Visual Novels Translation Status [07/06/2015]

*shrug* It does suck but on a personal level it'd be hard for me to muster up any sense of entitlement toward a fan project other people are doing all the work on and that I'd be getting for free.

Then it's a good thing nobody here is doing that.

Okay not to say that what these guys are doing is bad in any way, in fact I approve of it. However, wouldn't be a better idea to use more games that didn't have a fan translation already, were abandoned, or partial translation. I mean some of the games on the list have been out for a minute and already been played. I mean if your trying to make money it would better to get something new and not readily available on site just as these. Not that I'm saying I don't like this site in fact I love it.

Regarding G-Senjou no Maou, Sekai Project wants to do other Akabei Soft stuff but Akabei Soft really wants to put G-Senjou no Maou and Sharin no Kuni out there first. My guess is that 1) these are the "classics" that they hope to build up a brand reputation in the west with and 2) they are lower-cost investments since fan translations already exist, so it's a safer way to test new waters. The problem comes from how they might end up retranslating much of Sharin no Kuni anyways so this won't be as quick and cheap as Akabei Soft might want. Still, G-Senjou is coming out in just a month or two, really soon, and I think they will probably want to release Sharin no Kuni not too far behind but that might not end up happening. Once those two are out, they will move on to the rest of their pretty big catalogue, which include some good untranslated stuff like Akatsuki no Goei. But yeah, the decision to release the fan translated stuff first is coming from the Japan side here.

With Muv-Luv, it's a ridiculously popular franchise. I think they are popular enough that they've reached a point where it doesn't matter that fan translations already exist, they will receive a huge amount of support no matter what. This is what happened with Clannad, and it can happen with Muv-Luv. Some random untranslated eroge wouldn't have nearly as much potential. And as a bonus, depending on how successful the Muv-Luv kickstarter is, we could be seeing translations for Kiminozo or some other ML games.

Sharin seemed fairly legible to me - or was it one of those situations where scenes and dialouge had to be "re-purposed" to make sense to english speakers?

I admit, I'm hopeful for Kiminozo~

EDIT: I've been eyeing Akatsuki no Goei for over a year now - was always hoping someone would pick it up.

Edited by Some guy

MGQ Paradox 1.20 came out, patch from Dargoth is on the way.

It’s real! Busy converting all the ancient 1.03 translation files that I’ve been using as a baseline over to 1.20. Got lots of items and random stuff in 1.10 format that I’m really hoping Fanservicefan can help convert himself…

At any rate, I’m alive. Bad weekend for both me and MGL, but oh well. At least we have the damn patch now.