Rewrite review by Phantasm

This is a mostly spoiler free review .So feel free to read it .

I read Rewrite by using Chinese patch but English patch is still undertranslating so keep that in mind.

http://s.vndb.org/cv/22/10022.jpg

Rewrite is the final installment of KEY (without counting fan-disc) and like its previous predecessor ,it is a Nakige and in some case Utsuge. So if you hate tear-jerking or depressing VN ,you shouldn't read Rewrite .

Story :Rewrite is set in the fictional city "Kazamatsuri" where surrounding are filled with green trees,a beautiful forest and mountain .Our protagonist ,Tennouji Kotarou live there with his friends. He thought his peaceful and lively daily-life would last forever but everything changed when he met supernatural existence known as Demon .

The story of rewrite is divided into two parts .The common route is about kotarou and his friends doing stupid thing and laughing together and another half is about how the girls are related to that supernatural phenomenon and how Kotarou will stay beside them and solve their problems .The common route is the most enjoyable one from KEY .Constant funny talks and parodies(animes+mangas+J-drama etc) combined with amazing voice-acting is very entertaining .

I can promise that you will find it pretty enjoyable .It is also considerably long too . http://i.imgur.com/BOTvr.jpg

Kazamatsuri,A city surrounded by Nature

Characters :Every character from Rewrite is enjoyable and easy to remember .

Tennouji Kotarou :

http://s.vndb.org/ch/54/5554.jpg

Our protagonist,Tennouji Kotarou is a carefree and meddlesome high-school student .He likes to tease others and getting carried away easily.He also has maid fetish xD(A typical type of guy that we will find in real-life).

He is awesome because he is pretty active in Love affair,takes initiative if needed and will protect the one he loves with his life .He also has a special power of his own.

Kanbe Kotori :

http://s.vndb.org/ch/55/5555.jpg

A cute and plant loving girl who is kotarou childhood friend .Speaking of Childhood friend,you will think that she is dere dere for Kotarou but WRONG ,she actually rejected kotarou's confession in the past.Her VA is pretty good too,sweet voice .She is my favorite girl in Rewrite.

Ootori Chihaya:

http://s.vndb.org/ch/58/5558.jpg

Chihaya is a Clumsy ,Air-headed girl who has inhuman strength .She is also a weak Tsundere .Her air-head personality make her a good comedic character.

She is pretty funny to see in Tsun state(actually not that tsun) and cute in dere state.(not that dere either)

Senri Akane :

http://s.vndb.org/ch/59/5559.jpg

A mysterious senpai who doesn't give off senpai-aura.She is also lazy and a crazy FPS gamer.Her loli form is pretty cute too.

Her route is my favorite one.Not much to say here unless I spoiled the story xD

Konohana Lucia :

http://s.vndb.org/ch/56/5556.jpg

Here comes your favorite Classic Tsundere(She Tsun and dere to the extreme extent). She is a tsundere class-president heroine who has a clean-freak trait and can eat very very spicy thing easily.She hates Kotarou because he lick her food-plate .

Her route is out of the place with the main story(even the branching point from common route differ from the rest) but it is pretty good,very emotional and sad.

Nakatsu Shizuru :

http://s.vndb.org/ch/57/5557.jpg

A cute kouhai heroine who is very shy and don't speak much so Kotarou reads her thought from her facial expressions(pretty interesting to watch). Her favorite dish is mackerel pike(a type of fish).

Also she don't use honorifics to everyone and call them by their last name.Her VA is also cute .

Her route is the most saddening one so prepare a tissue box for this xD.

The sixth heroine is supposed to be a hidden character so i will leave her out .

Route :There are a total of 8 routes in rewrite. 5 heroines route+ Moon+Terra and a side-route known as Oppai ending . Every route are different from each other even though the main story of Rewrite is based on one large event and they are pretty dramatic .

Moon and Terra are very well-written,pretty and interesting (Romeo really put effort in this).

If you want flaws,there is only two.

1-There are many wall of texts which are unimportant for the story progression

2-Some routes are misleading so you need to go with the flow to enjoy the story,in fact-that's true for most VN

Art :Character spirits and CGs are pretty good(some crappy CG exist though).

There are over 100 CGs with about 10+ for each heroine .Many facial expressions are used for each character so you will not find it repetitive .

http://i.imgur.com/tBzw4.jpg

An example of Crappy CG (what kind of face is that ^)

Sound :Rewrite used 2 OPs.The first OP "Philosophyz" will play after the introductory words and it is a pretty good song .The second OP "Rewrite" will play when you start "Moon" and it is good either(not as good as philosophyz). Also the second OP will spoil the story so you shouldn't watch it before reaching "Moon" .

The EDs are pretty good too except one.You will get 3 ending songs for 5 heroines (some songs are reused by 2 heroines). That exludes Moon and Terra EDs.

BGMs are also EPIC(better than Little Busters IMO) with over 50 + BGMs for each and every situation .

Amazing BGM of Rewrite

Memory and Quest System :This two are the new features in Rewrite .

Memory is an option used to review characters' biography,monsters' explanation and finished quests.

Quests are like mini-game.At some points in the game,you will be given a map and there will be round points across the map .You just need to select every point and read the dialogue for it.There are also hidden points.They will appear when your mouse-pointer touch the correct location so be sure to scan every map before proceeding.

This is only for your entertainment but finishing all quests is the requirement for unlocking "Oppai ending". http://i.imgur.com/UTmLu.jpg

An example of Quest mini-game

http://i.imgur.com/Hqk07.jpg

Memory tab

Fan service :KEY put a little fan-service in Rewrite ranging from Lucia maid uniform to Kotori naked scene.Guess KEY is really evolving here xD.

Conclusion:Rewrite is a good VN if you like VN with interesting storyline and dramatic scene(very saddening,keep that in mind) .

Every KEY and Nakige fan should read this VN just for the sake of Moon and Terra .You will not be disappointed with this two routes .

Also its common route is very entertaining which is a good plus .

Pros :

1-an action story from KEY is refreshing to see

2-Moon and Terra are one of the most well-written routes for a VN

3-Common route is very entertaining

4-BGMs and songs are epic and beautiful

5-Every heroine route is interesting to read

6-Contain many good dramatic scene

7-Memory system allows you to review every character biography.

8-Very long

9-No H-scene

Cons:

1-Wall of texts may bore some readers

2-Some routes are misleading to read(need to go with the flow to enjoy)

3-Some CGs are crappy

4-no H-scene

Final Score : 10000/10 (personal) 9.3/10 (logical)

Edited by phantasm
Add some CGs

If only Ixrec translation finished earlier .........

Well,I don't have any problem with Chinese one either so nevermind.

Btw,Ulti~~We are talking about same VN here .There is no such thing as better or worse when the translation's quality is the same.(Chinese translation is also pretty well-made)

I'm gonna keep my opinion about rewrite chinese patch review VS rewrite english patch review to myself. XD

Just wanted to ask you one thing since you listed the lack of H-scene as both a pro and cons at the same time. What is your personal view about it? Did you find it disappointing, or did you prefer the all-ages stuff?

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Just wanted to ask you one thing since you listed the lack of H-scene as both a pro and cons at the same time. What is your personal view about it? Did you find it disappointing, or did you prefer the all-ages stuff?

I prefer all-ages for Rewrite not because it is from KEY but because its atmosphere is unsuitable for H-scene.(I can't explain it farther without spoiling the story)

Listing lack of H-scene as both pros and cons is because some people play VN only for H .

But I want to see Oppai ending .Damn quests ,why can't I finish all. :(

Edited by phantasm
  • 1 month later...
IXREC version will have a better ways to express the VN~~

You didn't even read the english nor the chinese translation but you're comparing them? What is this, I don't even...

Rewrite

I finished all of the character routes and seriously, there's a huge difference in quality.

Oh well, I may write an own review feat. Rewrite...someday...probably...

Just tell me one thing, does the quality took a nosedive on Chihaya and Shizuru's routes? Or was it on some other routes?

Well, it's just my opinion but I did't like Asterix's Chihaya's and Akane's route at all. Lucia has in my eyes the best route.

1.Lucia

2.Kotori

3.Shizuru

4.Akane

5.Asterix

Well, it's just my opinion but I did't like Asterix's Chihaya's and Akane's route at all. Lucia has in my eyes the best route.

1.Lucia

2.Kotori

3.Shizuru

4.Akane

5.Asterix

In what order did you play the routes?

I played Kotori, Chihaya, Chizuru, Lucia and Akane. Kotori route was too sad, so when I played Chihaya I found it was better since it wasn't depressing or anything (and Chihaya's "brother" was cool). Chizuru was sad too (the end in particular), Lucia was great (but Kotarou was really dense in that route), and finally Akane route was interesting. I guess it's ok if I don't like the endings since there should be a "true end" with the last 2 routes : I can't wait.

So I'd say Lucia=Chihaya>Akane>Kotori=Chizuru. It's a shame I had to rank Kotori route last when she's the best heroine imo...

Well, it's just my opinion but I did't like Asterix's Chihaya's route at all.

That is Tonokawa's writing after all. He is only good at writing happy, comedy, non-sense route.

I did't like Akane's route at all

Really ?? Everyone I know(including me) said Akane has the best route in rewrite(not counting kagari that is) . Well, it is your taste after all. No offense here.

For me,

1. Akane

2. Shizuru

3. kotori

4. Chihaya(

I like happy ending :D

)

5. Lucia (

kotarou became as dense as neutron star at last minute stripped my points

)

In fact, I really liked the Romance in Rewrite.

In what order did you play the routes?

Kotori->Asterix->Chizuru->Lucia->Akane

but Kotarou was really dense in that route

Well, that's Kotarou for you. He can be quite badass though (yeah I'm looking at you akane's route!!!).

It's a shame I had to rank Kotori route last when she's the best heroine imo...

She definitely is the best heroine but it seems that we've to wait for the fandisc, and then I'll finally get some lovey dovey action with amazing Kotori

That is Tonokawa's writing after all. He is only good at writing happy, comedy, non-sense route.

Wasn't he the guy who also wrote some routes of little busters?

Everyone I know(including me) said Akane has the best route in rewrite

Haha, well now you know a person who didn't like her route. =D

If you want to know why, I wrote for Desi a tiny (spoiler free) review, feel free to read it as well.

I just finished her route and to be honest, I didn't like it all. It wasn't as bad as Asterix's route but still very mediocre. There were some good moments but also a bunch of awkward ones. There were also some things which didn't make any sense. I can't explain what, because I'd have to spoil, but it's pretty much like this; the common route's telling you that a specific car can go 200 at max but in Akane's route in goes 250 without any problems. Which means that you're reading the scene and thinking, oh man, shit, it can go that fast so what'll happen now? Well, nothing...wut? Another big problem were those sudden personality changes of Akane. Anyway, the ending itself was actually pretty stupid and the romance was somehow non-existent, it was even worse than in Kotori's route. Also, the route mainly cares about the story and not about the character so you should play her route defintiely at last.

In fact, I really liked the Romance in Rewrite.

I personally found the romance in Kotori's and Akane's route rather weak.

Edited by OneManArmy

She definitely is but it seems that we've to wait for the fandisc, then I'll finally get some lovey dovey action with amazing Kotori

...probably...

Well, this may seem like boasting(since I have already read Rewrite:HF).

But just to add more fuel to your guys anticipation, Kotori got a closure in fan-disc and it was a very well-done route(in fact, the best route for Harvest Festa)