And here's another reason why this world sucks

• 4 weeks later...

You don't even have to look that far. This example was taken right from this forum.

If someone finds that you find offensive something that he/she does and you ask him/her to stop then most of the time they will keep doing it just to force a reaction out of you and by creating this poll... boom reaction.

Social norms and etiquette as you would have it do not apply on the internet, being "polite" in most cases is just a way to get what you want, or someone to do something you want, but that is beside the point here.

If someone is being a prick towards you, respond in kind, or just move on, i doubt this is the first time you have encountered this situation.

I'll throw in one more. The reporters themselves in the second video. (I didn't watch the first video so no comment there.)

Keep in mind while reading the following I am critiquing the reporter(s) in the second video above. I am making no claims one way or the other as to whether or not the vote was rigged.

I do not deny the footage of the vote tampering but the report is missing a few pieces of critical information to make it a "reliable news source".

1. How many votes was that person responsible for counting.

2. How many votes total were collected.

3. How many facilities where collecting votes.

4. How many of the facilities had people caught tampering with the votes.

We have two instances of confirmed tampering. The one with the vote counter, and the other with the person actually filling out vote forms. Two out of how many? Two out of Ten? Thirty? Three hundred? It may not even be a full one percent. That does not count as a rigged election, just two disgruntled individuals who are committing a crime.

As far as the stacks of votes, only two were discernible in that footage. Even assuming those rubber banded groupings were all "Yes"es, no system is perfect and fool proof. (R&D Motto : You make it idiot proof, we'll make a better idiot!) That could have just been good old fashioned benign human error.

With out those facts, I can only conclude that video is sensationalism to generate more viewers (and therefore, more profit), sensationalism to stir the pot because the guy is a jack ass, or somebody with their own agenda trying to distort fact to fiction to serve his own purposes. There might be other possibilities as well but I can't think of them.

(As a side note, before the videos with in the video [i.e. the camcorder footage and the broad cast news footage, not the video above] was ever used in a court of law, I believe it should be tested by a neutral third party for potential digital manipulation. I'm not saying it was manipulated, just that in this day and age, it's not that hard for somebody with the right know how.)

Edited by Outpost Omega J
Typos and grammer fixes.
Keep in mind while reading the following I am critiquing the reporter(s) in the second video above. I am making no claims one way or the other as to whether or not the vote was rigged.

There's also a video that came out 3 days after the vote where a man found a bag full of yes votes at the side of a street. And yeah, it's really hard to believe such videos because it's easy to fake them. BUT if I take a look at the results in general and see that even the voting precinct (no idea if that's the correct english word) where nearly the entire population was/is pro-independence (that precinct was something like the center of that indepedence movement) only won 52% to 48% (can't remember the exact numbers but it was really close) then I clearly have to say, this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. It's just that since 9/11 I don't trust official media anymore.

it should be tested by a neutral third party for potential digital manipulation

Well, third parties are also bribeable iirc.

I'm not saying it was manipulated, just that in this day and age, it's not that hard for somebody with the right know how.

You can manipulate anything these days. Either you can directly manipulate the video or you can show the video with wrong informations like they did (and still do) with these so called freedom fighters of the Ukraine. Only a few amount of people know that those freedom fighters have the SS Nazi symbol on their flags. Or you can provide people with information without giving any kind of comparison like they did last week. At least in my country the news were whining about how much money Russia spend to built that new racing track for the F1, 260 million Dollar. Of course that's a shitton of money BUT the racing course in Abu Dhabi was built for 1,3 BILLION dollar (which was stupid btw because nobody watched the racing due to the temperatur). And in Russia you had to pay around 200€ for a ticket while in Germany (Hockenheimring) you need to pay 225-525€. And speaking of the Hockenheimring, that thing ate up around 400 million dollar over the years. But yes, Russia are the bad guys after all.

Edited by OneManArmy

Just to let you know that I voted Yes and I'm really disappointed in the outcome.

But the matter of fact is that the difference was 386937 in votes even with minor rigging the deficit is large enough that the no vote would have still of won.

I agree with OMA though the world suck balls but shit happens and you just have to deal with it one way or another.

Edited by Rauthaz
But the matter of fact is that the difference was 386937 in votes even with minor rigging the deficit is large enough that the no vote would have still of won.

I wonder about that. I mean if the majority of people are against it then why did Scotland decide to do that independence vote to begin with? You only do that if you know that enough people will support it because otherwise you're fucked. And Scotland isn't even allowed to vote for new laws anymore and etc.

Just to let you know that I voted Yes

Thumbs up

Of course, those videos only show Yes -> No rigging.

Therefore, only Yes -> No rigging happened.

A stack of votes on a table with "NO" stuck to it? Means nothing

They could have been put there for a variety of purposes - an unused table that they needed for "YES" votes, or just to hold bundles of notes for counting

Also funny how the channel up loaders seem to have more than a couple of links (i.e., videos, links to videos) about conspiracy-theory type stuff. Do they also take a video of flashing lights in the sky and claim that aliens exist? (There are perfectly reasonable explanations for flashing lights, just as all shown behaviour in the videos had perfectly reasonable explanations)

Actually the SNP didn't even think they would get independence at the start of the campaign, the yes vote only managed to pick up momentum a few months before the actual vote. IMO the NO vote only won because of the promises of further power given to Scotland if they voted no.

I will say this though if things don't change or don't change enough a lot of people on both sides of the vote will be very angry and will end up in demonstrations like what happened in HK.

because of the promises of further power given to Scotland if they voted no

So far they're doing the exact opposite, cutting away Scotland's power where they can. I really hope this'll change soon.

Also funny how the channel up loaders seem to have more than a couple of links (i.e., videos, links to videos) about conspiracy-theory type stuff. Do they also take a video of flashing lights in the sky and claim that aliens exist? (There are perfectly reasonable explanations for flashing lights, just as all shown behaviour in the videos had perfectly reasonable explanations)

And that's one thing I'll be never able to understand. Why are people always putting new theories that goes against the current system in a drawer with conspiracy written on it? Can't you just think of them as normal theories? Last week I had a very interesting conversation about the widely known continental drift theory and the growing Earth theory with some random people and it was really annoying because none of them was able to move away from that so called black and white thinking. So I asked if it's possible that a combination of both theories happened because both theories have one or two major points they can't explain but if you put them together, bamm, problem solved. Yep, that discussion died instantly because they simply couldn't accept something like this. Or let's take your example. I do think it's possible for other life to exist on a different planet BUT this doesn't mean that I give a shit about such videos.

So yeah, it's a little bit off topic I know but please don't look at every new theory as it would be a conspiracy because then you're not better than the church.

Kinda missed the point with my critique of reporters in the video. I was using the video as an example of how the press usually twists things to a certain perspective and to hell with the truth. I was not trying to prove the vote was or was not rigged. I might also be overly paranoid the of the press and that was a completely unbiased objective report.

My purpose was to point out that they needed to provide additional context to their claims so as to prove they are being honest, else everything I said about the report being heavily skewed and biased could be true.