I was saying firewall because it's simpler for non-IT people to understand. If you want it specifically, it's a dualband router setup with the second layer router used as a DMZ zone that filters multiaccess connections, such as torrents. We asked them to implement a layer 3 switch instead, but they don't want to hire the IT crew to implement it. It's not that I would get in too much TROUBLE for torrenting, it's just that I can't, physically. And before anyone goes and tells me to port forward, a dualband router setup means it MUST go through one router to get to the higher layer network router that provides direct internet.

please noob....please..

3 steps to fap-hacking fun....

a screwdriver and some broken routerz

1. Removing the cover.

2. Desoldering a capacitor and soldering it to an adjacent spot on the PCB.

3. Soldering the BNC connector’s leads to the PCB.

this is an example of making a card have sex with external antenna connector (D-Link DWL-650 with External Antenna Connector)

it was done as an example

pfffft retard

Edited by switch

I don't see how you need more if you

already have 2.4/3 TB filled with VNs

And it must be a pretty shitty college if they don't even have an IT team and you just can go plain ask how they're infrastructure is.

And not to forget, a company(college in this case) using a router as DMZ is plain silly. Servers are used even in small company's since a router DMZ setup is just too unprofessional.

http://i.imgur.com/dbNBinQ.png

Edited by hyromaru
I don't see how you need more if you

And it must be a pretty shitty college if they don't even have an IT team and you just can go plain ask how they're infrastructure is.

And not to forget, a company(college in this case) using a router as DMZ is plain silly. Servers are used even in small company's since a router DMZ setup is just too unprofessional.

Oh trust me I agree with the the stupidity of it, but a college with 30000+ students is hardly a shitty college. And besides, I didn't ask how the infrastructure was set up, I found the hub closet and took a looksie for myself. It was in the basement where no one would normally look, so it's not like it was lying open for everyone to see. That being said, after seeing it physically a few netstat and tracert commands will tell you the function of each item in the hub.

The reason they use the router as a DMZ is because there are several administrative hosts connected to it that monitor the traffic sort of like those speed indicators you see on the sides of the road. The reason they do it is simple - in a DMZ zone where any kind of traffic is allowed, they can get a broader range of bad traffic that they can log for further use, at which point they can block it in the future without expending the energy to track down a single packet of information in a non-DMZ network. It's sort of like pipelining.

My issue with it is that whenever you have to go through two routers to get to a network, you can't just forward it through the one router because the other one will pick it up. I don' have topological access to the second router, so I can't simply forward my data to my machine. On a single router this would be possible, but not on a dualband router setup. It's not actually so important that the first router is a DMZ, but more that there are two routers in the first place. If I just needed to get by a DMZ, that would be easy enough by editing the static routes for data to my machine from the second router, but that is not the case.

But as far as the IT crew - that's beyond me. I guess it's just so low on their priority list with all the construction on campus that it's just not a big deal.

Edited by Shadolance
I was saying firewall because it's simpler for non-IT people to understand. If you want it specifically, it's a dualband router setup with the second layer router used as a DMZ zone that filters multiaccess connections, such as torrents. We asked them to implement a layer 3 switch instead, but they don't want to hire the IT crew to implement it. It's not that I would get in too much TROUBLE for torrenting, it's just that I can't, physically.

Still confused. Where exactly are you living? In their dorm? And you're being forced through a router that doesn't allow some internet protocols? Again, are you at Bob Jones University or just a really shitty community college? I would rent an apartment near campus, but that's just me.

Still confused. Where exactly are you living? In their dorm? And you're being forced through a router that doesn't allow some internet protocols? Again, are you at Bob Jones University or just a really shitty community college? I would rent an apartment near campus, but that's just me.

I live up above a lab where I work on a funded project team, which I also lead. There are 4 floors above ground and the lab is under, made out of the basement. I have to live here as a part of my contract to get funding.