Out of control Bad habit

zalgo.jpg

This post is about the bad habits of some vn readers

including me.

Lets start from the very beginning

I am just your average joe, anime lover...

i don't even know what a visual novel is

I do know what an eroge is though,

found out about it from anime's i have

been watching at that time

i like anime that is

of noitamina in nature

due to the shortage of noitamina anime

i ventured to

doujinshis

little did i know that,

it would only be a matter of time

before i moved to

vn's

it was, maybe...

2nd half of 2015

i gave vn's a chance

took a while for me

to find a suitable one

i am not sure what my 1st vn was

but it was either

koichoco or katawa shoujo

i was looking for a good story

with H content,

back then

and to my surprise,

i liked it

and then i craved

for more

and this is when that

everything got fked up

it seems i found a vn

that a single heroine is

not appealing

compared to the other

ones

i finished all heroines

except that

less appealing

one

i tried finishing her

route, but reading it became

like a chore to finish

oh how ungrateful i am

i search for another vn

then read

then another

then read

the cycle kept repeating

without me finishing

it

and now my list ended

up with lots of

stalled almost completed

vn's

at the this rate,

if i kept finding awesome titles

i'm going to be burried

i ended up juggling

alot of vn's at the same time

as much as

juggling 8

vn's

some of you may also

have this bad

habit

some dont

at the moment,

i'm trying to remove all

these pending vn's

before installing another one

so i may once again

enjoy reading vn

one at a time

like back then

Maybe, a good practice to keep is to play the heroine

you least want to play or least appealing, so the chances of you finishing

the vn would be higher?

But, oh well

who cares

i've wasted enough of

your time already

Edited by charlbeef

You are not the only one ... Personally, I know lots of VN readers who just play only 2 or 3 heroines (sometimes even just 1) out of 5 or 6 in the VN, because those were the ones they liked xD There's no point in reading a heroine's path which you don't like, that's worse than not reading the VN 100% ... You just burn yourself out and start disliking the VN medium xD ...

I like to read most VNs and can enjoy them utill the end so I have no problem finishing all VNs fully when I start reading them ... Also, I am kind of a slow reader, so I usually take more time to read something than your average VN fan :D

You are not the only one ... Personally, I know lots of VN readers who just play only 2 or 3 heroines (sometimes even just 1) out of 5 or 6 in the VN, because those were the ones they liked xD There's no point in reading a heroine's path which you don't like, that's worse than not reading the VN 100% ... You just burn yourself out and start disliking the VN medium xD ...

I like to read most VNs and can enjoy them utill the end so I have no problem finishing all VNs fully when I start reading them ... Also, I am kind of a slow reader, so I usually take more time to read something than your average VN fan :D

your oppa slow and steady style

at the moment i am trying my best to return the the right track, i've been killing one backlog after another these past days..

i want to return to the time when i only read 1 vn, no distractions, dip myself in the concentrated plot without switching vn's..

i also learned my lesson, that i should pick the less favored heroines 1st.. :p

Not all VNs and Eroge are worth completing but that depends on what it is you're looking for in that particular title. I will say if you drop or stall something without completing it then you really don't know what your missing, even if it does turn out to be crap!

Not all VNs and Eroge are worth completing but that depends on what it is you're looking for in that particular title. I will say if you drop or stall something without completing it then you really don't know what your missing, even if it does turn out to be crap!

indeed..

I have a number of "Playing"/Stalled vns in my list. The reason i keep it stalled just has to do with the fact that its a pain to restart it. Like, if the vns needs me to clear some troublesome dungeon, or some other gameplay aspect i am too tired to overcome, or if there is a problem with saving the game, or if the game is just cOmpletely lackluster (princess evangile). And sometimes i am just looking for an easy snack , if you know what i mean.

I have a number of "Playing"/Stalled vns in my list. The reason i keep it stalled just has to do with the fact that its a pain to restart it. Like, if the vns needs me to clear some troublesome dungeon, or some other gameplay aspect i am too tired to overcome, or if there is a problem with saving the game, or if the game is just cOmpletely lackluster (princess evangile). And sometimes i am just looking for an easy snack , if you know what i mean.

sounds about right, the problem on my end is that... even though i read at an average speeds, the releases kept coming left and right and i get easily distracted... at the end of the day, i juggled between newly red vn's and almost halfway done vn's and it gets horrible when the last heroine is quite unappealing like princess evangile... the pink hair heroine... the rest are fine for me :p

Hmm most of the time I read every heroine path and well though it not always hold true I tried to take the one I think I would like the best last though so far the Harem have ben the most funnies :)

There have ben one or two when I had found what the route and Heroine was about. Where had to simply close and comeback some other time NTR route is something i try to stear clear off but it can not always be done if you want the Harem :)

"Critical Point" was one I had to do over chunks but well I but that is because the plot twisted depended on which choice you take ;)

"Crescendo" was another one I had problems finishing all route more then once Kyoko is still the only one I revist more or less.

"Kana~Little Sister~" is one I simply can not start again after I finished all 6 routes but well It did cause me to cry a river of tears more or less

Then there other I have no problem picking up again like "Lets Meow Meow" and "Harem Party" both are pretty funny and well they more or less just speask to me :)

This just some of the once I have read over the years I started when I was 18 (I am 36 now ) with "3 Sister Story" and "Season of Sakura" love both to be honest :) ad have continued to read VN's since with "We Love Master" as the most recently read :)

Edited by Horagen
Addition and Spelling check
Hmm most of the time I read every heroine path and well though it not always hold true I tried to take the one I think I would like the best last though so far the Harem have ben the most funnies :)

There have ben one or two when I had found what the route and Heroine was about. Where had to simply close and comeback some other time NTR route is something i try to stear clear off but it can not always be done if you want the Harem :)

"Critical Point" was one I had to do over chunks but well I but that is because the plot twisted depended on which choice you take ;)

"Crescendo" was another one I had problems finishing all route more then once Kyoko is still the only one I revist more or less.

"Kana~Little Sister~" is one I simply can not start again after I finished all 6 routes but well It did cause me to cry a river of tears more or less

Then there other I have no problem picking up again like "Lets Meow Meow" and "Harem Party" both are pretty funny and well they more or less just speask to me :)

This just some of the once I have read over the years I started when I was 18 (I am 36 now ) with "3 Sister Story" and "Season of Sakura" love both to be honest :) ad have continued to read VN's since with "We Love Master" as the most recently read :)

haha! thx for sharing your past experience with vn's... the last vn i have finished was critical point and that was yesterday...

and the pain with the skip button skipping unred text by default made it really hard xD

back then, vn's used to be real dating sims, but these recent years, vn's tend to have fewer choices 20+ at most. and semi linear story,

unlike the mentioned vn critical point :cool:

modern vn's tend to follow certain structure now, like common route.. then lock to heroine route or harem route..

sometimes a heroines' design is visually unappealing to me + stale story, like princess evangile pink hair route..

i just finished it recently, it took loooots of effort to finish her route >.

haha! thx for sharing your past experience with vn's... the last vn i have finished was critical point and that was yesterday...

and the pain with the skip button skipping unred text by default made it really hard xD

Heh Speaking of "skip button" yeah I do miss it in the older VN's in "3 Sister story" only some of the choice can affect the ending :) you will need every time to finish the story to the end to see the effect but I will say this I laugh so hard when I first notice the change ;)

Her is an example if you choose to use condom each time sleeping with the students to help the school nurse.

nothing will change as long as you say "no" to the 2 other sister :)

But if you do them raw there is a chance that they will end up pregant so you get a bad ending ;)

back then, vn's used to be real dating sims, but these recent years, vn's tend to have fewer choices 20+ at most. and semi linear story,

unlike the mentioned vn critical point :cool:

Yeah it seems to be hmm is distilled the right words to use here. into few more importent answers like the change for Bioware dialog wheele the big change from DA:O and DA2 well atleast for me it was :)

Making few more certain answers to one question makes it easier to figure out but can also less the experience to a big degree.

One of the reason I love Critical Point is the many choices and many endings that it has :) the canon one I think is call "Ending 99 True ending" or something like that :) I need to replaying again it is close to a year and an half I last played it :) On that really got me laughing in Critical point was the "Kill by a Dildo" ending it was wow what ? and then I broke down laughing so hard :D

modern vn's tend to follow certain structure now, like common route.. then lock to heroine route or harem route..

sometimes a heroines' design is visually unappealing to me + stale story, like princess evangile pink hair route..

i just finished it recently, it took loooots of effort to finish her route >.

True I think games like critical point is more appeal atleast to me even though it has bigger margine for make the wrong choices but well :) for developers view though they old games need more money to make. As it does take longer to make them and you needed more scenes for it to work well... and will with our needs for more games each and everytime we finished one ;)

Games needed to be boiled down for developers to achive both- more games for less money in the same time it would take to make one.

Some newer games are still decent to play more then once after finishing every route :) But I will still pick up my old gems like True Love or May Club and replay them each year again if time allows it :)

"princess evangile"

Yeah it one of those I am still debating with myself if I would start playing or not... not sure why but something is holding me back from playing like a pickling or raise hair on the back of my neck telling me I will not like it :) perhaps in a year or so next time I will give the reviews and summary another glance :)

• 1 month later...

Totally relate-able problem... I have it too :p . I just told myself that i have the freedom to choose what i want to do,and not to be push around by "myself"

This bad habit of mine is more prominent in Doujinshi though...like everyday i will find new doujinshi,bookmark them, read a few , but then i find out even more, bookmark even more, read a few, oops it starts to repeat and spin out of control

I have this problem as well, only gotten worst lately due to time restrains. I think the problem is tied to a fear of missing out on something good to read or play, with so many activities vying for our time and attention it's only natural that some things get left behind.

I have a huge backlog of games noted in vndb, it used to bother me a lot due to my completionist nature, but nowadays i accepted the fact that i can't take on so many things to play or read.

My advice? set an objective for a vn you want to finish, like completing the common route or a specific character route in a week, or something you feel apropriate, reward yourself when you get it done in that time, etc.

You can't choose the vn ? too many ? asign numbers to each one you have on the list, and use a random number generator to select what to play. etc.

Im drunk right now, so this advice might be bs. or something, but yeah, you are not alone in this.

gl