What is the last eroge you finished, and what do you think about it?

sorry, i didn't post here for a while.

I most recently finished https://vndb.org/v1896

It was good. My favorite character is militant faction leader A (imgur: the simple image sharer). Everything goes in this gentle kingdom.

-end of review-

But, on a more serious note, it was certainly one of the better ones i have played. I loved the characters of witch and king. They were executed really well, by both voice actors and the characters themselves. While the premise is not something i have read previously(Haven't read anything like this previously..at least none i can recall right now), i think some of the concepts were a bit dated (after meeting character like Mayuki, i was hoping for something out of the box), but it was well executed.

The one thing i didn't like about this, was some of the scenes went on for longer than necessary. Also, Akihito recollections of his past were a bit too often.

It was very thought provoking, some of the scenes and monologues. Akihito's philosophy matched a bit with mine, that might also be why i liked this vn. But there's more to it than what Akihito thinks, our world is not that simple.

I love the comedy too, it was hilarious. I have taken countless screenshots of the funniest dialogues and situations in this vn. imgur: the simple image sharer

And..and...RONDO RONDO!! AHAHAHAAAAAAAA

imgur: the simple image sharer

HeR bgm made me feel high.

Question: If Rondo Rondo marries Rondou(who is from the same comyu), what would their children be?

i give this vn 8.5/10!

Edited by pramit
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Clannad. Took me like 1 month and 8 days or so. All routes, all CGs unlocked, etc.

No doubt one of the best nakiges around, 'cause it sure made me cry a lot. Literally crying at times, not just being teary-eyed. However! That only really happened during certain routes/scenes. It's a mixed bag for me. That's kind of expected though because of how many routes there are in total. Can't expect every single one to cater to one's tastes. Some are good, some are amazing, some are... not that good (MY opinion, remember that). So... yea... mixed feelings, and I'm not sure what rating I'm gonna give it. I will say though that the best parts in Clannad pretty much overshadows the "average" parts. So in the end I think it's a great VN.

Some random info from my experience with it:

Favourite routes: Kotomi's route and After Story. Ultimately it's these two that stood out the most for me in Clannad. Kotomi's route was a very big surprise... I just didn't think it would get that incredibly emotional. Absolutely loved it and I would be willing to re-read it at some point. After Story was equally amazing during certain parts of it, most (not all) of which took place during the second half. Also After Story had the best music, which is a pretty big deal.

Least favourite routes: Ryou's & Kyou's. Yep. Kyou's route had a few good scenes, but most of it was just annoying to me. I don't mind the characters at all, but the routes weren't to my taste unfortunately.

Favourite characters: Hmmm... probably Kotomi (because most interesting + waifu), Tomoyo (because cool girl) and Fuko (because funny cute). Though I like several other characters as well and there wasn't any character that I straight up disliked. Nagisa's parents are awesome.

Music: Some of the best emotional songs I've heard in any VN. Don't need to say much more than that. If you've read Clannad then you can already guess which ones are my favourites. Besides those songs though, I really like the one that plays in the "illusory world" scenes, and also the characters' theme music.

Translation: Fine in the main game for the most part. Not good throughout the majority of After Story... mistakes and awkward English all over the place, seriously. Thankfully however it did get much better in some of the best scenes in AS.

Sunohara's screams: 10/10

Mei's "Onii-chan": 10/10

Kotomi's triple question marks: 10/10

Clannad: Dango/Dango

http://i.imgur.com/VVA2KlP.jpg

Edited by Harlequin
  • 2 weeks later...
After a bit of break from VNs, starting Hoshizora no Memoria to ease me back in.

For context, that post was on the 17th of December... last year. Yeah... it took me over a year to read mainly because I got really busy and sort of forgot about it. Good job me.

Hoshizora itself is mixed for me -- I might do a proper review later* -- but there were some parts I really enjoyed. Komomo's was my favourite overall, followed probably by Asuho's'; I liked Kosame's too. Problem is that the other two main routes, as well as bits of the common, I found arduous to the point of not making me want to play it (hence the reason it took a whole year). I might also add that, as a scientist, their 'explanations' for half of what goes on is misguided to the point of being painful, but I suppose that's beside the point.

[spoiler=Don't read if you haven't completed the game]The two 'true routes' were also a bit of a disappointment... there were definitely bits of Yume's that I liked, but I found it a little bit slow. Mare's felt more like a brief bit of fanservice than an actual route, but anyways... maybe I'll mellow out once I have time to digest everything.

Overall, I had a lot of fun with certain parts, despite others being distinctly unpleasant (like Chinami's entire character). Still, I think I'm ready to play more visual novels now that this one is finally done, so I'm definitely looking forward to that. Hell, I might even be more active here! Hahaha...

Maybe

*If there was anyone who'd actually read them...

• 2 weeks later...

i finished neko Para ~~

My thoughts: Cats meow meow cats cats cats meow! Meow the cats and cats meow! The cats were meow and the meow were cats!

I am meowicus the meow and this is catucus the cat! There were many kitty cats and many meowy meows! If you meow all the cats, you will have cat desires

and you will have catpanions for the rest of your life! We must meow to become cats and change the future of the cat paradise!

The things i liked: the kitty cats were cute and they meow day to day! the meowy food were meowious and now i'm stuffed with cats! :/

I heard all the cutie meows and my ears were filled with beauty cats meow!

My expectations of the next Neko Para game: I hope the cats will travel forth to the middle meow and eat plenty of fish!!

Edited by Fluffy

I finished https://vndb.org/v515 one week ago and it's the only visual novel I was able to finish since last summer but nevertheless I couldn't bring myself to write one of those "OMA's short review thingys" which I don't understand because I really enjoyed the game.

tltr: Finished https://vndb.org/v515, enjoyed the game, maybe I'll post a short review soonish

Finished Killer Queen. Haven't read a VN since last March and needed something a bit short to get going. It's definitely in the longer spectrum of the 2-10 hours length on vndb, probably a good 8 hours. It was a decent VN with some problems that hopefully get fixed in the remake, Secret Game.

Pros

• Intriguing mystery setting and environment
  • The rules in the game can create some interesting situations.

Cons

• Execution is poor. Hopefully this gets fixed in Secret Game
  • Not enough interesting characters
  • The protag, while having a reason, can get pretty annoying.. especially in chapter 1

I thought Chapter 2 was better than Chapter 1, but to those of you that have read chapter 2, you probably know the main criticism that it's "easy" to solve. But the situations that Chapter 2 presents I thought was better. Chapter 1's main heroine just didn't do it for me and really wasn't that interesting.. it works for the protag's background.. the protag also, IMO, is a lot better in Chapter 2... though again, there's a reason why he acts like a pacifist in Chapter 1.

All in all, it's a decent mystery VN as long as you don't think it's the next 999 or whatever. Just lower your expectations a bit. One of the few characters I was interested in, Reika, has a route in Secret Game, so i'm looking forward to that since it's supposed to be the best route apparently. 6.5/10.

Finished eden* yesterday. I haven't read anything since like November and I've became an expert procrastinator, so it took quite a while. Since this VN is coming out in 2 weeks, I though I'd write my impressions. Spoiler free.

Starting off with the negatives. The first problem I had was the with the very slow and boring beginning. I didn't get really "hooked" for a while. The really good parts started somewhere before the OP and oddly enough, after that point I just couldn't stop reading it. If you can get to the OP, you're basically home free. Plowing through the beginning is definitely worth it. The middle parts were just perfect, if it continued like that until the end I would have given it an even higher rating. Sadly, it didn't. The last part of the VN is way too long and it drags quite a bit, those sections should have been shorter. Other than that, I didn't like the Lavi character all that much. The was she behaved throughout the VN was a bit too crazy for my taste.

Next, the positive stuff. The music. Holy shit, the music in the VN is absolutely awesome. I don't think there's a single bad track in the whole thing. If you liked Ef's music, you'll be very impressed with this as well. TENMON and Eiichiro Yanagi did the music, the guys who also made Ef's OST. Another thing I should mention is the awesome backgrounds, probably the best I've seen. Breathtaking, really.

The writing was very good. While not amazing, some scenes made me cry like a little girl. That sort of thing didn't happen since Clannad. A big plus in my book. The overall plot didn't feel convoluted at all, it's fairly light. I didn't check the 18+ addon, nor I plan to, so I have no idea how that's like. Supposedly it adds "random h-scenes" to Memories, Eustia style, i.e., the scenes don't appear in the story at all, they are separate. That's a good thing since this is one of those VNs where you really don't want h-scenes at all. Also, Gotou Mai.

Rating: 8/10

After I finished this VN, I wondered who can I recommend this to. It's definitely not for everyone. There's this certain sad feeling throughout the whole thing, not a whole lot of comedy and I guess some people would consider it to be quite uneventful. If you're not fond of that sort of thing, better stay away. On the other hand, if you like "deep" VNs that don't have cheesy cliche bullshit, I'd highly recommend it. I think the writer from Ef who wrote Chihiro's route also wrote this. If you've read that, you'll know what you're getting yourself into.

Edit: I was wrong, it seems that he didn't write Chihiro's route.

I really really hope it does well, it would be a real shame if it flops. I'm kind of skeptical about it, though. The thing I'm looking forward to is the reactions from the "steam people". Some of them won't expect this.

Edited by killerinsidee
I think the writer from Ef who wrote Chihiro's route also wrote this. If you've read that, you'll know what you're getting yourself into.

That's a very good thing in my eyes, 'cause I think that arc was my 2nd favourite in Ef. For good reasons. It was an interesting and different romance story.

That's a very good thing in my eyes, 'cause I think that arc was my 2nd favourite in Ef. For good reasons. It was an interesting and different romance story.

Actually my bad. I searched around a bit and it seem that this writer didn't write Chihiro's route. Apparently, he wrote Miyako's and Kei's routes. The other writer wrote Chihiro's. Still, I can't find any reliable info on it. Basing it on some info I found about the fandisc. *shrugs*

In any case, if you liked that route, you'll probably be into this too. I could have sworn the same guy wrote it since it felt similar.

Edited by killerinsidee
The thing I'm looking forward to is the reactions from the "steam people". Some of them won't expect this.

Call my a bitter cynic, but I'm fully convinced 80% of Steam users have mush for brains, and will complain about how there is too much reading and not enough boob/panty shots.

Call my a bitter cynic, but I'm fully convinced 80% of Steam users have mush for brains, and will complain about how there is too much reading and not enough boob/panty shots.

Possible that some of them will. But consider the few serious VNs on steam.. User reviews of Planetarian = 99% positive, Narcissu 1&2 = 91% positive. I think most of them will be able to differentiate stuff like Sakura Spirit/Angel vs Planetarian/Eden*/Narcissu/etc

Done with FHA. For years I waited for it to be translated, and now that all the waiting is finally over I'm pretty satisfied. The story was good and musics were great (Caren's theme and Shinji-oh earned their place on my list of top-tier OSTs). Caster's clumsiness and jealousy were adorable, but that's not enough to change my love for Rin :o

All in all, extremely enjoyable game with a lot of text (took me 50+ hours). 8,5/10

I've had my eyes on Higurashi for some time now, and it's probably my next VN if my studies let me have enough free time...

Well, I just finished Da Capo II (DCII). Not exactly something I thought I'd enjoy be really into, but surprisingly enjoyable. Probably better than Hoshizora... and it definitely didn't take me a year to read this one, so already a major improvement.

I think the thing that struck me the most was DCII's consistency; there were no routes that I actually disliked. Sure, a couple of them were only average and, at times, outstayed their welcome a bit, but they all had redeeming qualities that I could enjoy. Quite honestly, I can't think of one VN that I've played that's been as consistent as DCII. The slice-of-life elements were pretty amusing the whole way through, and even the common route (which you have to play through multiple times to get the different routes) changes enough to keep it interesting and fun... so well done to them. I didn't think I'd actually enjoy SoL that much. My favourite route order is shown below.

Minatsu > Yume > Anzu > Otome > Koko/Nanaka

I can't decide which one I preferred, they had similar themes which I didn't like as much.

Despite being fairly solid, there were things I didn't like. Two of the routes, namely Nanaka's and Koko's, were just... plain. As I said, they still have bits that were enjoyable and I didn't dislike them, but... I feel that more emphasis could have been put onto certain themes that would have greatly have improved them. In addition, the endings of many of the routes were... very saccharine, and I didn't always get that 'payoff' you sometimes get in VNs when conflict in a route is solved. Half the time it just felt like the conflict was brushed under the carpet instead of actually being tackled. I suppose there was an element of 'acceptance' in there, but sometimes it just felt like they avoided giving the reader a full conclusion for some reason, which I didn't appreciate.

[spoiler=Don't read unless you've completed the game]Quite frankly, I think it would have been more interesting to have 'magic' play other roles in the story. What are Otome's powers? We don't really get told the extent of them, and they're only briefly hinted out. What about Yume, does she harbour any other powers? What about Anzu, how did her memory operate? Etc. etc., I just thought it was a bit of a waste to have a genuinely interesting magic-y topics and not expand on them. Sakura's route also felt more like a mandatory explanation rather than an emotional segment, so I was a little disappointed (although it was quite short and covered the main themes, so I can't be too annoyed).

My other bone to pick was with the H-scenes... you probably know my position on these now. If they're added haphazardly and gratuitously for the sake of having H-scenes, I don't like them. And they were here. You could of course skip past them, but it annoyed me that they were there in the first place. There were also a few other gripes, the world itself being one of them (it was a bit unbelievable on occasion...), the protagonist's stupidity when it came to anything involving romance and the fact the characters seemed inexplicably to get sick for plot convenience at the drop of a hat... but I won't go into depth here.

Despite sounding a bit critical, I did enjoy DCII quite a bit (on my harsh-rato-meter, it'd probably be about a 7.8-8.1), and it was pretty consistent. I suppose I just felt it could have been even better, that's why I sounded a bit harsh... but if you're wanting something fairly light to play with comedy, SoL, romance and a little bit of drama sprinkled in (not a huge amount mind you), then I'd recommend this. It worked pretty well for me as a destresser (since I just read ~1-2 hours a day before I slept for about a week), although I am quite a fast reader so most people would probably be spending a little bit more time on it than I did.

Not entirely sure what to read next... could read a light novel or a sci-fi book, but I'll see. Also, as always, I could do a proper review if anyone was interested (but I doubt that :p). Plus time.

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod
I'm sure you're trying to say something but I can't quite grasp what it is......

Something akin to "Welcome!". Either that or Nothing. [noparse]:p[/noparse]

The setting/location for Higurashi's story is called Hinamizawa, which is based on a real village called Shirakawa-go. That's what's in the video. Doubt it means much for you right now, but still.

Choco, I didn't expect you to read moege like DC at this point. Go get some Innocent Gray or 07th Expansion stuff : D

Well, it was partially because it was recommended to me by a certain someone (can you guess who? :p), but I had also wanted to compare it to the previous VN that I read, Hoshizora... and as I said in my post, it took less than a year to read, so I think DCII won that little competition. I was planning on reading Kara Shoujo either next or soon, which is especially topical because the second game should hopefully be TL'd soon-ish (citation needed). I was also contemplating reading some like Yu-No, which is supposed to be really amazing and a classic. That said, I legitimately got lost the previous time I attempted to play Yu-No (well done me) because there were too many branches and then my guide ceased to make sense -.- . Still, I definitely want to go back to it, I just have to be more careful when playing it since it is pretty complex. But those are the VNs I was sort of thinking about reading next.

And, of course, whenever the hell Little Busters EX is bloody well finished I'll drop everything and read that, but who knows when that'll be.

Well, it was partially because it was recommended to me by a certain someone (can you guess who? :p), but I had also wanted to compare it to the previous VN that I read, Hoshizora... and as I said in my post, it took less than a year to read, so I think DCII won that little competition. I was planning on reading Kara Shoujo either next or soon, which is especially topical because the second game should hopefully be TL'd soon-ish (citation needed). I was also contemplating reading some like Yu-No, which is supposed to be really amazing and a classic. That said, I legitimately got lost the previous time I attempted to play Yu-No (well done me) because there were too many branches and then my guide ceased to make sense -.- . Still, I definitely want to go back to it, I just have to be more careful when playing it since it is pretty complex. But those are the VNs I was sort of thinking about reading next.

And, of course, whenever the hell Little Busters EX is bloody well finished I'll drop everything and read that, but who knows when that'll be.

About YU-NO, the walkthrough on vndb isn't bad at all. I came across a couple of problems using that, the first time in the shed (you mustn't click on the door in the back while it says something like "click on everything") and then, probably in Kanna's route, when a certain someone wasn't showing up in front of her apartment (moving around aimlessy solved that for me), but is otherwise fairly reliable.

Back to DC, I've been conflicted about moving to DC 2 for a long time now, it looks fairly appealing but I found the first one to be an excruciating experience... still haven't decided what to do.

I was planning on reading Kara Shoujo either next or soon, which is especially topical because the second game should hopefully be TL'd soon-ish (citation needed).

Not really that big of a deal since they focus on different main characters, but you might as well read Cartagra first since it came out first and happens before Kara no Shoujo.