Violet Hill: A Community VN Project - Development

@Helvetica

Maybe you could add an option to return to the last choice whenever you get a bad ending? i hate when i get one and realize i haven't saved since i started =_=

You want a jumpback feature... hmmm, I wouldn't mind to add one but there's not that many bad ends

that would break your game if you run into one without saving. Best thing to do is save once a choice pops up.

There are VN's however where this feature would actually come in handy, like FSN and its 40+ bad ends XD

If I find myself abusing bad ends too much (20+ or more) then I will create jumpback points for you guys.

That or enable the rollback feature for choice segments :3

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That map you've implemented is pretty nice, but I have a question about the UI design choice. I played a few OELVNs and saw screenshots of many on vndb. Most of them seem to go for the "katawa shoujo" soft font and UI design. Is that kind of the default look or something you picked?

I understand that you're doing everything alone and that you're not some graphics designer, but I'm wondering if making something other then then "soft UI" is a viable option?

That map you've implemented is pretty nice, but I have a question about the UI design choice. I played a few OELVNs and saw screenshots of many on vndb. Most of them seem to go for the "katawa shoujo" soft font and UI design. Is that kind of the default look or something you picked?

I understand that you're doing everything alone and that you're not some graphics designer, but I'm wondering if making something other then then "soft UI" is a viable option?

I'm actually a graphic designer XD, killer you break my heart 3

I've always been a minimalist when it comes to my work and I believe design is all about function and purpose.

I do like to spice things up every now and then but so far my boss and my clients are satisfied with my work.

The UI is a standard template included with Ren'py however I customized the color scheme, text box, and splash screens.

I'm using a .otf font called ("abscissa" a version I modified myself so it would fit with the reticle of the VN.) Using regular

non optimized fonts makes them look out of place or misaligned to menus, among other stuff.

I actually wanted to go crazy with the UI and make something flashy and less squarey, but sadly Ren'py offers limited options

when it comes down to tayloring user interface. Splash screens offer the most freedom (The main menu screen for example is a design of mine.)

UI might see some changes in the future, but as I said I like things simple and functional. If you guys have any suggestions on this I will gladly post

screenshots with alternative UI's and then we will vote upon them :)

I like having the map, I think that can really engage the reader if they're more involved in the story.

Also, get desi as a voice actor for all the heroines. His hanako-voice will save the day!

Or get mine so that all people will instantly delete the game folder...

Uhh nevermind.

It's a problem if he plans to widely distribute it/charge for it. But if it's just something on the forum for people to play, it's not really a problem.

This. He'll be fine as long as he doesn't plan to make any money with his visual novel. And most japanese companies don't care about the rest of the world anyway. Although Minori is NOT one of them.

OMA volunteers to do the ED.

Fuck yes! You just finished an awesome game, you're emotional unstable and then bamm! My voice right in your face! Instant death. \o/

Edit: This reminds me Desi. I've currently vacations soooo what's up with our skype conversation plan? :3

isn't using stuff like Rewrite bgi and ef bgm a problem?

As I mentioned on the first post:

*Please note that I'm doing this VN on my own, with no additional help and in my free time. As such, I have not the manpower

or resources to provide future readers with original artwork (including mugshots,CG and backgrounds) original musical score

or voice acting. If I were to get support once released I would gladly indulge in your kindness, but for now MOST OF THE

COSMETIC MATERIALS ARE --PLACEHOLDERS--.

*The VN is free and will be distributed as such once it's completed. Theme is romance/sci fi

Update! :3

bgm has undergone some changes, now i'll be using KEY music, a couple of ef songs and several other songs from games and other media.

(basically what I believe fits the mood best) also some of those are my favorite bgm's! :3

-OMA totally has to sing the ED!! desi has to do the solo! XDDDD

-chocogami will provide us with his delectable voice for a heartwarming final monologue

Edited by Helvetica Standard

I could do some minor voice acting if it's, like, a narrator or something that doesn't have much to say :p I'll try to sound like filch

. And if OMA sang the ED (with a desi duet!!) that'd be the best thing in the world. Dammit, it'd be so cool if there was a composer for the music though...

EDIT: It should sound like

, except replace yoshino in the lyrics and pictures with utli and have it play after the yaoi true end. Do it. Edited by Chocolatemilkgod