Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer | Spoilerless review

Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer | Spoilerless review

16529.jpg

Title/vndb link: Kikokugai - The Cyber Slayer

Original title: 鬼哭街 The Cyber Slayer

Length: 2-10 hours

vndb Description:

[spoiler=.]A tale of revenge set in future Shanghai, where crime syndicates and cyber-warriors rule the city.

The schools of martial arts can be largely divided into two styles - Waijia, the external schools that concentrate solely on the development of speed, strength, and powerful forms and techniques - and Neijia, those that use control of breathing and blood flow to master the internal energy - qi - that flows through the body's meridians. Because of these methodological differences, the two styles have vied time and again for supremacy.

Although practitioners of Waijia were far greater in number, in the end not one of them could stand up to a warrior who had truly mastered the secrets of Neijia. For centuries, this was the unchallenged law of the martial arts world. However, the advent of cybernetics changed everything. Freed from the yoke of their physical limitations, Waijia schools discovered an entirely new world of possibility. The Neijia schools that had reigned over the martial world with their secret techniques, suddenly found themselves obsolete.

In this age where technology is changing the face of combat, heirs to the ancient martial traditions have developed anti-cyborg techniques for the sole purpose of defeating cyborgs with one's bare hands - at great cost to the wielder.

Kong Taoluo, one such master and former asssassin in the Qingyun Society, returns to Shanghai from a year in recovery after being betrayed by the syndicate and assumed dead. Discovering the horrible truth of what has happened to his sister during his absence; Taoluo swears an oath of vengeance and sets out to murder those responsible.

My personal Description:

An action packed and cyberpunk vn, that takes place in a futuristic china, watch how the protagonist takes the path to complete revenge, for the tragedy that took hold of his beloved sister.

readers note:

before i begin, i'd like to inform you that, i give harsh and punishing comments but also fair and just at the same time.

the observations and opinions is only mine and mine alone, and everything mentioned below does not reflect or represent any individual, community, organization's view on this visual novel.

my expectations before reading the vn:

this vn will be futuristic(because of the title), involves hacking of some sort, involves sex(checked vndb for 18+ content),

awesome plot(because its notro+), involves loli kicking and licking asses.

my experience with th vn:

i played this for more than the minimum of 2hours and less than 10hours.. somewhere in between that time frame,

with breaks in between.

it was quite enjoyable to be honest, and the lines where fking badass and awesome. there are portions that i can keep reading continuously for hours, and there are some parts that takes balls of steel to go on. but when action starts to kick in and revelations dropping from left to right, its all downhill and awesome at that point.

as expected of nitroplus, they really love noitamina(content aimed for mature audience) plots, and they deliver.

they are masters in this field, even though this was only their 3rd vn, they where already experts at this point,

and in the near future they would create another masterpiece called steins;gate.

my expectation was all correct except, i thought the loli would be the one kicking ass due to the vn cover where heads everywhere and she

just smiling there.

Story:

there are 3 things that are strikingly notable and commendable in the story, one is the action, two is the sex and three is the cyber battles.

the story is great but could have been better if it wasn't squished into 2-10hours and made 10hours instead, to further deepened the character developments. the ending was good, but not amazing

Graphics:

the graphics was hands down great, comparing it to other visual novel's art quality of that time,

this could even be easily mistaken as a vn made in 2010+'s on some scene. it is, THAT pretty on some scenes

the graphics blends well to theme.

character designs are strangely modern and advanced for its time. this could easily match vn's ahead of its time.

just look at these character designs(Not spoiler)..

[spoiler=characters]

40160.jpg

40161.jpg

40163.jpg

40162.jpg

Voice Acting:

Non voiced

Music:

again, like the graphics, the music is also great and has good placement, it mixes and combines as the Scene altogether.

interface:

for some reason, i'm not comfortable with the interface. the interface could have been better.

although they have assigned shortcut keys on the keyboard, the placement and controls could have been

more efficient.

Overall:

i give it a 6(decent), because the end felt unnatural and rushed. i don't mind if the story ends in a

brutal, happy or a sad one. as long as it's delivered naturally. the end was good, but due to the lack

of attachment to the characters, the final blow didn't reach the necessary strength of impact to deliver it.

this vn is actually 6.5 but i rounded it off because of my selfishness in wishing this to have voice acting.

Edited by charlbeef

Well, the thing is there is 2011 remake translation and it was voiced. It was also translated as well. Yes, translated using translation from the old version of the game. I played the remake version, and it was good imo. My only complain is that translated remake version had small font size, but other than that is fine.

PS - Just in case you interested with Kikokugai remake, you could Google 'Kikokugai remake prepatch' and the rest is up to you.

Well, the thing is there is 2011 remake translation and it was voiced. It was also translated as well. Yes, translated using translation from the old version of the game. I played the remake version, and it was good imo. My only complain is that translated remake version had small font size, but other than that is fine.

PS - Just in case you interested with Kikokugai remake, you could Google 'Kikokugai remake prepatch' and the rest is up to you.

thx.... damn! i'd love to say him say those badass lines voiced!