Violet Hill: A Community VN Project - Development

@Harlequin. Many, many, thanks for your feedback. It means the world to us and it helps us make our VN even better! :D

Keep your opinions posted, you have no idea how valuable those are. My heart skipped a beat when you noticed the little

details like the save/load screen text and the melancholic mood of the VN. You're very observant :)

To answer your questions and doubts.

*The prologue is a mixed bag for us as well. We've had a lot of trouble with it and based on the current feedback we'll address it right away and change it radically.

*Textbox size changing is something we wanted to avoid initially but some lines flowed better by integrating them into paragraphs. The issue is that when certain

number of lines exceeds the padding space, it changes size. We'll address this as it's also something we've been told a lot about. Each dialogue piece will be no

more than 2 lines long from now on.

*Agreed. the tunnel scene transition is indeed too fast. We'll make sure to address this as well.

*Aoki does act like that and part of it is because of his personality. We will however change his words usage since this is something other people have told us.

Thanks again! stay tuned for updates and don't forget to visit our website! :D

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mah feedback and some suggestions or whatnot. No trolling, I promise...well maybe a little bit. Also a lot of my personal nitpicking. (Keep in mind that this is just my opinion bla bla fuck you stuff)

1. Put the "company intro clip" and the "this is fiction, ..." stuff to the game launch, not when you press -Start-.

2. I didn't like the textbox "size change" when there are 3 or 4 lines in the box, it was a bit distracting. I would prefer it to be stationary...like in just about every other VN. Also, why not have square brackets on the spoken text?

3. There is a bit too much flowery language usage in the intro section (cave noise scene + rain scene), also a fairly large info dump from the start of the game. It was too much in my opinion. Trim that shit down a LOT.

4. The transition from that "eruption blue light scene" to the rain scene was way too sudden. I would prefer a something slower or some other effect. Also, stringing 3 different sfx tracks in a row didn't feel right to me. My suggestion: Since you can't change the starting sfx, due to the text (I woud prefer no sound for the first 10 or so lines), why not have some nice buildup to the rain scene. Like, double that "cave water dropping track" or intensify it in some way and keep doing it until that until that "blizzard CG". After that figure out if you want some "oh i passed out, now i'm in the rain memory thing" slow transition or the "oh crap I almost got a heart attack when that blizzard hit me" shock transition. Also, you have the ability of "place text in the center of the screen", why not use it in the intro section, especially in the transitions?

My ideas may suck badly, but I think the current way of dealing with that scene doesn't make you feel anything, pretty boring and lifeless. The intro really matters, like desi said earlier in the SB, people may be turned off by too much stuff in the start. You may want to get them interested first (by some nice easygoing intro sequence) and then dump more details as you go.

5. [You're making it out to be pretty innocuous 」and similar crap. Just no. No one talks like this to a friend guy over a phone. Away with it! Also, that phone conversation is like 80 lines long, trim!

Anyways, that's where I stopped. Too lazy to read more. Best of luck, this just might be one of the best OELVNs evah. (you know I don't really mean that har har)

Killer! I must admit...I initially thought you were trolling XD ......Just kidding!

Thanks for the feedback! it's worth solid gold to us, you have no idea how much.

Let's go over your issues, ok?

1. Ren'py is a free engine and such freedon comes with limitations. One of them is that it doesn't support pre-main menu splash screens.

We can set a small image before the game loads but it would display for less than a second. (the loading thingy.)

2. Indeed. We'll address this ASAP, each dialogue piece will be no more than 2 lines long to avoid the padding values changing the textbox size.

3. Your'e right. The prologue will be changed and simpler language will be used.

4. Read above, the prologue will be reworked.

5. Read 3. Yes we will revise the language to something more colloquial sounding XD.

I recommend that you read the rest of the demo. We'd love to hear your feedback about it.

Keep us posted. :)

Okay I just finished the Demo and as you like feedback,I`m here to provide that. I`ll try to be honest and mind that it`s my opinion on it so yeah:

First of the good things:

-For me the Demo accomplished what a Demo should the wanting for more,and that`s good,so GJ here guys

-I also dig the music for the most parts,only complaining here is that the music during the school at night might be a bit to creepy yet(but I like that one per se so yeah)

-The Art,at first I was a bit sketical but after a few minutes of playing I really started to like it

-The Name of the Cafe...Wakamoto Express what is there more to say xD

-The setting in general is quite nice and for me,I got easily into the story

-I like the humour,just wanted to say that

-The Characters obviously,I already dig Rin,Akane is I don`t know,I can see liking her latter on. Kanade is obviously hyper and special...still conflicted about her. The teacher just screams likeable and I also hope to see more of Kyousuke,really liked the talk at the beginning.

-And of course I like the mysteries already,hope to really see get a lot of the Mindstorm and the rest

Now for the Bad:

-Well most of the bad things have already been pointed out,as the flowerly langauge and some transitions

-well one word to the langauge though...as there is a lot of,let`s say casual langauge in the latter part of the demo the start feels even more out of touch for me,think if you keep it at the casual level,with the needed technical words when they come up it would be for the best in my opinion

-Also on the first time in the city map if you trigger the Akane even first and then choose to continue for now to look at the rest,you have to ultimately get back to that point to trigger the choice again,would be better if after you triggered every even once it would be like: "Looks like there is nothing left to see today,I`ll go better home for today" (or I just missed something)

- And even though I like the story thus far,it kinda felt a bit like they were getting to close to fast(e.g. Rin already asking Aoki if there is some problem and that he can talk to his clubmembers and so on) Maybe I`m being to skeptical here who knows

Think that`s everything. Well I hope you guys continue the great work and I`m looking forward to the finished product,cheers :)

• 2 months later...

http://i.imgur.com/4498v0p.png

Status Update

December '14/January '15

Missed us? We missed you too. After all the feedback we received - and for which we cannot thank enough - we are undergoing several changes in order to deliver the best visual novel we can. That's what you deserve, after all. So, what are these changes?

• We are recruiting!
  • Prologue and Chapter 1 are to be reworked
  • The project name has changed

1. We are recruiting!

Writer

Say, what do you think of Mindstorm? Did stories revolving the concept sprout in your mind after you heard of it? This is a good first step~! Lend your talents to Violeta Hill. We want writers who have the hollistic view of how a story should unfold and the attention to detail that a pleasant, fluid prose needs. In short, we want good writers who are insterested in the project.

• How to apply: send a PM to Helvetica Standard or Chocolatemilkgod with the reasons why you want to join, a piece of your writing and your disponibility for the next few months.
  • Skills needed: flexibilty and professionalism to work with an established framework; commitment to the project; fluid prose and ability to show instead of telling; regular presence on Skype

Animator

Have you ever dreamed of working with animation? Have you ever dreamed of working with Red Lattice Studio? Then we have something for you. Violeta Hill is aiming high and animation is of utmost importance in the project. We need your creative input to make the visual novel truly shine.

• How to apply: send a PM to Helvetica Standard or Chocolatemilkgod with the reasons why you want to join, a portfolio if you have one, a list of the softwares you can use and your disponibility for the next few months.
  • Skills needed: commitment to the project; understanding of software such as Toon Boom, After Effects, Photoshop, Premiere etc. (not all of these are needed, of course, but understanding of how a video editing and/or a composition software works is important)

2. Prologue and Chapter 1 are to be reworked (demo coming soon!)

If you haven't checked out our previous demo, please do so (and send us your feedback!). But know that it will all be reworked and we will release another demo with the changes soon enough, with improvements in all areas! Your favourite heroine deserves it, doesn't she? Be it Akane, Kanade or Rin, I'm sure you want to see more of them. And you want some more of Aoki's moody remarks, too, don't you? Well, this is what you'll have, but better.

3. The project name has changed

Last but not least, the project's name is now Violeta Hill, as you may have noticed from the topic title, the new banner and whatnot. Why did we change it? It was such a shame for us to part with the old name. But don't worry if you don't understand - lights will guide you home and ignite your bones. We wanted to avoid confusion, that's all. And Latin languages are so much more charming, don't you think? That added a*makes it sound a lot better, isn't it?

That's all from us for now. Don't forget to apply for the open positions and keep loving Violeta Hill~

4498v0p.png

Also, as a small gift, have the theme of Wakamoto Express - almost officially the embodiment (em...placement?) of EG at Aoki's hometown. Or perhaps officially. Did you know--? A certain heroine is particularly fond of the place. Does that make her EG's almost official heroine? I'd even draw her in a superhero costume but first, I don't draw and second, that'd give her away. But you're all welcome to imagine Akane, Kanade, Satsuki, Rin or Yuki as super heroines.

• 1 month later...

It's been while since, so here's an update on how things are proceeding:

- While the story and the characters are largely kept as they are, the writing itself will be completely re-done and for that purpose, we've recruited a total of three scenario writers including myself.

- Details on character personalities and the main plot framework are currently being designed.

- More attention will be paid to keeping both character and story development more gradual (as opposed to the demo).

Okkay, formal part done, so I can finally loosen up a bit! I'm Desulishor, one of the new scenario writers and somewhat of a lead writer. I've been writing slightly anime-inspired stories for 8 to 9 years now, and I'm mostly at home with Slice-of-life, romance, mixed with a bit of supernatural themes here and there. I've finished two Visual novel projects on my own prior to this, though I'll be amazed if I run into anyone who has played my games before.

But since I'm here, do send me your fanmail, hatemail, questions, strange requests and whatnot. (just kidding. or well, not really. I'll read it, but mostly I'm trying imitate an idol of some sort wit tis.)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ErogeGames! Helvetica Standard here. :)

I'm just passing by to say hello and to thank you for all your continued support and feedback.

It really means the world to us so stay tuned. We are alive, kicking and making progress!

A small update: A new member joined our ranks! can you find out who? check our new staff board!

designed by yours truly, of course. :p

Kind regards. Helvetica Standard.

http://i.imgur.com/Z1FvjOP.png

Hey all, I'm Hendo, the newest member to join the project group. This is my "official" self-introduction to the project. To the best of my knowledge I'm one of the writers, and apparently a fairly entertaining one at that.

Helv demanded that I join up and detail a bit about myself, so here goes! I'm an English teacher, chocolate enthusiast, loves of summer, abhorrent of water, and an out-and-out weirdo (or so I'm told).

If you want to check out some of my written work, you can find some of it h-nyaa: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8i7uk8bnkfakfv/AACq_3DjH-TzNLIg0Z_n7wiTa?dl=0

And now that I've managed to awkwardly express my wordings here, I shall be off! Bye!

Hello all, I've been asked to introduce myself... I don't really know what to say here, so I'll keep it brief.

I'm Alex/Omega, I've been writing for a significant portion of my life though I've never shared anything I've written that I can remember. Then one day I read Muv Luv Alternative, and I decided that I wanted to share my creations with the world in the visual novel format.

One thing lead to another, and I'm now (and have been for a wee while) a writer for Violet Hill. I have a lot of faith in this project and the creativity of the people working on it, so I hope any lurkers will keep watch for when we complete the game!

-Alex/Omega

P.S: I don't really want to self promote myself here but I'm always open to writing, editing, helping bounce ideas, or even just making friends in the community! So feel free to PM =]

Is there an esteemed release date? By the way, I know feedback can help but if there is a media-related way I can help, I'd love to. Sharing, posting, running a blog, anything. :-)

Hello Max! :D

There's no estimated release date yet, but we are working hard to get things done. Now with 2 writers on board, progress has been fairly smooth.

Yes, we are interested in a social media manager and you can help us out with that. I'll send you a PM with more details, so check your inbox.

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

April's fool Update ♡(•ི̛ᴗ•̛)ྀ

Hello guys! How are you doing. We've been busy with the rework of our script and progress has so far been smooth. We thank you for your continued feedback and support. Know this: We love you!

It is because we cherish our audience that we decided after extensive discussion and feedback valoration...

...to create a sister visual novel related to Violet Hill! we proudly present you:

http://i.imgur.com/IM9tLXs.png

Which is a spin-off of Violet Hill with an all girl cast. In Violet Hill Y -girl's side- Aoki is female and her name is Aoko. The premise is simple: You ought ot romance Violet Hill's heroines!

and enjoy a few hot and steamy moments along the way. Stay tuned for release this summer!

Meanwhile enjoy a taste of Aoko + Rin!

courtesy of our awesome head artist: Darksin

http://i.imgur.com/cF2EDI5.png

Stay in touch for updates on this yurilicious release!

Kind regards: Red Lattice Studio.

Edited by Helvetica Standard
  • 4 weeks later...

http://i.imgur.com/0QAFinl.png

Hello erogegames! How are you doing?

Just know that we love you, and to prove it we bring the above updates as well as a little something while you patiently wait for our reworked script.

Behold V4.5 DEMO which was unreleased and only exclusively covered by Tiagofvarela from FUWA on his YT channel.

This DEMO has a few minor changes as well as a trimmed, shorter prologue.

Stay in touch for more updates and hopefully a brand new demo.

http://i.imgur.com/Y7Xisxt.png

Edited by Helvetica Standard
  • 2 weeks later...