New VN localization company: MoeNovel

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can they possibly think they can get young girls to play this? Young girls don't want to play male characters having romances with girl's they want to BE A GIRL and have a romance with a sexy vampire that's why Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom was such a success. Make an Otome game if you want to do that, or a game that isn't focused on romance. Why would anyone want a watered down version of an VN?

This is like taking some romance out and adding explosions to a chick flick so they can appeal to the male audience too.

Someone made a count of the line count. Supposedly, 12% or so of the lines are removed: Most likely h-scenes and whatnot.

/jp/ - Otaku Culture

And under that post is the voice edits/removals:

69 voice files have been edited. (Mostly to remove kissing sounds, dirty jokes.. etc)

2642 voice files found in JP version missing in EN version. (H scenes I would assume.)

369 new voice files found in EN version but not in JP version.

In total:

JP: 21,499 files

EN: 19,226 files

Most likely h-scene voice removal.

You guys should just get over with it. I don't like this move by moenovel, but what can you do? Mangagamer already gave them some ideas on how to approach to the market.

Because pulltop is the parent company and pulltop doesn't have any all ages novels that I know of. What kills me though is why didn't they just make 2 versions. I don't think it would of been that much more time consuming. Then everyone would of been happy. I like to buy games and I would of bought it in a heartbeat if it were uncensored. I wouldn't of even cared if they censored the just the sex part. They could of showed them disappearing behind closed doors, or did like a PG movie and showed them under the covers. I don't have to see the actual H-scene, I just like to know that the characters did it. It adds a bit more realism because frankly, that's what high school kids do, at least the attractive ones anyway. I'm way out of high school, but I had lots of fun when I was there. Hell, you can see kiss scenes in rated G movies. Pulltop may be under the wrong impression of the west. Maybe they think we are offended by kisses and stuff.

More aaeru machine tl? Do not want.

Also if this gets done they should just do a patch for the original japanese version instead of the english one.

Edited by Savon
TL: Aaeru will TL h-scenes' date=' but more translators needed. " = the horror... I don't even what to go to /jp/ to see the comments about this.[/quote']

So thats about 8000 lines to be TLed

http://forums.fuwanovel.org/index.php?/topic/1461-kono-oozora-h-scenes-porting-project/page__view__findpost__p__23081

Plus maybe some more people would volunteer to do translating, and speed it up.

If you need more than two translators just to fix the mess, then it's either you are not competent enough, or you lack the motivation to finish it. Having multiple translators for one project is never a good thing.

Slow speed isn't a problem either, and they should remember well that one of the reasons MoeNovel translation sucks was because they rushed it.

Edit 1:

also don’t expect the sex to be translated real well. It’s like 3,000+ lines of sex, It’s going to wear on me so I’m just going to fly through them.

Looks like I was right. ┐( ̄︶ ̄)┌

Edit 2:

Editors: native English speakers with some experience, will work on MN's original TL to make it Natural English

They don't just need editors for MoeNovel's original translation. Their translator should also check if there is any mistranslation on MoeNovel part too.

Edit 3:

^

inb4 Aaeru C&D post.

Rusanon doesn't care about C&D, which I supposed is good. V

I dont care about C&Ds, and advertising this could actually let people know we are working on restoring scenes, so they may delay reading the game.
Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
Q3. Is the company working on localizing any other VNs currently?

Yes, I cannot reveal the names of the titles but we are in the middle of preparations.

Source: [link]

Oh great, I wonder what visual novels they're gonna butcher *ahem* I mean localize next.

Also if this gets done they should just do a patch for the original japanese version instead of the english one.

This, MN probably remove the voice for those h/ecchi event too. So it should be better to use the script to create the patch for the original Jp release. Still if that were to happend expect another 6 mount or a year to do so....

This, MN probably remove the voice for those h/ecchi event too. So it should be better to use the script to create the patch for the original Jp release. Still if that were to happend expect another 6 mount or a year to do so....

They won't do that. The patch will be for the English version for a couple of reasons, including technicalities, but I suspect one of the main reasons is because they wanted to show MoeNovel that the patching project won't harm its market. If it's for the original version, people (including potential MoeNovel customer) will just pirate the Japanese version instead of buying the localized game.

Of course, I could be wrong and this is all just my imagination, and the real reason is because it is easier to patch MoeNovel version compared to Jap version.

Funny twitter conversation revolving around the snitching of Aaeru's patching news.

Yep, seems like people already use that particular argument.

The patch will be for the English version to show MoeNovel that the patching project won't harm its market.

They won't do that. The patch will be for the English version for a couple of reasons, including technicalities, but I suspect one of the main reasons is because they wanted to show MoeNovel that the patching project won't harm its market. If it's for the original version, people (including potential MoeNovel customer) will just pirate the Japanese version instead of buying the localized game.

Of course, I could be wrong and this is all just my imagination, and the real reason is because it is easier to patch MoeNovel version compared to Jap version.

Actually it is not matter which version is the patch will be as long as it added back all the butchered part (CG, Voice etc etc)

But I guess we will get the patch for the EN first if that were to be release

But I guess we will get the patch for the EN first if that were to be release

I think it is safe to conclude that there will never be a patch for the Japanese version of Konosora, unless they want a debate and drama about morality, legality, and such with MoeNovel imo. But who really knows.

This project is already treading on a thin line, but by making it available for MoeNovel version only, they might be able to avoid MoeNovel taking action on them. I just wished that they are wise enough to find a better translator than Aaeru.

My question is how much can they actually fix with the patch? How much was changed butchered in the Moenovel version (obviously H scenes, but a chunk of the story was altered as well (which was the bit that pissed me off, at any rate))? Moenovel are really stupid if they take action against the patch if it only works with their version of the game. If they were smart and played their cards right, they could actually make money out of it and prove that they're actually willing to work with the community.

By the way, that last line was a joke. Of course they'll never get off their high horse and do that, hahaha.

My question is how much can they actually fix with the patch? How much was changed butchered in the Moenovel version (obviously H scenes, but a chunk of the story was altered as well (which was the bit that pissed me off, at any rate))?

Their translator (which they haven't found yet, except Aaeru - the h-scenes translator) will have to compare both text to spot the overall lines alteration, and not just inserting the omitted lines, because I'm pretty sure that some of the routes overall context and lines have been altered to suit all-ages. An editor won't be enough to fix the English, their translator should imo check the accuracy and alteration of the translated portion too.

Two phases:

1) Fast release of Sex Patch as soon as possible. (re-add removed scenes. nothing else. i’ll be translating them all in one go

>also don’t expect the sex to be translated real well. It’s like 3,000+ lines of sex, It’s going to wear on me so I’m just going to fly through them.

I think this first phase will be successful, albeit with a "rushed" translation job. (They really don't learn from MoeNovel mistake, do they?)

2) Several months later, a SECOND patch with improved translations which fixes the unnatural English will be released.

This I personally think, won't happen. Even if it somehow did, the only people who would be willing to work with fuwa will either be an amateur with just very basic knowledge of Japanese or an MT assisted translators.

Except, if Cudder offering to help. Then it would be on a whole different level. :p

I agree that a proper retranslation is almost impossible, but if they manage the following we would have already got an improvement

- uncensored CGs (easy, just replace them)

- restored H-scenes with a machine translation (medium, lots of data needed, not perfect but well...)

- kissing animations (no idea how complicated that would be, they would have to mess with the scripts and engine, or copy it from the japanese version)

We'll see, but at least the motivation earns admiration.

- restored H-scenes with a machine translation (medium, lots of data needed, not perfect but well...)

You got that one right, Aaeru is a machine translator after all.

AaAaAa~~

And this was when he's trying his best. Can't wait to see what Konosora looks like after he "flies through them."

at least the motivation earns

..l..