Accel World Questions

Ok, so I'm thinking about dropping this anime soon because I just can't stand to look at Haruyuki (Male lead). The way he looks bothers me so I was looking around to see any pictures where he might look better like a "what he should look like" picture. I found this:

accel-world-marketing-japan-001.jpg

So I think the guy to the left is Haruyuki? Is that him just drawn differently? I think that is what his avatar looked like before he lost it I just need some confirmation.

Edit: Kuroyukihime looks so great why must she be wasted on Haru T.T

The words in the picture say "Sword Art Online" on the left side and "Accel World" on the right.

I also can't stand to look at him, but hopefully he'll be that silver avatar guy most of the time.

Correct, that is Kirito from Sword Art Online, a light novel that is MUCH MUCH better than Accel World's, imo (even though they're written by the same author). And Sword Art Online luckily gets an anime this coming July! >D

I also can't stand to look at him, but hopefully he'll be that silver avatar guy most of the time.

He's Silver Crow for about half and half (leaning slightly more towards being his Accel World avatar). When he's not Silver Crow, he's either his obese self or his pig avatar. Most of the battles aren't very long, and the characters spend a lot of time in the real world developing strategies to monopolize the game - which is the entire point. It's not just about battling but how they come about the battles as well.

Correct, that is Kirito from Sword Art Online, a light novel that is MUCH MUCH better than Accel World's, imo (even though they're written by the same author). And Sword Art Online luckily gets an anime this coming July! >D

He's Silver Crow for about half and half (leaning slightly more towards being his Accel World avatar). When he's not Silver Crow, he's either his obese self or his pig avatar. Most of the battles aren't very long, and the characters spend a lot of time in the real world developing strategies to monopolize the game - which is the entire point. It's not just about battling but how they come about the battles as well.

I thought that would be the case (lots of real world stuff), but I was still hoping it wouldn't be. Eve n the pig avatar is better than the actual person, but why would anyone, especially a fat guy, make their avatar a pig in the first place? It seems like he's inviting people to make fun of him.

I was already going to watch Sword Art Online, but your recommendation makes me look forward to it even more.

I thought that would be the case (lots of real world stuff), but I was still hoping it wouldn't be. Eve n the pig avatar is better than the actual person, but why would anyone, especially a fat guy, make their avatar a pig in the first place? It seems like he's inviting people to make fun of him.

I was already going to watch Sword Art Online, but your recommendation makes me look forward to it even more.

If my memory serves to be correct, in the manga the pig avatar was forced on him by delinquent #1, after he made a cool avatar for himself and got caught. I might be wrong.

If my memory serves to be correct, in the manga the pig avatar was forced on him by delinquent #1, after he made a cool avatar for himself and got caught. I might be wrong.

That makes more sense. He's such a wimp. I hate those characters. Hopefully he'll get better as the show goes on.

Yeesh it's the main character that everyone is worried about. I personally hope they actually build up some backstory for the main heroine and the supporting characters.

And in the (modified) words of a certain comedian "He's not fat, he's fluffy."

okay I'll admit it i had to get around the "fat kid" design too. I think it worked in heaven's lost property but not in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Meh... if kuroyukihime goes into a coma I absolutely will drop this too. She's basically the only reason I'm not bothered by the main protagonist's design. The story and everything else flowed nicely around her, hoping this doesn't go down the coma-until-main protagonist-fulfills-wish-then-wake-up path.

hmmm i'm probably gonna wait untill the anime is done airing, then ill watch it. That little ball thing is annoying, well actually his personality is really cool, but they could have made his charactger look better

Meh... if kuroyukihime goes into a coma I absolutely will drop this too. She's basically the only reason I'm not bothered by the main protagonist's design. The story and everything else flowed nicely around her, hoping this doesn't go down the coma-until-main protagonist-fulfills-wish-then-wake-up path.

I second this...it's bearable because of Kuroyukihime

His character design in my eyes is refreshing. I'm exhausted from all of the "typical"-looking protagonists who are wimpy, like Yuuki from Mirai Nikki. People would hate on him because of his cowardice, and would have a harder time emphasizing with his character, but Haru gets bullied due to discrimination, which is something a lot of people can relate to, especially if they were bullied.

His character design in my eyes is refreshing. I'm exhausted from all of the "typical"-looking protagonists who are wimpy, like Yuuki from Mirai Nikki. People would hate on him because of his cowardice, and would have a harder time emphasizing with his character, but Haru gets bullied due to discrimination, which is something a lot of people can relate to, especially if they were bullied.

Except a wimpy kid is a real thing. A 2-foot-tall spherical kid does not exist. He just looks so dumb, that it doesn't matter what he's like, since I can't stand to look at him. And he's a coward too; he's just as bad as those other characters on top of looking dumb.

Also, it's "empathizing" not "emphasizing" - there is a big difference (not trying to be mean, just correcting you for future reference)

A 2-foot-tall spherical kid does not exist.

What if he's also has dwarfism along with being fat? lol. Even though he does stand out alot compared to the more realistic looking characters I don't see the problem with it. Then again I tend to ignore details such personalities, super predictable stories, and stuff like that.

Edited by superBlast