Visual Novels Translation Status [04/06/14]

MangaGamer released an official statement on the matter. Neat.

To save everyone the time, here's what was said:

Yes, the group did contact us about working together to make the release happen. As I mentioned before, there are a lot of hurdles towards Shin Koihime Musou's release - the sheer size of the project is the first to come to mind. The translation costs itself is already a huge investment for us. On the technical side of things, Nexton's in-house game engine isn't specifically made for English environments, and it's tough for them to make the necessary adjustments on their end as well. And some of you may recall, but the first Koihime Musou was originally released without voices because of complications in the licensing. It will also take some time to clear out that issue beforehand.

I haven't had the chance to take a personal look at the quality of the translation, as they say they are still in the process of making further edits to the script, but that's one thing we value above all else. If the translation quality doesn't cut it, we're not interested and we will tell any fan-translation group that they need to go back and redo it if they're still serious about seeing whatever project they're working on get an official release.

Our staff would love to see Shin Koihime Musou released, and we are working fairly regularly with different parties to try and figure out how we can approach the unique hurdles involved in its localization. If there's a quality fan-translation group willing to put in the work and work with us, we're willing to consider it as an option, but that does not mean it's the only option we're considering, nor does it guarantee the success of the project at the moment.

It's nice to finally get a confirmation from MG about this, which also means that I will be eating my words :>. In the end, I guess MG is just trying to find a cheaper way to go about this project. The problem I'm seeing is in the " the translation quality doesn't cut it, we're not interested and we will tell any fan-translation group that they need to go back and redo it if they're still serious about seeing whatever project they're working on get an official release.". While that's a obvious thing to say, the problem comes at the point where you can't release the translation of this game on your own as a fanTL -in case of the TL being rejected by MG- because you can't deal with the technical stuff on your own. Hopefully that won't happen, but it would be a real shame to spend a fuckton of time just to get a "your TL sucks". After that, I doubt anyone would be insane enough to go back and redo the TL and this already huge script.

Don't worry about that, the translation quality is a whole lot better than some BS machine translation. We've got a group of translators who TL Check each others work, and a group of editors fine-tuning the English script while keeping it as true to the original Japanese dialogue as possible.

I'm so glad things are progressing with Shin Koihime. Retro, if you want to get in touch with my old team members, some of them might still be interested in helping out. I'll give you the team's email (we shared an email while working) if oyu want to contact them, just PM me.

I’m interested in other projects on general principle, but I’m about 20% into a long one myself, in addition to the other two Jast ones I’m juggling that I still do more work on weekly than anybody else ‘working’ on them, and my last experience taking over someone else’s work was not a pleasant one.

/.\

Alright Shadolance, I PM'd you. We're always looking for more members, since this project is huge and we have a few other plans as well.

Also, turns out our editing team seems to be finding the right roles for them, which is making productivity soar.