Violet Hill: A Community VN Project - Development

Just in case there was any confusion, this is a NEW REVAMPED demo with the backgrounds and music that'll likely be used in the full game (well, they're subject to change, but they'll give you a good idea). Some of the text at the beginning needs some QC, but that's really the only bit that needs much work (and not too terribly much, at that).

If someone says that they forgot about the thread again, I fear for helv's sanity.

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod
  • Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got on the forums today to see the beta, downloading right now, will play it for the next two days, get a general gist of the game and will PM you if I see any problems (Like text fucking up, CROSS CHANNEL I'M LOOKING AT YOU!, and stuff) Looking forward to how this project of yours has turned out

Just got on the forums today to see the beta, downloading right now, will play it for the next two days, get a general gist of the game and will PM you if I see any problems (Like text fucking up, CROSS CHANNEL I'M LOOKING AT YOU!, and stuff) Looking forward to how this project of yours has turned out

You might want to wait because there will be a new version coming out in the next few hours..ish. Still, which ever version you play, looking forward to hearing your thoughts

EDIT: Correction, updated demo will be out soon™. It appears Helv's internet is on the fritz.

Update! :3

Here's the changelog as of January 5th 2014:

-Prologue: Release Candidate, ready for QC, currently being tested by Azada and Linkman19

-Chapter 1: Release Candidate, ready for QC, currently being tested by Azada and Linkman19 .

-Chapter 2: Beta, Currently being edited by Chocolatemilkgod.

-Chapter 3: Beta, ready for editing.

-Chapter 4: Beta, ready for editing.

-Chapter 5: Beta, ready for editing.

-Chapter 6: Beta, Ready for editing.

-Chapter 7: Alpha, currently checking.

-Chapter 8: 0%

-Rin's route: 100%

-Kanade's route: 5%

-Akane's route: 0%

-Yuki's route: 10%

-Satsuki's route: 0%

-Yaoi arc: Alpha, in scripting and checking.

DEMO 2.0 is ready!!! check it out. (This DEMO is a revamped version of the previous one and features some additional content as well as bugfixes. Some stuff is still subject to changes, however.)

Download here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2n35789ewhvzwwn/Violet%20Hill%20DEMO-2.0-win.rar

"Project Violet" Staff Team Members: (as of January 5th 2014)

Writing, programming, scripting and design: Helvetica Standard.

Editor in chief: Chocolatemilkgod.

QC and chibi art: Hazel-bun (MIA)

QC: Kaskade (waiting for signs of life XD)

Beta Testing: linkman19, yachi, Azada, Kaguya.

Lyrics for yaoi end: OMA

That's it for now. I'll leave you with some NEW screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/Botk4dR.png

http://i.imgur.com/zzFNr4U.png

http://i.imgur.com/15pyXXp.png

http://i.imgur.com/0DabRgi.png

http://i.imgur.com/jr86MKw.png

http://i.imgur.com/XsYsfwa.png

http://i.imgur.com/hYAaidz.png

http://i.imgur.com/mJfrgoZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/VzNHWTe.png

http://i.imgur.com/RZGt8j2.png

http://i.imgur.com/mHCXEuL.png

http://i.imgur.com/JT2Wa3L.png

http://i.imgur.com/TYA4S6w.png

http://i.imgur.com/xl0hdcJ.png

I'll keep you updated!

Edited by Helvetica Standard

Here is a general change log for people that are curious.

Changelog

• Revamped sprites
  • Additional sprites added (phone, notes etc.)
  • Further editing on the script (should be pretty clean bar a few minor typos/errors)
  • New lines have been added to enhance detail
  • New title screen
  • Fixed a crash error whenever you tried to enter the fringe in Mindstorm

Okay Finish the demo and here is some feedback

The writing/story is interesting so far, the introduction and the bit of characters backstory is inviting for me

The Mindstrom concept is good, I like how you mix in the real psychology theories stuffs in too, since I once studies those in my university time mentioning them and involve them in the story made the suspension of disbelief stronger.

there are some anime related cliche here and there which I dont mind since it suppose to be VN style.

And compare to the demo 1.0 having those popup CG (phone, blackboard etc.) really improve the reading pleasure

Now I like to knew more and how will it end, So keep up a good work

Ps. I still thinks the "raining outside" sound is still like a dragging something around sound

Ps II. How long did a chapter last? It still feel like the demo is only half of a chapter 1 to me

Hi Helvetica! Sorry I was kinda assuming you'd drop me an inbox or something, haven't really kept up to date with this thread.

I'm here now though

Edit: Downloading now :)

Welcome back! :D

Since you're downloading the demo, please use it for the first QC pass and give me your feedback vía TXT file.

I'll make the changes to the script based on that and then send you the scripts for the second QC pass, ok?

Okay Finish the demo and here is some feedback

The writing/story is interesting so far, the introduction and the bit of characters backstory is inviting for me

The Mindstrom concept is good, I like how you mix in the real psychology theories stuffs in too, since I once studies those in my university time mentioning them and involve them in the story made the suspension of disbelief stronger.

there are some anime related cliche here and there which I dont mind since it suppose to be VN style.

And compare to the demo 1.0 having those popup CG (phone, blackboard etc.) really improve the reading pleasure

Now I like to knew more and how will it end, So keep up a good work

Ps. I still thinks the "raining outside" sound is still like a dragging something around sound

Ps II. How long did a chapter last? It still feel like the demo is only half of a chapter 1 to me

Many thanks for your kind words and support, it helps a lot, really. :3

1. I plan on changing the rain on the roof SFX (i'm hunting the net for a more appropriate sound effect)

2. You read fast! XD prologue and chapter 1 last a little more than 1 hour.

Hi Helvetica! Sorry I was kinda assuming you'd drop me an inbox or something, haven't really kept up to date with this thread.

I'm here now though

Edit: Downloading now :)

If it's easier, you may want to ask Helv for the full script. That just makes it easier to change things... but then again, it's up to you.

Anyway, here are a few guidelines once you are ready. Firstly, the editing/QC'ing is pretty open ended. Feel free to change lines at will if they don't sound right or you can think of a more effective way of saying them. Most of the work should already be done, but look out typos or awkward sounding sentences. For instance, here are a couple of typos that I noticed in the demo:

"As result..." should have been "As a result..."

"...and wondering what..." should have been "...and wondered what..."

Also, if there are lines that need more detail, feel free to embellish on current lines or add extras in (or at least give a couple of ideas). Same if there needs to be a 'breaker' line if the ideas are presented too quickly. Finally, if you have new ideas for scenes etc. or if there are other minor things about the demo that you would like to see more of/less of or something that needs to be fixed, do say so. Keep in mind it is British English that is being used, so if you do get the full script I'd recommend using notepad++ with the British English spelling.

If you have any questions/comments/advice, do post them

Just finished playing the Ver. 2.00 demo of Violent Hill, got to say very good characterisation.

Aoki - Kind of a dick of times but in the 'I piss about with you' way, also like how at times he gets philosophical, kinda reminds of a combo of Kenichi from Sharin and Hisao from Katawa Shoujo but he has that spark that makes him unique, got to say I'm looking forward to seeing how Aoki will develop throughout the course of the game

Minimato - Seems to be a nice person, the bipolar tsundere behaviour makes for a lot of great dialogue between her and Aoki, very curious about the link between the two of them, sounds to be an interesting thing in the whole scheme of things

Sasaki - Seems to be the Moe factor what with the ocassional ditzyness on her part, though something in the back of my mind is telling me that it is all an act as she supposedly went to an elitist all girls

academy before moving to Violent Hill, weird how she said she had gone to the same school as Aoki at one point, Hope my idea is true

Kanade - Ah the wonderful osanajimi, she seems awesome, she has that air that makes her come across as being extremely likeable, got to admit pretty cool that you made her a Mangaka, completely out of the left field and it makes the game unique. Have a feeling that she really does like Aoki despite the fact that she turned him down three years before but that circumstances prevented her from admitting these feelings

Other characters like Kyosuke and the Sensei despite the fact not much is known about them at the current time seem to be incredibly likeable characters, I assume that the 'Yaoi' ending will be with Kyosuke?

Anyway onto the story, seems to be incredibly well written as while reading I sensed that there was constantly some overriding form of plot sitting there, Also got to admit that the Mindstorm seems to be an extremely interesting concept, one that has an almost limitless potential for development, have a feeling that at some point the minds of Aoki and his chosen heroine will be connected and they'll have a scene with it. Got to say really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, seems a lot more unsual than say Rewrite's Aurora and Kenichi the Super human in Sharin but that unusualness makes it all the more interesting, the power isn't just told like 'Here's your power, this is what it does go nuts' no, he has to discover for himself what the power does and what it's limits are. Also want to say grade A job on the opening it certainly was fitting for the atmosphere that the game was portraying.

Only gripe I have really is the unusual writing style but hey, it works and it's your game it just seems to be out of place when you use certain words in certain situations but then again Aoki is as Kyosuke put it 'a hermit' so I guess he can be forgiven for speaking in such a manner, not saying it should be all "LOL LMAO WTF ROFLCOPTER" but just say try make the dialogue between the characters a bit more colloquial, it will make it seem a great deal more realistic than it currently does.

Now in regards to the techinical aspects of the game, so far I haven't noticed anything really glaringly wrong with the game but I will be going through it with a fine comb at a later date as I wish to help make this game to be the best it can possible be

Any way I am waiting with baited breath for the new demo to come out, I appauld you for the piece of art you have created and I can't wait for the full release.

Just finished playing the Ver. 2.00 demo of Violent Hill, got to say very good characterisation.

Aoki - Kind of a dick of times but in the 'I piss about with you' way, also like how at times he gets philosophical, kinda reminds of a combo of Kenichi from Sharin and Hisao from Katawa Shoujo but he has that spark that makes him unique, got to say I'm looking forward to seeing how Aoki will develop throughout the course of the game

Minimato - Seems to be a nice person, the bipolar tsundere behaviour makes for a lot of great dialogue between her and Aoki, very curious about the link between the two of them, sounds to be an interesting thing in the whole scheme of things

Sasaki - Seems to be the Moe factor what with the ocassional ditzyness on her part, though something in the back of my mind is telling me that it is all an act as she supposedly went to an elitist all girls

academy before moving to Violent Hill, weird how she said she had gone to the same school as Aoki at one point, Hope my idea is true

Kanade - Ah the wonderful osanajimi, she seems awesome, she has that air that makes her come across as being extremely likeable, got to admit pretty cool that you made her a Mangaka, completely out of the left field and it makes the game unique. Have a feeling that she really does like Aoki despite the fact that she turned him down three years before but that circumstances prevented her from admitting these feelings

Other characters like Kyosuke and the Sensei despite the fact not much is known about them at the current time seem to be incredibly likeable characters, I assume that the 'Yaoi' ending will be with Kyosuke?

Anyway onto the story, seems to be incredibly well written as while reading I sensed that there was constantly some overriding form of plot sitting there, Also got to admit that the Mindstorm seems to be an extremely interesting concept, one that has an almost limitless potential for development, have a feeling that at some point the minds of Aoki and his chosen heroine will be connected and they'll have a scene with it. Got to say really looking forward to seeing what you do with this, seems a lot more unsual than say Rewrite's Aurora and Kenichi the Super human in Sharin but that unusualness makes it all the more interesting, the power isn't just told like 'Here's your power, this is what it does go nuts' no, he has to discover for himself what the power does and what it's limits are. Also want to say grade A job on the opening it certainly was fitting for the atmosphere that the game was portraying.

Only gripe I have really is the unusual writing style but hey, it works and it's your game it just seems to be out of place when you use certain words in certain situations but then again Aoki is as Kyosuke put it 'a hermit' so I guess he can be forgiven for speaking in such a manner, not saying it should be all "LOL LMAO WTF ROFLCOPTER" but just say try make the dialogue between the characters a bit more colloquial, it will make it seem a great deal more realistic than it currently does.

Now in regards to the techinical aspects of the game, so far I haven't noticed anything really glaringly wrong with the game but I will be going through it with a fine comb at a later date as I wish to help make this game to be the best it can possible be

Any way I am waiting with baited breath for the new demo to come out, I appauld you for the piece of art you have created and I can't wait for the full release.

Many thanks for your hard work! I'm glad you're liking it so far :3

It'll be one hell of a ride together, let's keep up the good work.

Looking forward to your notes and suggestions.

txt file would be good, or pull a "chocogami" and send me 7 pages in Word. XD

Many thanks for your hard work! I'm glad you're liking it so far :3

It'll be one hell of a ride together, let's keep up the good work.

Looking forward to your notes and suggestions.

txt file would be good, or pull a "chocogami" and send me 7 pages in Word. XD

I assume, you'll be releasing more stuff to us testers when you reach a certain milestone?

How come your project looks better and more ambitious than some Kickstarter VNs? Do those guys spend the money on imported love pillows?

LOL xD

I don't know much about kickstarter projects, so I can't comment much on that, but I can tell you that

making a VN (The way we are doing it) is not something I think would require a fund raising, UNLESS, you were planning to hire

actual professionals to do the job. (illustrators, pro editors, etc.)

Violet Hill is a community based project. Everyone can volunteer and help with their talents to make this VN a reality.

Like I said in the first post, We're making this VN with our own resources and in our free time, so yeah, we're not paying anyone and

no one is paying us at all. We do it because we love VN's and we'd like to create one ourselves.

BTW, We're glad you like what you see :D Please read the DEMO and give us your thoughts, when you have the time

Many thanks for your support! :3

By assembly I assume you mean a server?

Yeah, but don't worry about that. We'll decide on the date once Choco is back from US.

*braces for another "I assume" question* ...please no more...

Linkman19: So I assume that you'll drop me a PM about that..?

Helvetica Standard: Y-yes.

*sweats profusely attempting to stay sane* ...I must resist...

Linkman19: Then I assume-

Helvetica Standard: SHTAP!!! xD

Edited by Helvetica Standard

I assume this thread won't die anytime soon?

That's fine, I have plenty of purple prose bomb to kill it with. :rolleyes:

....I got a feeling they are going to kill me after this. Please, anything but the voodoo doll!

In any case, I'll be playing that demo tomorrow night.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf