Muv Luv gave me PTSD(Spoilers ahead)

This is just a random rant from me. Got to the part yesterday where they show alternative world's sumika being raped by BETA. Honestly speaking, the whole thing was traumatic for me. The stuff with marimo-chan really shook me up, mainly when they killed her right after such a tearful reunion. And the beta rape just made things worse. It's not like I haven't seen anything like this before. Sakura suffered in a similar way in heaven's feel after all. But at least they had the decency not to give such vivid descriptions, images and sounds as they did in muv luv. Sumika is honestly my favorite heroine in the trilogy followed by marimo so watching such horrible things happen to them was just plain traumatic. And I have never felt such hatred towards antagonists in any anime, manga or VN. Probably because the beta don't seem like something as simple as evil or have some meaningful greater goal(not that I'd know since I haven't finished the game yet). Extra and Unlimited softened me up too much making it really difficult to handle stuff like these. Don't misunderstand though. I'm not gonna rage quit this game or anything like that. Watching Takeru find his reason for fighting, trying to protect and save the people he loves, accepting sumika regardless of what happened to her and regardless of whether she is human or not, the fights against beta, etc etc. I'm really enjoying all the different elements they incorporated into this VN and so far its definitely one of the best works I've been introduced to. But the tentacle rape scene was just a bit too much. Mainly because of the things the beta did to Sumika and their reasoning behind it. I really don't like tentacle rape in general and these last few scenes made me realize how weak my heart is. Please don't tell I'm the only one who felt traumatized.

P.s. How far am I in the game right now? Currently I'm at the part where the beta are invading japan after takeru and sumika do it.

P.p.s This is just me ranting cuz I don't have anyone to talk to about this.

P.p.p.s Yes I realize this is just fiction and I'm just over exaggerating but I cant really help it. I'm already too deep into this.

P.s. How far am I in the game right now?

You're relatively close to the end.

Yes i know what you mean, Marimo's death was so traumatic i spent 3 weeks alone crying on a corner (not true... maybe), and when i managed to pull myself together to start reading the novel again they just go and... kill her again...

Sumika's stuff wasn't as bad tho, i kinda expected something like that, but Marimo's... i still cry sometimes when i remember such things.... waaa....

No really, this game hits so hard because you get really close to the characters in extra and unlimited (at least that's how i felt it, i'm sure some people just ctrl skipped the whole novel), so far i haven't felt something like this in any other novel, there are some close to it tho like Ever17 and Planetarian but still MuvLuv is by far my favorite.

I'm actually thinking about reading it again to tie loose ends and all that, but knowing what will happen to Marimo will just don't let me.

First of all, please put Fate/stay night in a spoiler box.

About the Sumika stuff; You're not exaggerating. A lot of people would consider it to be very extreme, especially those who are not used to that sort of thing. One could argue that it's a very effective way to make the player hate BETA, but on the other hand, there are a lot of other ways to do that without (tentacle) rape. It seems to me like JP VN writers tend to use rape often, nukige aside. It's sort of commonplace in mecha and/or more serious action VNs. I can name quite a few high rated VNs that I haven't played yet which most probably have some form of molestation or rape. It's kind of odd to say, but you'll get used to it, probably. :/

Personally, I don't like pointless rape scenes that are used randomly, just for the hell of it. If these scenes are present, at least it should make sense in that story/situation. MLA can get away with Sumika's rape scene in my opinion. I would probably be traumatized by it like you are if I wasn't used to it already. ^^

By the way, if you want to chat about MLA or other VNs, etc., you can always come to the Shoutbox chat on this forum. I'm pretty sure most of us who chat there already played MLA.

• 5 weeks later...

i have always complained about that scene(involving the sensei). You could say it adds to the "shock" factor that is needed when you engaging the beta. But personally, i think its cheap screamer like scene. But that is just my personal opinion. I guess it does what its supposed to do - give you a sense of what the protagonist had to go through.

• 5 months later...

Are you me lol? I also tried going back after reading Rewrite, but then my laptop died so the save file got lost.

Honestly, I didn't expect the darkness. After playing the 2 prequels I thought Muv Luv Alt would be the happy route where everything gets concluded b/c he already knows what happens. It was 2am in the morning and I'm on my bed with my laptop, that scene pops up with all those horrible sound effects. Never in my life has a picture affected me so much.

Edited by Whitetragedy
Are you me lol? I also tried going back after reading Rewrite, but then my laptop died so the save file got lost.

Honestly, I didn't expect the darkness. After playing the 2 prequels I thought Muv Luv Alt would be the happy route where everything gets concluded b/c he already knows what happens. It was 2am in the morning and I'm on my bed with my laptop, that scene pops up with all those horrible sound effects. Never in my life has a picture affected me so much.

I went in fully aware of the scene even foolishly thinking I was prepared for it....I was so wrong. if you think the sound effects were rough on a laptop I had my computers audio running through my stereo in surround sound at the time so I had the emotional trauma and the literal gut punch that nearly made me retch cuz it was all around me. I didn't quit tho I soldiered through because I beat VN's I DO NOT let them beat ME. It just got more and more depressing but I made it through and promptly replayed Katawa Shoujo my go to decompression VN cuz Lilly and Hanako always make me feel better :)