Visual Novels Translation Status [06/22/2014]

Maybe that's not the title I was looking for, my bad. My job in theory is going to be double checking all of the English once the first round of translation is done to make sure the English makes sense as opposed to jibberish directly translated from Japanese. That being said, my Japanese isn't bad, I took 4 years of it in high school and still constantly use it to the best of my ability with my room mate in college, he's Japanese and can't speak English as well as I can.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL what a load of crap.

You are a load of crap. Take for example the third kanji, since the kanji for hachigatsu are two radicals. You take the radical, that if you aren't an animal like yourself you know; you go on denshi jisho and the like and find in ten seconds that the third kanji is yoru, night. Moron.

And excuse me Killer, I'm obviously not up to you, so awesome that can read a fucking nukige at snail pace (and probably getting shit anyway).

Lol I was writing gomben (instead of hito).

It's just a slow process if you have to search for every kanji, but plenty doable.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia
More like, why does he have to prove shit to anyone here?AT BEST the only ones he should prove anything to is the guys involved in the project, he owes you nothing, just saying.

He doesn't have to do it, he can do it..

(if he can)

More like, why does he have to prove shit to anyone here?AT BEST the only ones he should prove anything to is the guys involved in the project, he owes you nothing, just saying.

LOL You can't even read a road sign and you're talking shit to me.

Come back when your skills in Japanese get a little better than just thinking the language is all about searching for Kanjis like a retarded moron.

Which is never gonna happen anyway. We can all see you learned about 10 Kanjis and like to brag as if you're some kinda of expert.

Stop embarrassing yourself, kiddo.

(FYI: I'm not Killer)

LOL You can't even read a road sign and you're talking shit to me.

Come back when your skills in Japanese get a little better than just thinking the language is all about searching for Kanjis like a retarded moron.

Which is never gonna happen anyway. We can all see you learned about 10 Kanjis and like to brag as if you're some kinda of expert.

Stop embarrassing yourself, kiddo.

(FYI: I'm not Killer)

Killer posted in shout, I answered here.

And just in case (since you clearly don't know) that's the way you are told to search for kanji on paper dictionaries (if you can't draw them on a denshi jisho like japanese in school do, I had to grab one too). You go by number of strokes and radicals, it's common sense, so I don't really see why you had to say it was a load of crap.

Also, I study japanese and... know so little that I could say I know jack shit about it atm, so I have really no need/possibility to brag about anything (just finished first year in university, no prior study on internet by myself).

Killer posted in shout, I answered here.

And just in case (since you clearly don't know) that's the way you are told to search for kanji on paper dictionaries (if you can't draw them on a denshi jisho like japanese in school do, I had to grab one too). You go by number of strokes and radicals, it's common sense, so I don't really see why you had to say it was a load of crap.

Also, I study japanese and... know so little that I could say I know jack shit about it atm, so I have really no need/possibility to brag about anything (just finished first year in university, no prior study on internet by myself).

My objection was not about your method for searching Kanjis. It was about you implying that any person, even a beginner, can just translate all the Japanese they want if the only thing they know is how to search for the Kanjis. Which, being a Japanese language student myself, I strongly disagree.

Maybe I understood wrong, but I guess the whole point of Gerard posting that piece of Japanese text was to try to gauge the level of fluency of that other guy. If so, then I can safely say that it will take a translator with at least a good amount of skills to be able to handle the job. Just searching for Kanjis all the time, without no background on grammar, particles and other stuff, not only it's awfully ineffective it's also virtually impossible.

But I don't know. Maybe I understood everything wrong. If I did. I apologize.

As long your level isn't really 0 you can figure out what kanji is it by number of strokes and/or radicals.

I was thinking that since he knows Japanese and all, he could help me with that thing. I really REALLY like to see his version.

It's a futile effort.

Because you can see the future amirite.

Proving what, exactly? I'm merely asking him to translate some stuff for me since he knows Jap.

Btw, knowing Japanese had nothing to do with his role in the group anyway, as he has stated earlier, so if you've nothing to add other than some BS, Soren, well, better just STFU.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

My my apparently everybody just love in debating for kanji matter I'm suppose last time I saw VNDB and it turn into pendel and overmage debating about kanji analogy or something like that. The thread about Monobeno if curious

In any case I guess good for JAST, though I rather see if Seinarukana get golden master though IMO but maybe it is not the time yet (regardeng osadai fandisc)

My objection was not about your method for searching Kanjis. It was about you implying that any person, even a beginner, can just translate all the Japanese they want if the only thing they know is how to search for the Kanjis. Which, being a Japanese language student myself, I strongly disagree.

Maybe I understood wrong, but I guess the whole point of Gerard posting that piece of Japanese text was to try to gauge the level of fluency of that other guy. If so, then I can safely say that it will take a translator with at least a good amount of skills to be able to handle the job. Just searching for Kanjis all the time, without no background on grammar, particles and other stuff, not only it's awfully ineffective it's also virtually impossible.

But I don't know. Maybe I understood everything wrong. If I did. I apologize.

Well, by "if your level isn't really 0" I was implying a little knowledge that's surely needed, if one knows nothing at all, this person isn't even going to know where to look at. Btw "friends like before", I too apologize for the answer.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia

Jeebus that's a difficult one, but here's what I can make out (the image is also a bit fuzzy on my end):

Two treasures - wheat grass in a field, (something in the course of a month), has to deal with wealth. Connects to "Hentorumugi, the first City of Two. Something about a legend of two wheats?

I'm not sure what the wheat thing is about, couldn't that also be translated as barley or some other grain? and I have no idea what "Omogokotsumamugi" is in the second bit.

It's very rough, I know, but I did this quickly and fairly early in the morning. If you'd like a more thorough translation I'll spend more time on it later. 'll be the first to admit I'm really fucking slow, blame my shit language skills.

On the other note, I have no idea how this thing exploded into an argument... he asked a VERY simple request for another person's opinion on something he cared about... I don't even see it as "proving" anything, it's just a friendly request.

But also, out of curiosity, what was your version? Mine obviously hasn't been edited into recognizable English.

On the other note, I have no idea how this thing exploded into an argument... he asked a VERY simple request for another person's opinion on something he cared about... I don't even see it as "proving" anything, it's just a friendly request.

Thank you! People are just too touchy around here for some reason. :/

@Gerard Yeah sorry for the super rough translation, I'll look at it again myself tonight when I'm off work and also let my roommate look at it when he wakes up (around noon I'm guessing >_>). They're all far superior to me in translation skills, I'm still learning but I'm getting there.