Visual Novels Translation Status [12/18/2016]

I mean most of the routes are done and the pre-patch is already out. Only Akira's and Motoka's are untranslated... most people just play for the Sora route anyway.

yeah, but ill play it when its 100% ^_^

ive tried playing a partially translated game once(dracu riot, it was partial at that time) and when it did get translated, somehow... my will to play the game vanished, idk why.

its just me though. so for now ill wait for 100%. its kinda my policy.. xD

The meaning gets slightly thrown off, it's nothing big and you'll probably have fun reading it as it is.

You don't mean where we changed some of the jokes to fit an English audience, do you? There were some references and lines that needed tweaking to make them funny or sensible in English. We purposefully changed some line to account for that. We would've liked to modify more, such as using 'exorcist' instead of 'Onmyouji', except that it made certain other scenes unworkable (the East/West comparisons fundamentally relied on having an Eastern/Western dynamic which was lost by changing the word). In general, we tried to avoid direct mention of Japan and Japanese mannerisms as much as possible to avoid immersion-breaking, and it meant reworking some of the lines on occasion.

You don't mean where we changed some of the jokes to fit an English audience, do you? There were some references and lines that needed tweaking to make them funny or sensible in English. We purposefully changed some line to account for that. We would've liked to modify more, such as using 'exorcist' instead of 'Onmyouji', except that it made certain other scenes unworkable (the East/West comparisons fundamentally relied on having an Eastern/Western dynamic which was lost by changing the word). In general, we tried to avoid direct mention of Japan and Japanese mannerisms as much as possible to avoid immersion-breaking, and it meant reworking some of the lines on occasion.

Ah that's probably it

That's usually the case, can probably be seen in several VN's both fan translated and done by e.g MangaGamer or Jast or whoever else there is. (Sekai project and other more recent companies doing translations of both adult and all-ages VN's or making adult VN's into all-ages ones regardless of how much has to be cut, heh doubt I'll ever understand that.)

"rub-a-dub-dub thanks for the grub." as seen in a certain game from Mangagamer is probably not quite the best match for the Itatakimasu or eh I probably butchered that spelling. :D

(Post the machine translated VN'sof their early first and second year heh had really hoped they would revisit and update more - all. - of those games but that's probably unreasonable and especially now with some of those original VN companies having closed down too probably making licensing and such difficult.)

EDIT: Forgot if it was Jast, MangaGamer or both (And various fan translations to?) but I do like the little documentation provided with some games explaining the translators reasoning behind certain terms and keeping or changing more common things like say the honorific system and what not, doubt I'd ever learn Japanese well enough myself but it's interesting to read their reasoning behind certain choices like that. (Expressions and other sayings and well it's probably pretty difficult to translate some of these VN's into English both accurately and with also having to ensure the reader can understand most of it without totally changing certain parts.)

EDIT: Ah right there was also a test or questionnaire in one of Jast's games which they changed from Japanese themed questions and answers to English ones.

(Think it was Jast at least.)

Edited by jbeckman