Visual Novels Translation Status [12/16/2012]

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it like the 2nd spoiler for the same novel? :confused:

Yeah... so you spoiled Swan Song twice. Can you just edit it out or at least use spoiler tags? Most people around here hate spoilers and don't want the story ruined for them.

Most people around here hate spoilers and don't want the story ruined for them.

I for one certainly don't come to the translation status thread for spoilers, since obviously I'm looking for news about games I have not yet played. Common courtesy to at least toss up a spoiler tag. (I do tend to check VNDB for tags to see if a game revolves around rape or netorare so I can know what I'm getting into/skip it, but that's my choice.)

I recently played through a short game as a proof-of-concept for my ability to play games with machine-translation assistance (I have reasonable Japanese comprehension, but most kanji and a lot of slang/dialect stuff is beyond me) and it went pretty well. I think that new Pulltop game may tempt me into tackling a more ambitious project, since Princess Waltz was my first eroge and it still holds a special nostalgic place in my heart. If it's as good as it looks maybe I'll crusade for a proper translation.

The first part of Princess Waltz is really really really good, if the 2nd part didn't exist people would be recommending it as one of the best eroges alongside FSN and that kinda stuff.

EDIT : About the protagonist talk, I prefer the badass kinda of protagonist.The guy that always wins, gets what he wants, is honorable, strong and is just downright awesome.

The first part of Princess Waltz is really really really good, if the 2nd part didn't exist people would be recommending it as one of the best eroges alongside FSN and that kinda stuff.

... ... ... What? Really? I mean, I haven't read it so I wouldn't truly know, but that still sounds crazy. I've never heard anyone else say something along those lines until now. The first part of Princess Waltz is THAT good?

Yeah, the first part of princess waltz is really good, at least that's how I thought of it back then.The card game is kind annoying but the story and the battle scenes are really good, I recommend anyone who hasn't played it yet to do so.

The second part on the other hand is pretty average, it's more like an excuse for fan service really.

EDIT : And yeah, I kinda like Rance, although I dislike the "rapist" part of him a bit he's still pretty much my favorite eroge protagonist out there.

EDIT 2 : By the way let me clarify something, Princess Waltz isn't good in a deep story sense like Fate Stay Night.I remember back then I thought Princess Waltz should have been an anime and I still think that way.

It's sorta like your typical fighting / tournament anime with pretty chicks in it.The story is kinda cliched but it was somewhat well done and considering the short amount of screen time some characters have I thought they were pretty much all very well developed.

The fighting scenes are the highlight of the game though, they're very well written and you can imagine what's going well pretty well.

There might be some nostalgia in what I say though, PW was the first "action" VN I read if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Soren619

It really is pretty amazing (although yes, the second part is relatively meh). I wouldn't compare it to something like F/SN because F/SN is a huge narrative masterwork that you need to slowly digest and appreciate, whereas I consider PW to be more of what I call a "popcorn" game: entertaining without being too deep or thought-provoking (a category some of my guilty-pleasure nukige fit into as well). PW has some of the best production values I've seen so far, to the point where I was kind of spoiled for moving on to other games, particularly older ones. The art is way above par, especially the paperdolls (which have way more detail and variety than a lot of other games), the music is excellent, and it manages to convey a surprising sense of movement and action during the battle scenes for a game with only static images. Plus the card battle system is quite good for a minigame; gives a good break from the reading and makes you feel a little more invested in the action (unlike a certain recent mangagamer title I could name...). Probably the biggest weak point is the plot, which is passable but not excellent. The characters are likeable enough, but with a few exceptions they aren't really all that interesting, and none of them is terribly well-developed.

tl;dr: it's a good game and you should really play it if you haven't, especially because it's not particularly long.

(edited to remove poorly formatted quote)

Edited by takayuki

Yes, that's exactly what I meant.

Basically FSN is a very good deep visual novel, mostly centered around the story, while PW is like an action anime, it makes you feel excited and curious about what's gonna happen, it's a lot more action centered.

Rewrite updates for the Moon arc.

Moon

Scripts: 1.45/3 (48.33%)

Lines: 1556.1/4044 (38.48%)

KB: 51.06/134.64 (37.92%)

Total Lines: 87489.1/101220 (86.43%)

And I thought this thread would turn into a Princess Waltz discussion round.

Anyway, thx for that update.

Ok, I've edited it using spoiler just for you... oh, I mean for "most people around here that hate spoilers (about Swan Song) and don't want the story ruined for them."

Let me know what games your looking forward to playing so i can return the favor to you.