Yume Miru Kusuri Discussion

So, I've decided to play Yume Miru Kusuri as my next VN. Not exactly a hugely popular one, but it's still got some good reviews on the VNDB.

I'm going to blather on here in this thread, hopefully without too many spoilers about my thoughts and experiences as I go through the game. Feel free to play along, or add your own comments.

From what I know about the game, there are 3 main heroines. Each with some pretty heavy issues. I'm just past the first choice as I type this, so I barely even know the 2nd or 3rd heroine, but the info on the first already has me going gah. Aeka's issues with bullying are to put it lightly extreme. I mean come on, someone used a taser on her in class?!...

I decided after looking into the game a bit that I would go after Nekoko's route first, but avoiding Aeka and just leaving her to the crazy bullying was difficult. I imagine I will probably like her route better than the stocking-ed Loli I've chosen to start with, but I will still probably play her 2nd and leave the class pres that I barely know anything about to last.

You would think after playing G-senjou, I'd pick a novel that had a bit more happy and brighter characters. But while I thought about Kira Kira, and My girlfriend is the President, I decided to go for this one anyway, because the art style drew me in quite a bit. Hopefully it will be worth my time.

Edited by Haika

I have heard mixed reviews on this VN. I've heard it's pretty polarizing but i'm going to try it next after completing Ever 17. Anyways, i'm curious to your reaction to this VN as we seem to have similar tastes :D

This VN is trying to be more "realistic" about some issues in society, but doesn't really succeed at that since they just go overboard. I did enjoy it though, since it was trying something different. All of the routes are quite decent, even though the game kinda fails at character introduction. I'm sure that almost everyone felt a bit guilty if they didn't choose Aeka as the first route to play. Also it doesn't help that she is the only one that gets a proper introduction and you can see what problem she's having. With Nekoko you don't even know what the hell is going on.

I forgot to mention, the sister route got a last minute cut from the game. There is a section for her CGs in the menu somewhere still. /cry

Edited by killerinsidee

I forgot to mention, the sister route got a last minute cut from the game. There is a section for her CGs in the menu somewhere still. /cry

Aww, that sucks. I was reading some of the character profiles and saw that she was a non-blood related sister... I was thinking she was definitely going to be a route.. guess not :(

Yeah I heard about the sister. Apparently the gay guy at the shop had a route as well, or at least an ending. As creepy as that may have been. I actually like him as a character. The whole conversations about him trying to get the main character to play an eroge really strike familiar notes to this forum.

That aside, Just met Nekoko for the first time. I don't know if the music playing is her theme or whatnot, but I love it. The mix of fast paced piano, cymbols and synthed horns is really right up my ally. And the humor with her as a character is great. It may be way too early, but first impressions make me quite happy with choosing her route first. ^.^

And about 12 hours later I find myself taking a break from the game for a bit. I'm well and truly into Nekoko's route now. I was actually immensely relieved when the other two heroine plots ended... The way the three storylines are somewhat merged at the start and eventually you focus on one is a little troublesome. Even after meeting Nekoko the heart-wrenching guilt about Aeka is just repeated over and over, though I was starting to enjoy the brief bits with Mizuki.

I will say that so far the H-stuff has been extremely stimulating. Especially for a Loli route. Usually the lack of much of anything feminine turns me off during those scenes and I skip through it, but this game has had a number of what I would call 'fetish' experiences. I'm used to most story based VN's like this to only have a bit of vanilla level sex at most. This game however seems to have plenty of variety, almost to the point of oddity at times.

The game is getting more and more into the main issue of Nekoko's drug use. I've never done drugs on a level even close to what the game is talking about, even with all my health issues. I can currently see 7 different bottles of pills just from my computer setup, though most are all over the counter stuff. However the closest I've ever come to the sort of addiction issues the game is going through has been with caffeine. Caffeine is something I've grown to depend on in the mornings, though I don't drink coffee only soda, I can firmly see the signs of addiction there. Although my caffeine addiction is nothing compared to the issues of dealing with drug dealers and inflated costs for illegal drugs and the like.

Ahh, just finished Nekoko's route. Took a day off here to spend some time with family, and just didn't feel like playing much yesterday. So today I wrapped the route up.

I suppose you could call this the 'Fairy Tail' ending... Irony aside, the story was pretty good. However, I don't believe it really pushed me over the emotional edge as much as some of the other games I've played.

I did like Nekoko as a character, and the big spoiler totally blind-sided me. So there's a positive there. Also as I mentioned before, the H-scenes seem to have a bit more feel of 'kink' than your typical VN. I found them refreshing and quite enjoyable. The music was pretty awesome at times as well, I've watched the credits and now have 'The Catgirl Stomped' playing as I type this. :D Of the BGM I have opened, this one really stands out to me. A strong Jazz or Swing number, with a heavy baseline.

One thing I didn't go into was the bad or neutral endings. I still have the option of going back and doing them, but I don't really feel the need. Usually I try and do the lesser endings first, but this time I just wanted to get to the happy ending. Heh, I suppose I'm a typical male from that statement.

Anyway, onwards to finally save poor Aeka.

Well this thread really is turning into my personal journal as I play through the game. I hope at least some few are reading these and enjoying them. I usually make it a habit to not reply to my own posts, but this will be the third time. I could always edit the post, but I feel that I made the thread, and would like to continue it the way I am with each update.

I've started working my way through Aeka's stuff. So far the story just feels so very wrong it makes my skin crawl. The main character especially seems like such a pansy that I can barely take it. And there's been like 4 H-scenes with Aeka so far, mostly vanilla stuff(then again most everything will probably seem vanilla compared to Nekoko's stuff), but they don't make me happy AT ALL.

This whole idea that she is giving herself to the main character in exchange to be protected and desired seems disgusting to me. That said, I don't really blame the main character for allowing it to happen, I'm a guy, and if that sort of situation came up, I'd go for it as well. However, it worries me that things are going to just get worse for both Aeka and the MC. I really hope the MC finally grows a pair, and snaps Aeka out of this mess that she's in. I suppose I shouldn't expect it so early, there's half a dozen scenes left in the route. But that doesn't mean I have to like watching the story go that route because of the wishy-washyness.

Really so far the whole route has just made me angry. I don't like the way the sex is just tossed in there with little to no emotional expectations, I suppose it's a common thing, but it seems to fit right in with the bullying and the distance that is kept from Aeka. Even after things happen, they just try to ignore each other and continue on in class like everything is peachy. It irritates me to no end.

Anyway, with those irritating thoughts for the evening, I'm going to call it a night and see how things go tomorrow. Feel free to post here if anything I've mentioned came up during your own play-through.

*raising hand* I'm reading this thread and I think it's interesting to hear somebody else's thoughts while playing a VN lol. I have yet to play this particular title yet, but it's on my list, so it's useful to me to hear somebody else's firsthand thoughts so I can decide whether I want to play it soon or later on. Hope you don't fall into a depression after playing two dark games back to back, Haika... haha

i totally agree with you Haika regarding the pansyness of the main character but even so aeka's route was still my favorite ( well Nekoko's route was awesome too but i found myself more emotionnaly involved with aeka's). I won't say more since some readers may have yet to play YMK but seeing how the Main Character was built all over the game i kinda understand why he's reacting that slowly in the beginning of her route.

Glad people are interested in hearing my thoughts as I play though games. :)

However I have some bad news. I ended up getting myself hospitalized for several days here. So I borrowed my mother's laptop to stay connected with the free wireless. Suffice it to say, I won't be playing many VN's during my stay. Even if I could find a clean one, I'd still have to download it, and that's iffy here at best.

So I will update this thread when things get better, and I will eventually finish this game and more!

Glad people are interested in hearing my thoughts as I play though games. :)

However I have some bad news. I ended up getting myself hospitalized for several days here. So I borrowed my mother's laptop to stay connected with the free wireless. Suffice it to say, I won't be playing many VN's during my stay. Even if I could find a clean one, I'd still have to download it, and that's iffy here at best.

So I will update this thread when things get better, and I will eventually finish this game and more!

Have them buy you a good Nintendo DS visual novel.

Hope you get better! I've always been curious about what being hospitalized is like. Injury, illness, or something else?

My issue is a bit of all three, basically had part of my gut rupture on monday, and have been in pain since then. It got infected, and thus I'm here in the hospital on a strict no anything diet, and IV drips. The particular room I'm in is very hotel like, though it has the obvious 5am people with needles coming to take blood, and nurses making routine vitals checks through the day.

Oh and painkillers, lovely lovely painkillers. ;/ You'd think all painkillers would be great, but apparently the ibuprofin I was taking before I got here ate at the lining of my stomach just adding to the issue. Then they gave me morphine to try and cut the pain, causing a crash an hour after taking it and a headache like I took a running start at a brick wall. By now however they've started giving me another IV drug every 2 hours that seems to work much better.

I had my first decent night of sleep since sunday last night, so things are looking up, though it looks like I'll be here at least through monday. I'm about to get a new dose of painkillers, and try out this pretty amazing shower they have here. I think you could easily fit 6 people in it. Try that on for size imaginative types... :D

Alrighty, 11 days later and I am finally out of the hospital. However, Healthy activity in that area of my body is a bit strenuous at the moment, so I'm a bit wary about playing more of this right away. And Frankly I'm not really in the mood after so long. So I may have to put this on the back burner for a bit, and go try something else. I'm thinking perhaps Kira Kira that I finally got downloaded and working.

• 2 months later...

Welp, 2 months and however much between, and I've decided to start this up again. I decided I wanted to try and push through this to see how things work out with the third route and the class president. However, before I can get there I want to get myself through the headache that is Aeka's route.

The problem is I'm having a hard time finding good points with Aeka other than some cuteness. She's in a state of almost constant depression, and while I'm finally getting to the part where the MC is actually getting off his ass and doing something about it, I think it's way too unrealistic. Bullying is a problem in schools, but the whole 'Not my problem, so I won't get involved' thing seems a bit too conservative. Especially for Japanese culture who have a strong sense of heroism and such in their media. The story here is supposed to be this cold depressing reality, and it seems like it's almost missing that last word. Stun gunning a girl in class so she's screaming and falling over with burns on her back just being ignored by the teacher? I mean come on. There are limits. I don't really expect this to change as I continue on through things, since the story is about the characters, and the teachers in the school don't even have faceless icons for the most part, so they basically exist like a charlie brown teacher to go wah wah wah only when the story calls for such limited interaction.

So far I just don't see the pay out. Having to deal with this depressing bullying crap, and being forced to sit there and wait as the main character grows a pair doesn't seem worth it very much to me for H-scenes with Aeka. I've seen 5 scenes so far, and each one just seems boring. Then again I remember the craziness that is from the Nekoko route, so I may be a bit warped.

I'm probably going to take a break here, and get some sleep, then try and finish things up in the morning. I can't say I'm looking forward to what else is left to experience in this route, but I am looking forward to the class president. It may be a little simple minded, but she's the only one of the three who seems to have any mature endowment. Lolis are fine and all, but they aren't the thing that gets me going.

The bullying is not that overreacted, except for the stun guns. That was a bit... not that they are sold by 10 pounds at the shop of the corner, you know. I guess that Aeka's route is for the people who like characters who depend a lot (not to say entirely, in this case) on the main character.

FIrst things first. i love this title.

one of the most amazing story ever, which is aeka's route.

Bishoujo gaming are filled with surreal setting, where 'moeness' was glorified. Yume miru kusuri is had different setting. one of the most grounded story, close to perfection. it's one of the story that you had to look past the surface to really understand the meaning. aeka's route is an ode to loneliness. the message is it's okay to be alone, to do things alone, to not follow the crowd, be true to yourself, and to hope that you will found happiness one day.

The antagonist especially nanjou and jingai was over the top but it's necesarry to create a fullfilling ending, because the more evil a person is, the comeuppance they get will be more satisfying.

Most people who ever been bullied might be reluctant to share the story,because it's embarrassing, because that means they had to relive the moment. aeka story might give them or anyone who is being or had been bullied a perspective, a hope, a deeper understanding that bullying is an immature act, that bullies is someone that they should feel sorry for, because for bullies in order to feel strong, they had to torture the weak. in order to look beautiful, they had to point out other peoples ugliness, and the order to feel better them, they had to feast upon other peoples misery.

And the most important thing. if any actual bullies read this VN, it will make them feel ashamed. you can't lie to yourself, if you are bully, you know it.

The realism of the main protagonist in this route also need to be addressed. first of all he's not the generic character that mostly presented in VN, he's not strong and tough. There are people out there who would prefer not to get in trouble, to run away from conflict as long as possible, to be ignorance of the surrounding, the environment. Most of the people would certainly be pissed of the helplessness of the character, most of us would probably angry while reading this route, most of us would certainly prefer to scream and punch and kick and fight back. it's very much doable in real life, but it's the beauty of this story. I can endure and feel what he feels, to enjoy our moment together despite the agonizing reality. to feel the contrast where hapiness end and sorrows begins. I can feel his despair and makes it mine. The hopelessness where the whole world are against me and aeka.

This is what the writer trying to achive. and he's done it amazingly well. while i'm with aeka, i literally feel happy and calm, and i feared the next day when the morning come. it's an amazing experience you know, being able to exactly relate to a character, to feel that i'm actually there instead of reading it. that's why this novel is not for everybody. only certain people who had similiar experience and similiar personality, also similar situation, can relate to the story. to find it bittersweetly beautiful.

--------

i'm actually had a high school life excatly like the protagonist. i'm a loner and comfortable with it, also had a few friend i hang out with. i had not been bullied myself or bullied other people, but i have friends (more like acquaintance) who have been bullied for a long time. it's a girl, she's not pretty and she's kinda weird, so she's being bullied (in high school i might add).

--------

the music scoring are perfectly in sync to accompanied these lonely souls. it really makes loneliness beautiful.

--------

aeka's quote

A - nanjou-san once said that you'd get tired of me

K - And you're still worrying about that?

A - But it's true, isn't it? even now, i'm living by tying you to myself

A - Maybe there were other paths you could have taken. Maybe there was another happiness for you.

A - But i claimed you for myself.

this amazing line made me think about my own life, how many time in our life, a decision defines us. that one defining moment. do they exist or is with enough work we can change our path, get back to the road not taken. could we even know it as we pass them by?

made me also think about nekoko. Would she still be on drugs? will somebody else save her?

--------

about the other two route:

Mostly just to tell a story and create a picture of depression in adolescent life. where mostly attempt to avoid reality. Doing anything just to feel alive. An analogy that a person road to happiness is really bumpy. One must fall to the pit of darkness just to had a shot at a new beginning, a better life.

i love aeka's route the most, second is nekoko, the last is kirimiya.

--------

Last note: this novel is written by Romeo tanaka (hajime yamada) who also wrote kana little sister, and my favorite novel kazoku keikaku.

Edited by inthesky
Most people who ever been bullied might be reluctant to share the story

Actually...No. I was bullied for 6 whole years but I didn't like her story at all. Hell, I didn't even feel for her. Well I'm probably broken or something.

if any actual bullies read this VN, it will make them feel ashamed

Nah seriously, they won't stop bullying just because of reading that title. It's always easier to fallow your current way (bullying) than going back and take another one (stopping it).

Rest of your review.

I don't share your opinion but still, thumbs up. Great review because you REALLY explained why you love that game but...

and my favorite novel kazoku keikaku.

...I CAN'T FORGIVE YOU FOR THAT!!!