Top Anime of 2018 AND 2019

As per tradition....

...yet, somehow I forgot to do a 2018 thread.

Anyway! It can reset to this year. For every year moving forward, I will make a thread of the top anime in the previous year. I might not be watching anime like I used to, but I still stream the first episodes of new seasonal shows whenever they air (check the EG Discord for announcements!).

Unlike 2017 since this is a 2 years thread, I will only list what I think is the one top anime of a season instead of three. Don't worry, while I did not watch a lot I still tried at least one episode of MOST anime in a season, so I think I can predict which one is the best.

-2018-

WINTER: Violet Evergarden

While there are many other entries worth mentioning in this season like Overlord 2 or the infamous Franxx, Violet Evergarden ultimately take the place for being consistent, one of Kyoto Animation studio's highest trait in their anime. Kokkoku has high expectation but fell extremely flat. A Place Further Than The Universe might be the dark-horse runner-up this season, however I did not watch it.

tQITL2i.gif

SRRING: Hinamatsuri

Some people will automatically say My Hero Academia Season x is the best shit ever was, but I honestly don't think it is much better than the typical shounen (source: manga reader). It's good and hyped, but not worth the best of the season spot. Imo Hinamatsuri on the other hand brings in a very fresh take on comedy and can be totally tearjerker at time. An anime that make you relax after a hard day at work/school, or reflect about your life and actions. The manga went more in-depth than the anime, but if you just want something to enjoy then the anime is plenty enough.

bWkfwm3.gif

SUMMER: Grand Blue

You expected Attack on Titan 3? Well, while it was good it was also how I expected it to perform, so it did not leave a special memory on me (Part 2 is a different story later). Grand Blue got the perfect combination of ecchi, comedy, and alcohol that you all will enjoy, with the cast of characters mostly entry college students. No more of that club/locker romance bullshit heh.

grand-blue-gif.gif

Asobi Asobase is also worth mentioning as one of the wildest comedy I've watch. Just take a look, a gif cannot simply portray everything:

FALL: SAO Alicization

I am expecting flame, but hear me out. I think that SAO has what it takes now to be a decent anime, actually. A-1 has start improving their animation and use more CGI in places to increase the feel of the show. This use of effects was first seen in the SAO movie Ordinal Scale. While not consistent (like in Alicization Part 2) this does make the show feels a lot nicer and look amazing. Here is an ED of Alicization 2 to showcase the high quality effects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGUroMhu1M0

Other notable shows included Bunny Senpai (which I super like as well, for the heavy dialogue similar to Haruhi), Tensei Slime for a decent isekai experience, Goblin Slayer (but White Fox's animation game has been D tier these days), and Zombieland Saga for the explosive introduction to the series.

-2019-

WINTER: The Promised Neverland

This is a hard one. Well, putting Shield Hero away as a potential pick was easy enough, since while it was an alright isekai it was not anymore exceptional than Slime Tensei, etc. The other tough contender is Mob Psycho 100 II for an absolute BANGER trip, and honestly could easily win this season as well. But if I have to pick one, I would give it to The Promised Neverland for doing the psychology aspect really well. Super recommended if you are looking for a creepy, big brain anime.

6db.gifv

SRRING: Attack on Titan 3 Part 2

From popularity alone, perhaps it should've go to Demon Slayer. Ufotable always does a good job with extraodinary animation, and now with a decent shounen plot? You can guess what a solid package Demon Slayer is. However, AoT 3 Part 2 did it for me this season, by connecting all the plot points hinted since fucking season 1, and then wrapped it up for an upcoming sequel. The best part? It is not even hyped; AoT is no longer the story about slaying titans and Eren being a bitch. AoT has ascended beyond being a shounen flavor of the season, and has delve into being possibly one of the greater series of the decade. Season 3 Part 2 is that turning point.

[video=youtube_share;hQuG-PdVJDc]

SUMMER: Vinland Saga

Another pretty tough season, as many shows have great potential. Dr. Stone is a very interesting post-apocalyptic anime, and so is the informative (and lewd) Dumbbell anime. But I will give Vinland Saga for the decent adaptation and for being a great tale of time. Recommended for those who are looking for an adventurous journey of time.

tumblr_puakbnaqwI1tndn6wo2_500.gifv

FALL: Babylon

"Wtf is Babylon", you asked. Once again, we are in the predicament of choosing the generic popular favorite My Hero Academia vs. choosing another show worth the spot too. SAO Alicization Part 2 doesn't feel that good anymore, and the other shows are unfortunately pretty mediocre. However, one show stood from them all, being pretty obscure while showing a good and solid cast of characters and progression: Babylon. Show looks super rich in quality, and moved along quite nicely for a detective/crime anime. Finally I can look forward to solving mysteries in an anime.

228f34f06f0d615b265ffebe6a8d826e4368642b.gifv

CONCLUSiON

Best anime 2018: Violet Evergarden

Best anime 2019: Attack on Titan S3 Part 2

Hope to see you next year~

Results for AOTY from /a/

Anime of the Season (Winter):

3. Wataten

2. Kaguya-sama: Love is War

1. Mob Psycho 100 II

Worst Anime of the Season: The Price of Smiles

Surprise of the Season: The Magnificent Kotobuku

Disappointment of the Season: The Price of Smiles

Best Girl: Kaguya Shinomiya (Kaguya-sama)

Best Boy: Yuu Ishigami (Kaguya-sama)

Honorable Mentions: Manaria Friends, Bermuda Triangle: Colorful Pastrale

Anime of the Season (Spring):

3. Demon Slayer

2. Attack on Titan III

1. Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu

Worst Anime of the Season: One Punch Man II

Surprise of the Season: Isekai Quartet

Disappointment of the Season: Carole & Tuesday

Best Girl: Bocchi Hitori (Hitoribocchi)

Best Boy: Tanjiro Kamado (Demon Slayer)

Honorable Mentions: Miru Tights, Senryuu Shoujo, Nobunaga-sensei's Child Bride

Anime of the Season (Summer):

3. Wasteful Days of High School Girl

2. Vinland Saga

1. Machikado Mazoku

Worst Anime of the Season: Arifureta: From Commonplace to World's Strongest

Surprise of the Season: Kanata no Astra

Disappointment of the Season: Cop Craft

Best Girl: Yuuko Yoshida (Machikado Mazoku)

Best Boy: Askeladd (Vinland Saga)

Honorable Mentions: Granbelm, Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV, Fire Force

Anime of the Season (Fall)

3. Chihayafuru III

2. Ascendance of a Bookworm

1. Beastars

Worst Anime of the Season: Azur Lane

Surprise of the Season: Oresuki: Are You The Only One Who Loves Me?

Disappointment of the Season: Rifle is Beautiful

Best Girl: Ai Magase (Babylon)

Best Boy: Legosi (Beastars)

Honorable Mentions: Stars Align, African Salaryman, Assassin's Pride

(I cut out some of the less anime-related awards to keep relevancy)

Surprise of the Year: Machikado Mazoku

Disappointment of the Year: One Punch Man II

OP of the Year: How Heavy Are the Dumbbells You Lift?

ED of the Year: Sarazanmai

OST of the Year: Senki Zesshou Symphogear XV

Seiyuu of the Year: Aoi Yuuki

Scene of the Year: Granbelm

Honorable Mentions of the Year: Babylon, Girly Air Force, RobiHachi, Dororo, The Magnificent Kotobuki

OVA of the Year:

3. Eromanga Sensei OVA

2. Is the Order a Rabbit??: Sing for You

1. Yuru Yuri,

Movie of the Year:

3. KonoSuba: Legend of Crimson

2. Youjo Senki Movie

1. Promare

Short of the Year:

3. How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno

2. Isekai Quartet

1. Manaria Friends

Worst Anime of the Year:

5. Carole & Tuesday

4. The Price of Smiles

3. Azur Lane

2. Dr. Stone

1. Kemono Friends II (bye rah)

ANIME OF THE YEAR 2019:

5. Demon Slayer

4. Kaguya-sama: Love is War

3. Attack on Titan III Part 2

2. Machikado Mazoku

1. Mob Psycho 100 II

Disappointment of the Decade: Psycho-Pass 2

Surprise of the Decade: Kemono Friends

Worst Anime of the Decade: Sword Art Online

OVA of the Deacade: Hidamari Sketch: Sae Hiro Graduation

Movie of the Decade: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

Short of the Decade: Space Patrol Luluco

Best Girl of the Decade: Homura Akemi (Madoka Magica) & Yui Hirasawa (K-ON!)

Best Boy of the Decade: Rei Kiriyama (March Comes In Like a Lion)

Seiyuu of the Decade: Aoi Yuuki

Scene of the Decade: K-ON! (The graduation song)

Anime of the Decade: Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Edited by kn1000a