Best visual novels you guys have read so far?

https://vndb.org/u43218/votes?c=all;o=d;s=vote

MLA is easily the best, I would have given it 11/10 if I could. F/SN, Steins;Gate, Aoishiro and Ever17 are the next ones in this order. I haven't read Higurashi nor Umineko so they can possibly change the order on my list. Maybe I'll have some time for them next summer... When it comes to nukiges, Discipline and MGQ series are the best.

if you "Really" that new to visual novel, try this first :

>Katawa Shoujo (slice of life)

>Saya no Uta (gore, horror)

>Nekopara (slice of life, maid)

reasons :

three of them have something similar, light story and romance. You can easily comprehend the story.

let me get straight to the point of each story :

katawa shoujo, about disabled kids

so, yeah, you play as protagonist (well of course) that got arrhythmia, a rare heart condition that causes his heartbeat to sometimes become irregular

then transfer to school only for disabled kids.

saya no uta, surgery makes his perception of world changes

imagine you're living in shitty world (literally), full of organs and extremely unpleasant stench. That's how the protagonist perceive the world.

and suddenly there's only 1, human-looking, at least that's what he perceive her.

nekopara, humanoid-cat daily life

well, this one is for soothe your heart, the mischievous act of them are what makes the story

seriously, this one really calming visual novel.

Surprised no one's mentioned G-senjou no Maou yet. Sure it's not on the same level as MLA or Umineko, but it's got a great story and beautiful OSTs to match.

I also feel the content and route structure is a good introduction to someone new to VNs.

It was actually my first VN and something that really set me up for all the rest.

Happy reading!

What are your preferences (genre, etc.) ? I'll give you some recommendations based on it.

Well, I haven't read enough visual novels to actually know what I want so I am just going to look through you guys' favourite visual novels. I think Katawa Shoujo's a good reference though, compelling story, engaging characters, the diverse routes and their endings. I really liked or even loved everything about Katawa Shoujo.

Edited by Teether

Wow, you guys really blew me away with so many different visual novels. I have to say, I am pleasantly surprised by all of your replies and here I thought nobody or little people would reply to this thread. Thanks for the recommendations guy, I've made a list with all of them in it and I will check all of them out thoroughly!

My top four:

1. Little Busters -- Those feel trains. My favourite VN, and it has a FANTASTIC true route... that absolutely destroyed me. Only complaint is a couple of the earlier routes weren't as good, but you have Rin-chan which instantly makes it all worthwhile. Great story and funny SoL. Note that you might want to wait for the perfect TL'n and official release before playing this to get the best experience possible. The perfect version has new routes, content and an entirely new character.

2. Higurashi -- This is actually two parts, Higruashi no koro ni and Higurashi no koro ni Kai. Awesome story with excellent mystery aspects. It's probably the darkest story on the list just in terms of content, but man... so much fun following everything, coming up with your own theories about what's going on etc. Hugely recommended

3. Muv Luv Alternative -- Do you like mechs? Sci-fi? Action? Yes to any of those and you're set. I believe this has been recommeded before here, so I'll just keep this short. Really the only bad thing about this story is you have to slog through Muv Luv Extra and Unlimited to get there. You can read my review here if you want.

4. Ever17 -- This is a pretty hotly contended spot in my head, but I think ever17 just scrapes through. Great sci-fi story with a mind boggling true route that'll keep you really engaged. Another review done by me here if you want more info.

Honorable mentions to Grisaia no Kajitsu (which is officially localised!! (its two sequels are being localised as we speak)), YU-NO (OLD school adventure VN... use this guide to avoid going insane) and Rewrite, my first great VN experience. Oh, and also Katawa Shoujo because it's one of the best EVNs out there and pretty fun (and completely free to download here).

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod

Sincerely, thank you guys! I didn't expect to receive such a warm welcome, find that something to fill the void in my heart, I might have just found it. I've got a question to ask about Shiny Days though, from Sanahtlig's guide to install the patch file, I want to use the direct download link, but I don't know if it's safe to do so or not. Therefore, I am in a stalemate or a stand-still, I want to progress forward, but I am afraid.

My favorite visual novel would have to be Clannad. A lot of others I like but nothing quite compares to that one for me. Few others from Key which are really excellent as well (Rewrite and Little Busters as have been mentioned as well) but that one still tops the list of their works for me.

As for the Shiny Days question, I didn't have any issues with the direct download here (have a bad history with torrents) but that was some months ago now so can't really vouch for it right now as I haven't keep up with it lately. If you are getting it off of Sanahtlig's blog it's as likely to be safe as anything you download.

Edited by Acrobot
My favorite visual novel would have to be Clannad. A lot of others I like but nothing quite compares to that one for me. Few others from Key which are really excellent as well (Rewrite and Little Busters as have been mentioned as well) but that one still tops the list of their works for me.

As for the Shiny Days question, I didn't have any issues with the direct download here (have a bad history with torrents) but that was some months ago now so can't really vouch for it right now as I haven't keep up with it lately. If you are getting it off of Sanahtlig's blog it's as likely to be safe as anything you download.

Thank you for your speedy reply and I know about Clannad through watching its anime, but forgot about it somehow, thank you for recommending Clannad! Edited by Teether
Steins gate. 10/10
Damn, Steins Gate, I remember watching the anime of it when it come out quite recently. I have to say, I wasn't ready or prepared for the feels, they just hit me like a truck and there I was laying on the ground like a perfect roadkill. I didn't know Steins Gate came from a visual novel until lately, I recall telling myself that I wanted to go experience the visual novel but I didn't. That was because I did a half-assed attempt to get it, I was like a computer caveman, couldn't get stuff online without a direct download link.

Mmmm Yume Miru Kusuri maybe... i'll never forgot that one, had such a great impact on me back in the day.

My other top 10:

Bible Black (my first VN)

Clannad

Ever 17

Never 7

Koihime Musou

Monster girl quest 1 + 2 +3

Sengoku Rance

Sharin no kuni

Stein's Gate

Utawaremono

It might have been brought up earlier but what about Fate/Stay Night? Have been told over and over again how good that one is and was thinking about maybe reading it next as I can find the time.

Slightly off topic I know but figured might as well use this thread rather than starting a new one.