Self made Visual Novel/ translation

That game has so many mistakes in it. It's full of grammatical errors and missing words. When I played it I just thought, "I could have improved this so much if I could edit the scripts." Then the next game I played was Edelweiss and I was horrified by the terrible spelling and grammar. But then I realized that without that terrible spelling and grammar, I'd have no idea what was going on at all. It was very depressing.

But I do know just a little bit of German:

Ich liebe Sie, OneManArmy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ich liebe Sie, OneManArmy!

Sorry but I'm already married to saruda.

Edelweiss

The flower is awesome but the game sure had a crappy translation. The characters spoke for 2min and all you got was "Yeah, that's right!".

Are you kidding me? Well the game was understandable but nevertheless a pain in the ass. If I remember right then mangagamer released an

improved patch for edelweiss. I hadn't any problems with the translation of deardrops though. But magagamer tends to have more mistakes

than other fan translations. Nah, I'm not someone who can't live with some mistakes. Thumbs for their work. (^^)b

Sorry but I'm already married to saruda.

Yeah, I saw that, too bad for me :(

Nah, I'm not someone who can't live with some mistakes. Thumbs for their work. (^^)b

I can live with it, but it annoys me more than it should. I don't know why, but for some reason spelling and grammar mistakes really annoy me. Especially when it's a product that they expect people to pay money for, it shouldn't be that bad. It's like a they took one look at it and guessed a close meaning, then typed it with a blindfold on. Obviously I couldn't play it at all without their terrible translation, but it still annoys me.

Well I don't pay any money for their translations so...

Yeah, but lots of people do, and then they get that.

I hadn't any problems with the translation of deardrops though.

It has lots of typos and grammar errors. Each one is something small, nothing like the mistakes in Edelweiss, but more than half the lines in that game have one of those small mistakes. They add up, and my tolerance wears down.

Also there was one typo that was pretty funny. They called Gonda-san "Gonad-san" (If you didn't know, testicles and ovaries are gonads).

gonad-san.png

I've never tried that before - I feel like I wouldn't be able to stand it. Now it might be different; I used to know nothing at all about Japanese, but after watching anime for the last year, I can understand a lot of common phrases and I kind of get the sentence structure. So even if the translation is bad, if there are voices I can somewhat understand it. I might give that a try with a Japanese game (but I still have a few translated games to play. If I could understand Japanese I'd have so many games to play I wouldn't have time for anything else.)

Iiiiiii want to write a gameeeee... I don't have the motivation, but I've thought of many ideas over years. I'll think of dialogues, situations, characters, finales. I write nothing down. There's no point in even mentioning it. I grew up desiring to be a writer, until I became a teenager and thus sunk into the "adult world" just deep enough to give up at anything I ever cared about. Even once out of that enough to realize that I don't care about society's standards, motivation and energy are still far gone.

Maybe if I'm still alive in another 30 years after I've fully obtained peace and contentment.

...Hey, I'm a bit perfectionist about these things.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey, i'm bumping this thread to ask what software you use to edit the text in the vn's?

If you're talking about translating a game, then you need a programmer to take the game apart and put it back together again.

If you're talking about something you make yourself, there are various free tools. RenPy is one that's pretty simple and easy to use.

The games have obviously different game engines and so you need also different programms for extracting the text files etc.

If you want to translate a game that has already been translated to a different language, you should try getting in contact with the translation team, because they have these tools.

How do you translate VN's/Eroge? I really wanna know how......

Someone extracts the text from the game, then you translate the lines and have him put them back in.

Different translation groups do it differently, but that's the basic process.

Someone extracts the text from the game, then you translate the lines and have him put them back in.

Different translation groups do it differently, but that's the basic process.

Makes you wonder how something that sounds simple is actually alot of work lol. Well I'm sure it's not really that much work it's just probably really tedious.

Makes you wonder how something that sounds simple is actually alot of work lol. Well I'm sure it's not really that much work it's just probably really tedious.

I don't know how hard it is to extract the text, but reverse engineering software doesn't seem very easy to me. It must not be too hard for people that know what they're doing, though, since it gets done all the time.

But that aside, the translating part is where it turns into a lot of work. There are thousand of lines to be translated, even in a short game. And how long it takes depends on how much skill, motivation, and free time the translator has. Sometimes it takes years for a game to be translated. Very often it gets dropped once the translator realizes how much work it is. Also, if the translator can translate it, that means they can understand it enough that they don't have to translate it, so they're really doing it for other people rather than themselves, and it's a lot of work to do for someone else.

I don't know how hard it is to extract the text, but reverse engineering software doesn't seem very easy to me. It must not be too hard for people that know what they're doing, though, since it gets done all the time.

But that aside, the translating part is where it turns into a lot of work. There are thousand of lines to be translated, even in a short game. And how long it takes depends on how much skill, motivation, and free time the translator has. Sometimes it takes years for a game to be translated. Very often it gets dropped once the translator realizes how much work it is. Also, if the translator can translate it, that means they can understand it enough that they don't have to translate it, so they're really doing it for other people rather than themselves, and it's a lot of work to do for someone else.

It's definitely the translation part which eats most of the time. My raw narcissu translation is now at 90% and it took me up to now 6 months.

And seriously, the game isn't that long.

• 2 months later...
The german patch for narcissu's finnaly out : OneManArmy's Blog - MyAnimeList.net. Took me 7 month.

Now I will write in german:

Vielen Dank für den großen Aufwand den du auf dich genommen hast. Ich warte schon sehr lange auf das Patch (Hab es zwar schon gelesen aber trotzdem). Und hast du vor noch mehr zu übersetzen? Ich hab auch schon überlegt ob ich damit anfangen soll... Was sagst du dazu? Lohnt sich der Aufwand bzw. sollte man sich mehr Leute zum überseten holen? Oder besser, lohnt sich der Aufwand verglichen mit der Zahl der Deutschen VN Lesern (die bekanntlich SEHR viele sind... *hust*)?

Now I will write in german:

Vielen Dank für den großen Aufwand den du auf dich genommen hast. Ich warte schon sehr lange auf das Patch (Hab es zwar schon gelesen aber trotzdem). Und hast du vor noch mehr zu übersetzen? Ich hab auch schon überlegt ob ich damit anfangen soll... Was sagst du dazu? Lohnt sich der Aufwand bzw. sollte man sich mehr Leute zum überseten holen? Oder besser, lohnt sich der Aufwand verglichen mit der Zahl der Deutschen VN Lesern (die bekanntlich SEHR viele sind... *hust*)?

Yes, i understand it without using google translate. Go me !

Lol

Vielen Dank für den großen Aufwand den du auf dich genommen hast. Ich warte schon sehr lange auf das Patch (Hab es zwar schon gelesen aber trotzdem).

Thanks for your patience, you won't regret it...probably. Oh and if you find some mistakes or if stuff's not working the way it should, please ask me.

Und hast du vor noch mehr zu übersetzen?

Nah not really. It's not that I wouldn't want to but I just don't have the time anymore. I mean seriously, 7 months for narcissu? That sucks. Can't imagine how long it would take me to translate something awesome like sharin no kuni.

Ich hab auch schon überlegt ob ich damit anfangen soll... Was sagst du dazu? Lohnt sich der Aufwand

Well it depends. You should be really sure about making a translation. It needs a shitload of time and patience. My advice, if you're really in for a translation, search yourself a shorter one. It's very important to see if you're really though enough for working on a bigger project.

sollte man sich mehr Leute zum überseten holen?

Well I personally prefer to work alone because it's always a huge pain in the ass when people back off. But sure, if you can find some trustful persons, go for it. The more the merrier.

lohnt sich der Aufwand verglichen mit der Zahl der Deutschen VN Lesern

If you wanna see it this way, not really. I personally started the project because I wanted to understand how much work it needs to finish a translation. If you just want to read a lot of "thank you so much, I love ya" comments, forget it. On the other hand, finished translations will increase the amount of people who are interested in visual novels so...

Yes, i understand it without using google translate. Go me !

Thumbs up, germany loves you.

Edited by OneManArmy