Help I don't know what the hell I'm doing or how to do it?

Okay, I'm new, I don't seem to know the first thing about how to go about downloading these games. On another site it was suggested I add Japanese but since I don't have that Windows XP Pro CD that didn't help. Since these games are in English I'm hoping I fair better. I wrote the Web master of this forum but I assume that he decided that wasn't his area and so I never heard anything back. So ... I've got Daemon Tools, I've got Windows XP, Firefox is my browser. That's the basics. I've got WinRar. Now what? I need some step by step stuff -- yes, you may consider me a mindless idiot if it makes you feel better. Frankly, I don't give a damn what your assessment of my intelligence is as long as you give me some help and make that help understandable for a newbie. I should hasten to add that I'm 'way beyond being in my 20's so what seems to be common place to a lot of the gamers here is not to me.

I will tell you what I do know so you don't waste your time on every single step. I know how to use file sharing host and that I need all the files before I try and open them. I know to use the first part to begin the opening process. Whent it's a movie, I usually click on Extract Here. After that, I'm not sure what's next.

Now you know what I know -- it ain't a hell of a lot, to be sure.

If you're willing to help, I'd appreciate it. If not, then feel free to ridicule those who are honest enough to admit they need it.

Ogleman:confused::confused:

I'm too fucking lazy to read through all that, so I'll just copy my standard answer and past it here. Don't worry, it works every time.

1. Download all the parts.

2. Once you have all the parts, use winrar to extract part1 (it will automatically extract all the parts). If you don't have winrar, Google it.

3. If it's an ISO files, mount the disc with Daemon Tools. Read this and this.

4. Before you install, you need to change you locale. (You only need to do this once.) Read this. This is very important if you want to play Japanese eroge. If you skip this step, I'm afraid you can't play most of the game in here. Eroge is originally made for japanese people, so it's very normal to change your locale into Japanese.

5. Install the game.

6. Crack it if it needs a crack. (Always read readme/installation note if it has one.)

7. Apply the translation patch. (If it has one.)

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

Gerard's guide is really complete, but if you're at a loss about wtf is a ISO file and what to do if it isn't then be my guest.

There are 3 types of VN's you'll download here (mostly 3, you'll rarely come across something else):

One is the extract-and-play and yeah is just "extract here" > open the folder > doble click the exe > enjoy (some examples are Armored Warrior Iris, Sakura Spirit and My girlfriend is the president.

Another one is the standard installator, when you extract and open the folder you'll notice a single .exe file and maybe a few other archives that makes no sense, just doble click the .exe and follow instructions (same as above), it will most likely be already patched but if it doesn't the crack/patch should be either in the .rar or in the site ready to be downloaded, just read the "read.me" and do what it says (examples Song of Saya and Hypno training).

And lastly we have the .ISOs, you'll notice right away since once you extract there will only be one maybe two files, a .ISO and a .CUE, doble click it and run the .exe when Damon Tools manages to mount the image, as easy as that.

And with that my friend you'll be able to play any title here, now go with my blessing to play Song of Saya because is fucking awesome.

Edited by Maoh

First off, thanks to you and to Maoh as well for being willing to help. What I've run into is this, I have Windows XP and your guide to changing locales doesn't work for XP unless you have the CD rom that's required and I don't. So ... I'll have to figure out how to get that before I go any further. If I can't change the locale, and it appears I can't without the CD -- and believe me I tried -- then I'll have to get that settled first. However, I'm keeping your guide close by and thanks again for your time.

You probably will need to set your computer to Japanese locale to play the visual novels that haven't been localized. If Windows XP doesn't have the Japanese language option by default, then you'll need to download the East Asian Language Pack. I found a link for that:

Zippyshare.com - LP for XP.rar

People have confirmed that it works. Follow these instructions from Microsoft:

1.Open Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.

2.On the Languages tab, under Supplemental language support, select the Install files for East Asian languages check box.

3.Click OK or Apply. You will prompted to insert the Windows CD-ROM or point to a location where the files are located.

4.After the files are installed, you must restart your computer.

Here's how to set you locale to Japanese in XP:

1.Go to the Control Panel

2.Click on Regional and Language Options

3.Click the Advanced tab, go to "Language for non-Unicode Programs", and select "Japanese (Japan)" from the drop-down menu.

4.Click OK

5.Restart your computer

Thanks for your help but alas, I'm a dummy so tell me what I do after I've downloaded the Zippyshare file. Do I extract it to a particular folder, if so does matter where? Once it's there is that supposed to be the location of the files when Windows prompts me to insert the CD-Rom or point to the location of the files? I'm just not clear on what I'm supposed to do after I've downloaded the Zippyshare file. Can you spell it out for me, please?

Well, Dark Sin gave me this link to Zippyshare.com for, I guess, software that would make it possible for me to be able to change locales to Japanese. I downloaded it, now what. If I go to the Control panel and try install Eastern Asian Languages I'll be asked to provide a CD Rom, which I don't have. I think this Zippyshare download is supposed to remedy that but I sure don't know how.

Ah yeah nvm, thought you managed to get pass that.

As Sind said when you get prompted to insert the cd it will give you the option to provide the files location as well, just browse wherever you downloaded the file and that's it.

Well, without getting too mushy about it, I want to offer my heartfelt gratitude to Maoh, Gerard the Lone Wolf and Dark Sin for their help. I followed their various suggestions and it worked. I downloaded the game and I played it. Thanks a lot. I'm sure there will be more "questions" as I pursue the hobby (which is what it is to me) but I've got a nice start.;)