Self made Visual Novel/ translation

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently working on a german translation of narcissu. Not that you guys would be interested in it lol.

Well I translated up to now something like 65% and so I'll probably finish the project this year.

I'm not planning on making another translation though because it's just too much work.

Well there are actually a bunch of german people in this forum. If I remember right then I saw at least 8 persons from germany.

Anyway, don't expect too much from my translation because it's my first (and probably last) one but I'll put a huge amount of time

into the proof read. And I'm translating from english to german as well, because of obvious reasons.

Here's a link to my MAL blog where I'll keep things up to date : click.

Edited by OneManArmy
Yes, I have thought about making it and quicky drop it due to lacking the skill to write draw and programming

That's sadly a common reason for dropping a translation these days. It's like : Hey guys, I like visual novels, so let's make a translation!!!

Everybody is hyped up and post in every forum they know their plans, of course a lot of people will be happy about their announcement.

Well after some time they will realize that it's not that easy like they may thought and thus, another translation project is gone.

I always thought about translating a Visual Novel.

Though I'm not capable of reading Japanese yet, but hey, around 500 Kanji and basic grammar rules and a pretty weak vocabulary are already with me :p

I still have a long way to go, but in about one or two years, I think I'll be good enough to read Visual Novels on my own.

If I then find myself to be good enough for translating, I'll try to start a translation of Mashiro Iro Symphony.

But yeah, like mentioned above, I have no idea how hard translating actually is, either, and I don't know if I can actually do it.

Nor do I even know how I can even replace the text in a game, and make patch files..

And yeah, about making my own Visual Novel..

One thing I can do is compose music.

Yeah..

That's it..

Whatever I draw, it looks like crap, and that really ruins a Visual Novel.

I've only written a story once, and, well..

I wouldn't rate it above average.

I wouldn't say it was bad though either, but it really wasn't anything that would stay in your mind.

And is it just me, or are the german people gathering in this thread? :p

And is it just me, or are the german people gathering in this thread?

Who cares?

One thing I can do is compose music.

I personally can only write awesome stories, at least if you want to believe other people, nothing more.

Draw something? Forget it, everything besides stick figures is too much for me. Music? Never tried it. I can play guitar though

but that obviously won't help me with creating music. And there are some guys who want to make an own visual novel, just sayin.

Yume Creations: Die erste „professionelle“ deutsche Visual Novel

Thanks for that.

Directly asked if I can help :)

No problem but I personally have my doubts. They probably read katawa shoujo and now they want to make a similar thing.

I don't know if they really thought about all the work which awaits them. And well yukari (sadly) dropped way too much

visual novel translations so I don't trust her that much anymore. Well with all means, good luck.

We don't want to copy katawa shoujo. Our VN will be much shorter, just something simple for the beginning.

And well yeah I dropped a lot german translations, because doing alone a translation is really hard and time-consuming. And I doubt there much people who would read it, cause they know the english translation already...Maybe in some years my japanese ist good enough to make japanese-german translations.

For now I want to make a original german visual novel

because doing alone a translation is really hard and time-consuming.

Of course, making a translation needs always a lot of time especially if you're the only working person, did you expect anything else?

And I doubt there much people who would read it, cause they know the english translation already.

You're also right with saying that not many people will read your work but seriously, someone has to be the pioneer.

On the other hand, there are a lot of german people who don't understand english. Well anyway, good luck with your new project.

I've been planning out a little game of my own for a few months now, nothing big. More or less just something fun and something I have wanted to see in VNs but have not found many of in the English translated ones or even in OELVN ones either (it's nothing really spectacular, in fact it is just a very small idea for something I enjoy). I've been ghosting and lurking in the scene for quite a few years now but it wasn't until December that I decided to give it a shot myself. It won't be an eroge, unfortunately, though if it gets any kind of following that wants some maybe later on. (I doubt it, I'm no 4Leaf Studios or SakeVisual. I'm just one person with a friend making art and MAYBE someone working on music for me. To say I don't expect more than a few people playing it and liking it is an understatement.)

I admire anyone who puts the time and effort into making a game from scratch, even more so when it turns out to be a good game. To anyone else working on their own, I wish you the best of luck!

I wish I could translate, but the best I can do it use things like AGTH and paraphrase what it translates into grammatically correct English, and machine translations are not the best to read even when rewritten properly. Directly read, translated, and rewritten by person translations always sound better to me and it shows how hard some people really work and are willing to in order to share a game they like (or a game a lot of people want to read) with other people.

(I just looked at that game page-THANK YOU GOOGLE TRANSLATE EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT GREAT- and the description sounds interesting. Not really like KS at all to me, but that could be the translation talking. I won't be able to read it but good luck!)

Of course, making a translation needs always a lot of time especially if you're the only working person, did you expect anything else?

At the beginning i hoped to get a team, so that I don't have to do everything alone, but I'm also fine by myself, it just takes more time.

@Bane Doyle After we finished the german version, we want to translate it into english ^^

I'm also fine by myself, it just takes more time.

This. I actually prefer working alone. Dunno why, probably because I can do shit when I want.

Not really like KS at all to me

Nah, I never said anything about them making something similar to katawa shoujo when it comes to the story.

I was just talking about the idea of making an own visual novel which may have success.

To anyone else working on their own, I wish you the best of luck!

Ne need for luck, gimme more time lol. And yeah, machine translations sure sucks. I tried several games with agth+atlas and all I got was...

*Crazy cats nuke flying chair around nya~ tree hugging bumm*

^AH, ok that made more sense. OELVNs have been around for a long while, but since KS has been out I have seen more interest in them because it was successful. (NaNoReNo, a VN version of NaNoWriMo, even seems to have more entries this year, and more promising ones at that) But the timing of it being announced after KS could be pure coincidence. Some people like to make part of their games before even announcing it, and others complete it before releasing it in beta. *shrugs* Who knows.

In terms of making a VN, the only decent thing I'm good at would be writing and.... well I have confidence in my natural writing ability but... I've haven't actually made anything. More specifically I think suck at the details and what goes through people's head's. So a better way to put it, I confident in writing a script or dialogue but a novel is completely out of the question.

Though I am making my own RPG thanks to a lovely program I found (and got "free"... but hell after messing around with it I wanna pay for it :p... if I had my own cash T_T) that takes care the music, graphics, and programming. So the only thing you have to worry about would be making up the story to fit it all together (though if you want you can customize them or add your own stuff) Still kinda hard but makes things insanely easier compared to making everything by scratch. Too bad I have no motivation for my current project. Well it's more like I want to work on it, but everything fun is distracting me. I even have a demo of it if anyone happens wanna try.

Edited by superBlast

I haven't ever made or translated a visual novel, but I wish I could. I have ideas that I think would be good, but I don't have the skills to make it happen. I think I could handle the writing, but it wold take a lot of time. As far as programming goes, I think I could do it, especially with something like RenPy. Music is something I can't do, but there's always free (I mean free and legal) music on the internet. The biggest problem is that graphics are very important in a visual novel, and I have no talent whatsoever for art. Also, I don't trust myself to follow through and not lose interest in making it due to the large amount of work required.

Translating is impossible for me, as I don't have the necessary knowledge of Japanese required to translate it. I do, however, want to help, and have been as much as I can. I edit light novels on baka-tsuki and report typos and errors on tlwiki. I did translate the second ova of Seitokai Yakuindomo because it had been out for several days but it wasn't getting translated. The fact that I could look at the actual written version of it in the manga helped a whole lot. The parts that were original were harder to translate.

Good luck to anyone who decides to make their own visual novel or translate one, and if you want, I can help with editing or give my opinion on story etc. Be sure to announce it here when you complete it!

Wanna help me with my GERMAN translation of narcissu? No? Okay.

Yeah, that might even be harder than translating Japanese for me. I don't know anything at all about German. But anyone can give an opinion/advice about the story if you post a summary or something.

If anyone makes one in English, I can help.