Voice and sound problem

When I try to run Family Project and Snow Sakura, there is a message "There will be no voice and sound effects because the system does not support DirectSound".

I tried to look for solution but nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know how to fix it? I'm using Windows 7.

@Helvetica Standard

So those are the only options? That's... sad. Finally buying new PC with W7 instead of WXP only to have another problems. Oh well, I will have to do something about it someday. Thanks for answer!

@hyromaru

Yes, I tried it already, as well as changing some files in system32, but nothing works.

I think I've found a solution for your issue.

Download this one: AD Chips driver - AD Chips Sound Card Drivers - Imaadp32.acm

And this one: AD Chips driver - AD Chips Sound Card Drivers - Msadp32.acm

Move them to system 32 and replace if prompted.

It doesn't matter if you've done it already (these are different, older versions and should work.)

Tell me if this resolves your problem ;)

No sound - this is not a wine bug, this is a developer's bug; it seems that all g-collections games reject (in windows) imaadp32.acm from SP2 if it's not English version of the driver or at least :

following version works

5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) English (US)

this version does not

5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) Polish (PL)

As I haven't seen 5.1.2600.2180 (US) I'm not 100% it's the language check that breaks things, but it does seem this way, cause earlier English versions work.

That's the only thing I could find. Although I'm not entirely sure if that's true because I've the German version of W7 and never had problems with any G-Collections games. On the other hand, I set my system local to japanese so maybe that's the trick, although I'm quite sure you already did that. Or try zo change your local to english.

Yes, I've set my locale to japanese. I tried changing to english (USA and UK), tried with current files in system32 and older ones, but I'm still getting error message. Looks like it just won't work on my PC (or maybe there is some kind of miraculous solution which doesn't include me changing my W7 to other version, but it's just unknown yet... maybe).

Ok, here we go.

Chances are you’ve installed WinXP SP2. The culprits are two “updated” ADPCM codecs (imaadp32.acm and msadp32.acm) located in C:\Windows\System32 and marked as versions 5.1.xxxx (for the novices, WinXP is WinNT 5.1). For some reason they won’t work with many Japanese games anymore.

You have to back up those “new” codecs (just rename them) and replace them with versions 5.0.xxxx from Win2000 (aka WinNT 5.0). You’ll have to find those on the net. Or you could simply try with the default codecs from your WinXP CD, it should work but be sure they’re not coming from a Service Pack. In any case, don’t try any version prior to 5.0.xxxx! reply

Thank you Mokkori =), I found the win 98 version of the files you saind and now my games work.

You can find them in http://www.soundcard-drive.rs.com

or here ( i rared them for you guys)

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NDUIAN8AQCHZ0JEJRPYI5FEEN

Thank you guys I finally can play h games with voices :) yey. What Mokkori wrote is right that in WinXP files “imaadp32.acm” and “msadp32.acm” (which are in system32 folder) has to be replaced by older versions. Links added by Thankful doesnt work for me so i found them here:

Imaadp32.acm ==> AD Chips driver - AD Chips Sound Card Drivers - Imaadp32.acm

Msadp32.acm ==>

AD Chips driver - AD Chips Sound Card Drivers - Msadp32.acm

These are drivers from win98/95 ver. 4.0.0.950. Anyway when I replaced only “Imaadp32.acm” the voices in H Games started working :). Oh and before i replaced them I installed the adpcm drivers “step by step” as Marco wrote in here ADPCM Codec - Audio Codecs - MovieCodec.com.

Enjoy the H Games ;)

ADPCM codec for certain games - Audio Codecs - MovieCodec.com

I tried to make it work, but I couldn't.

Just replacing Imaadp32.acm and Msadp32.acm doesn't work and I can't install adpcm drivers. There is no file named mmdriver.inf in my System32, so I downloaded it and then tried to install, but there is error message that there are no drivers to install in this folder (I put it in System32) or that it's not 64bit version (it was supposed to be).

I honestly have no idea what to do anymore :(

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem. My pc use window 7

" There will be no voice or sound effects because the system does not support ADPCM files. Do you want to continue? (CODE = 00) "

I have a file to "replace" another file in window/system32 and give sound to the games, but is only for XP and no window 7. It will work in window 7 too or I will need another diferent file? I dont want to mess with this stuffs and damage my pc so that why I am asking first.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a similar problem. My pc use window 7

" There will be no voice or sound effects because the system does not support ADPCM files. Do you want to continue? (CODE = 00) "

I have a file to "replace" another file in window/system32 and give sound to the games, but is only for XP and no window 7. It will work in window 7 too or I will need another diferent file? I dont want to mess with this stuffs and damage my pc so that why I am asking first.

First make sure you're using the right codec, this one is the one i use in case your's give any problem.

And no, it shouldn't mess up your system in any was as long as you make a backup of your original file.