New VN localization company: MoeNovel

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like he's just picking the interviewers/site doing the interview country and tossing some number close to the teen rating the game has (the other interview was on a french site if i recall correctly). And about the girls when the game is clearly aimed at male audience... well your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is he's basing it off the fact that in the west the Romance genre is mostly a female thing, with Romance being usually a side plot at most in male targeted media. That being said, Otome does exist even in the west and it's apparently done well enough for Askys to keep releasing more, which just makes the choice of a male targeted eroge even more odd.

I don't think they've turned anything upside down... yet. They've had a lot of poo thrown at them by people on the internet, but that's a tediously common occurance these days and isn't, by itself, a noteworthy achievement :D

I don't think they've turned anything upside down... yet. They've had a lot of poo thrown at them by people on the internet, but that's a tediously common occurance these days and isn't, by itself, a noteworthy achievement :D

you must be new here.

.......Really???? :rolleyes:

While i dont agree with what Moenovel is doing(some things) i have to say you are right that this is way too overblown mostly probably because people dont have what to talk about.

Correct. So im just gonna say one thing to take the foul mood off this whole issue : Sumika.

"I fully understand that this isn’t going to be an easy ride. But our number one motivation is in wanting people all over the world to know about the Japanese-born game genre known as visual novels. Business is important, too, but that motivation is stronger. Rather than quitting because we hear that the Western market is a difficult, we’re going to give it a try. We at MoeNovel really take this to heart."

Source: New Visual Novel Publisher MoeNovel Say They Won’t Give Up On The West: [link]

Source: New Visual Novel Publisher MoeNovel Say They Won’t Give Up On The West: [link]

Seriously, they're focusing on the resolution of all things.... >_>

I'm all for pretty art, but I'm pretty sure most people would take a good story over somewhat better looking sprites.

I've posted my stance on MoeNovel's release on Visual Novel Aer: Why I won’t be buying If My Heart Had Wings | Visual Novel Aer

That's a pretty decent article, but I have a couple of (minor) issues concerning it.

While its actions alone are enough to raise ire, MoeNovel has added fuel to the fire with careless quips like this:

For example, we want 12 year old French girls who like anime to know about [our title] as well, and make it so that there is no problem appealing it to these girls.

12-year-old French girls? You expect 12-year-old French girls to:

1.Buy a game from an online shopping site

2.in English

3.That’s a text novel (in their 2nd language, assuming they know English)

4.That puts the reader in the shoes of a male protagonist, and is

5.About falling in love with one of several high school girls

You're going to have to help me out here. I've heard this quote thrown around (although sometimes it's '13 year old French girl' or even '14 year old French girl') but I can't find the original interview it came from. What I have found, instead, is an interview on the web where Moenovel said this:

For example, if a 13-year-old girl in the UK who happens to be an anime fan saw If My Heart Had Wings on Rice Digital and became interested, she might then visit MoeNovel’s official website or Facebook page, and might even write about it on her Facebook page. This is the flow of things we expect in attaining a game rating. We think it’s important to try to appeal to people who might be thinking, “I have always liked Japanese anime and manga, but have never played visual novels”, or “I don’t really understand what’s so great about the visual novels that have been released in the west so far.”

If you look at our Facebook, you’ll see that young girls are also starting to take interest. In Japan this would be unthinkable, where 90% of players are male.

Interview with Fujisan from MoeNovel | Rice Digital

Which is fair enough really. Also, concerning points 4 and 5 above, Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 was pretty popular with girls, and that game involved a male protagonist who romanced female high school students. My sister can't get enough of Persona 4, for example.

The translation quality is also not very good, and reportedly it’s downright awful in certain sections.

True, but the demo is not the final version of the game and the translation is being done by the same people who did Demon Souls, one of the greatest rpgs of the generation. They are a proven translation company and should be given the benefit of the doubt until we have seen the release version.

Seriously, they're focusing on the resolution of all things.... >_>

I'm all for pretty art, but I'm pretty sure most people would take a good story over somewhat better looking sprites.

Assuming that they're gonna stick to "high-resolution visual novels" by PULLTOP then there's Konosora and the fandisk, and also Kanojo to Ore to Koibito to which are in 1280 x 720.

But yeah, that focus on the resolution of the visual novel itself is kinda weird/dumb..

You're going to have to help me out here. I've heard this quote thrown around (although sometimes it's '13 year old French girl' or even '14 year old French girl') but I can't find the original interview it came from.

Here's the link to the original interview: http://projetsaya.fr/?page_id=308

Edited by Famichip

You're going to have to help me out here. I've heard this quote thrown around (although sometimes it's '13 year old French girl' or even '14 year old French girl') but I can't find the original interview it came from. What I have found, instead, is an interview on the web where Moenovel said this:

Interview with Fujisan, producer at Moenovel | Projet Saya

Saya : What do you think you have to do to appeal to the western market?

Fujisan : Firstly, we need to try to expand the knowledge of its existence.

For example, we want 12 year old French girls who like anime to know about it as well, and make it so that there is no problem appealing it to these girls. Thus we will need to make it easy for such girls to tell their friends who also like the same type of anime.

True, but the demo is not the final version of the game and the translation is being done by the same people who did Demon Souls, one of the greatest rpgs of the generation. They are a proven translation company and should be given the benefit of the doubt until we have seen the release version.

You might not know, or I don't know why you would make this comment, but the VN is released, and people have already commented on how bad the TL in parts is.

Edit: This thread is were most of the conversation takes place. Should read through it: Too bad they are ruining this game.

Edited by strom
That's a pretty decent article, but I have a couple of (minor) issues concerning it.

Interview with Fujisan from MoeNovel | Rice Digital

Which is fair enough really. Also, concerning points 4 and 5 above, Persona 3 and 4 on the PS2 was pretty popular with girls, and that game involved a male protagonist who romanced female high school students. My sister can't get enough of Persona 4, for example.

The actual game has been shown to have really stiff and sometimes just wrong English. There's some screen shots floating around, I think they're earlier in the thread if you're interested.

Assuming that they're gonna stick to "high-resolution visual novels" by PULLTOP then there's Konosora and the fandisk, and also Kanojo to Ore to Koibito to which are in 1280 x 720.

But yeah, that focus on the resolution of the visual novel itself is kinda weird/dumb..

2 whole games, good long term plan there.

Edited by Bikes
You're going to have to help me out here. I've heard this quote thrown around (although sometimes it's '13 year old French girl' or even '14 year old French girl') but I can't find the original interview it came from.

I did hyperlink the interview that quote came from (click the "this").

While its actions alone are enough to raise ire, MoeNovel has added fuel to the fire with careless quips like this:

Your other concerns have been addressed by the posters above me. The example gallery I linked (for translation errors) was compiled from the release version.

Edited by sanahtlig

The game's released already?! When did this happen? Last time I looked it was still weeks away. Shit, where does the time go?

Sorry, I've been real busy last couple of months :(. Just catching up with everything now. Did the translation show any improvements over the demo?

The game's released already?! When did this happen? Last time I looked it was still weeks away. Shit, where does the time go?

Sorry, I've been real busy last couple of months :(. Just catching up with everything now. Did the translation show any improvements over the demo?

Was released on June 28th.

Didn't read the demo translations, but as myself and other pointed out, there's been a lot of reported flaws in the full release. I'm getting the game in a week or so, so I'll probably have a quick look before shelving it for the fan patch to fix everything so I can post what I find then (Or you can just get the version from this site if you really care).

Didn't read the demo translations, but as myself and other pointed out, there's been a lot of reported flaws in the full release. I'm getting the game in a week or so, so I'll probably have a quick look before shelving it for the fan patch to fix everything so I can post what I find then (Or you can just get the version from this site if you really care).

*Bleh*, no thanks. Not my type of game. I support what Moenovel is trying to do, because the industry is in decline and opening up new markets won't hurt it, but I don't have the dosh to buy a game I'm not interested in. I struggle to find enough money to buy the games I AM interested in.

I'm too poor. I need to find a rich woman, marry her and freeload off her for the rest of my life *ho ho ho*

*Bleh*, no thanks. Not my type of game. I support what Moenovel is trying to do, because the industry is in decline and opening up new markets won't hurt it, but I don't have the dosh to buy a game I'm not interested in. I struggle to find enough money to buy the games I AM interested in.

I'm too poor. I need to find a rich woman, marry her and freeload off her for the rest of my life *ho ho ho*

By using this site I meant the non supporting route, but either way doesn't really matter xD

By using this site I meant the non supporting route, but either way doesn't really matter xD

I hadn't realised it had already been uploaded :confused: It makes sense now, but I'm a little out of it atm, it's taking me some time to readjust ;) I might download it just to laugh at the translation.

Anyone else think this move reeks of desperation brought on by the state of the industry in Japan? Moenovel is a sister company of Pulltop, right (please tell me I have this piece of information correct XD)It feels like this wasn't just a push into western markets, this was a pretty damn aggressive move which came almost out of the blue to try and open itself up to as many new potential buyers as possible. Anyone know how Pulltop's sales doing in Japan?

Edited by Rooke