu Reeves playing him made me laugh, he was only good in the Matrix and that is just because the movie over powered his shity acting.

One of the rumors that I agreed with is this tumblr_lcgh4miWTz1qeamv3o1_500.jpg If Jet was a real person he would look like that! But if Bruce Willis could portray Jet is debatable.

And if you do this should you voice over the actors?Yes a strong yes,for me as a fan the voice is important to keep it in the realm of the anime version.So I can have a small link to my roots.

Another thing is character growth.How does a 2 hour movie portray a 51 or 80 episode anime.(Not talking about Bebop Here)Most of the time they fail at doing this with books.Not to mention the liberates taken to make the story fit a move format.(Which Happens All The Time)

I believe you should just leave it alone, or use the money to make a animated movie instead.Or up date the whole anime by going back and using today's graphics(Just the Graphics nothing else)

Well I just don't like it by the time you get the finished movie it doesn't resemble the original work.The actors will put their make spin on the character they play,The director makes it fit is view of how it should look,and the screen writers butcher the story you know and love.

This is how I feel on the matter! What about you?

i'd wait till they have better technology to make movies successful. Its more dependent on the filmmaker, but i suppose most fans would generally not like their favorite animes being made into a bad movie. If your going to create a movie out of a successful anime, you better do it right.

Its a bad joke in terms of presentation. It is just impossible to merge the characters' appearances from animes into our realms ( At least it cannot be done right now ). What's more, how can the accurate presentation of the animes' main ideas be guaranteed ??

Should there be live action movies of anime/manga/etc? no. Reason: DragonBall Evolution

it will never work out if they dont follow it perfectly...

but maybe if someone like james cameron directed a live adaptation and made it look gorgeous it would be a good sight to see..but he probably ruin it by making it like Avatar -_-

i dont think it will work really

i watched ranma 1/2 live action and i was like who the hell is that skinny dude ???

but if they are gonna make one at least make it good who cares if it's half hour or a day just let it be good

the most fucked up shit is the voice acting you hear a dude and look at a girl looool

• 1 month later...

Hmm, the only thing I've seen a bit of live action for is Death Note, and I never really went crazy about that like so many people did. After reading this thread, I may go look up that Ranma live action, though I don't really expect much from it.

That said, the silly rumors about a cowboy bebop movie are based on internet culture and western obsession with the dubbed version of that anime. If there is live action of it made, it likely will at least be made in the country of origin. It seems silly to think that they would use anyone from US movies.

I think like any sort of movie production or television show, as they advance from the original they change. This doesn't always mean the change is bad(Example: Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Stargate), but those who know the original tend to think those books, movies, tv shows, or whatever are better. I find this happening already when I try to watch anime I have read the manga of. Very rarely are they exactly the same, and even minor differences can frustrate me.

It's like having to translate something multiple times, the further you get away from the original the more the meaning can get totally screwed up. Sure it may be possible to keep that original if every last attempt is faithful, but when we are talking about going to live action from anime(after likely originating in manga or a novel, or a game), the people making the live action, likely are less purists, and more trying to make money off of the original concept's popularity. I think it's a fundamental flaw in the showbiz industry of any culture, the focus is less on making something amazing or original 90% of the time, and more about making something under budget that is good enough to profit those who worked on it.

Edited by Haika

I've only seen a few, so here's how I feel:

Gantz - worked ok, didn't see the second movie.

Sailor Moon - was funny, but ridiculous

Cutie Honey - never saw/read the original, can't really comment

G-Saviour (Gundam) - one of the worst offenders