Looking for good RPG/SRPG type game recs

If you have a PSPRiviera the Promised Land is a fantastic jrpg with a fairly uniqe battle system and some dateing sim elements. It's also in english, that is if you can find a gamestop that still has it in stock. If your looking for another VN eroge with strategy elements than Utaware and Tears to Tiara are two fantastic games for PC. Hope that helps :)

If you have a PSPRiviera the Promised Land is a fantastic jrpg with a fairly uniqe battle system and some dateing sim elements.

There's also a GBA version.

I would suggest the Ar tonelico series for a JRPG and Eien no Aselia for an RPG VN.

Grr, I still want to play Ar Tonelico badly...

As for adult rpgs, Check out Sengoku Rance, Big Bang Age, Brave Soul, maybe even Koihime Musou, though the rpg part there is pretty low. For that matter Rance and BBA are a bit more tactical than rpgish.

I will also support Tears to Tiara as a pretty good erotic rpg. Eien no Aselia however needs to go die in a whole, since the translators refuse to translate the sex scenes, making the game blatently boring and tedious.

If you are looking for a clean game, I might also suggest Galaxy Angels, the first one at least has a pretty awesome space combat sim in it. Different from an RPG, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Eien no Aselia however needs to go die in a whole, since the translators refuse to translate the sex scenes, making the game blatently boring and tedious.

That's an odd way of looking at things. The non H version is definitely the superior version of the game. It adds new routes, extra scenes, and has better art style than the original. The h-scenes really don't contribute to the story in any way. If you want, I'm sure you can download the 18+ version and look at the scenes... you probably won't need much translation.

There's also "Men at Work 2". Translated SRPG with h-scenes. As for how good it is, well... it's something atleast. Worth looking into if you run out of other options. You can download it on this site.

Aaaaand "Gadget Trial". No h-scenes, strategy gameplay similar to the Advance Wars games. Downloadable from here aswell.

Gonna try Tears to Tiara myself soon enough, since I'm done with School Days.

Edited by Harlequin
That's an odd way of looking at things. The non H version is definitely the superior version of the game. It adds new routes, extra scenes, and has better art style than the original. The h-scenes really don't contribute to the story in any way. If you want, I'm sure you can download the 18+ version and look at the scenes... you probably won't need much translation.

Sorry but no. I've played the clean version. I could tell each and every time when there should have been a sex scene. And at the time I couldn't figure out why there wasn't one, I played half the game thinking, well maybe I just haven't gotten to the adult parts yet. Then I did some research and found out about things like the evil route and such that were totally dropped for the clean version. The non-h version has LESS than the full game, I don't know where you think it adds extra, but from what I researched that was the opposite. I've seen the adult CG from the h version, but I want to read and experience the full game, not play some censored hack job and guess at the adult bits someone left out. I likely would have been less jaded if I didn't spend like a week playing it without knowing it was censored, as I really enjoyed the gameplay and story in ignorance before learning about the censorship.

But either way, this is a bit of a derail here.

I might also suggest Lightning Warrior Raidy, as a series it's a pretty hefty grind rpg. Might be interesting for the op to check out.

Sorry but no. I've played the clean version. I could tell each and every time when there should have been a sex scene. And at the time I couldn't figure out why there wasn't one, I played half the game thinking, well maybe I just haven't gotten to the adult parts yet. Then I did some research and found out about things like the evil route and such that were totally dropped for the clean version. The non-h version has LESS than the full game, I don't know where you think it adds extra, but from what I researched that was the opposite. I've seen the adult CG from the h version, but I want to read and experience the full game, not play some censored hack job and guess at the adult bits someone left out. I likely would have been less jaded if I didn't spend like a week playing it without knowing it was censored, as I really enjoyed the gameplay and story in ignorance before learning about the censorship.

This is a bit of a different topic, but like most VNs the sex scene really doesn't add to the story. Okay, so maybe the evil route was removed... from what I've heard,

it's just him raping a bunch of people.

I'm not sure where you researched, but the Non-H version is definitely the one with more content and it's more polished. It has better art style than the original and the Tokimi and Kyouko routes are translated.

Copied and pasted this of the list of features:

- Revamps the battle system (including character portraits)

- Adds two routes (Tokimi, Kyouko)

- Adds all of the subspirit scenes (as well as their sprites)

- Adds a bunch of new scenes throughout the game, including in subsequent playthroughs

- Censors some CGs (There is a patch that will uncensor them)

- Removes H content which did not contribute to the story anyway

This is not a post to suggest that censorship is okay. I too would have liked everything available on one VN, but the Non-H version has more content.

Aselia is pretty cool, if very flawed (primarily in that you could cut out a whole lot of bullshit fanservice and not hurt the core concept at all, and used that extra space to elaborate on actually interesting stuff). The actual battle system is one of my favorites, but the overworld mechanics are really wonky and unbalanced (there's pretty much no reason to ever build half of the structures, IIRC, and movement in general is kind of clunky). A more fleshed-out version of the actual combat system with more than four main archetypes, one of which is kind of useless, and a "fuck you, I win at everything" uberclass would be rad.

Edit: Also the non-H version is clearly superior if it added in Tokimi's route, because she rocks.

Ar Tonelico... well. If you really liked Kamidori's collecting/synthesizing stuff, it might be worth trying. Or you could just get the Ar Tonelico OSTs (the only parts of the games worth it in the long run, honestly) and pick up Mana Khemia/one of the Atelier Iris games, which have Gust's atelier-style gameplay and pretty great music of their own without the baggage and creepiness of Gust trolling rating agencies to see just how far they have to go to get an M rating (which was answered in AT3. Turns out having girls who look like preteens stripping as a battle mechanic is how far they had to go).

I'll back up the Fire Emblem recommendation, though. Start with 7, on the GBA. It's simply called Fire Emblem in English, as it's the first game released in the West. 4 (Genealogy of the Holy War) is also a good starting point, as is maybe 9 (Path of Radiance), though I'm not really a fan of that one. Stay away from 5 (Thracia 776), 6 (Sword of Seals), and 10 (Radiant Dawn), though, at least until later (the first two are really damn hard, the last one is just plain bad).

I would say Ar tonelico 1, 2 (PS2) and 3 (PS3) are quite the good games (Ar tonelico 2 being my favorite of the three) and definitely worth the time I've spent playing those 3 games just be warned that there is a lot of unsubtle innuendo in the English translation which were a lot more subtle in Japanese and the 3rd Ar tonelico got an "interesting" approach on how to power up your magic ^^ (namely the less your Reyvateil wear the stronger she get). If you don't lind this then the only "downside" would be that Ar tonelico 1 and 2 are really easy so if you're looking for a challenge during your fights you won't find it there, still Ar tonelico series' story is top notch and you should definitely play them. Fate/Extra (on PSP) is also a really good game, Persona 3 FES and 4 (PS2), Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call (PS2), and a lot more. As a side note, Growlanser 4 should be out by the end of the month and if you own a PSP you might want to buy it (I know I will ^^) 'cos it's a damn good game. And if you're only looking for a PC RPG/SRPG with visual novel elements and in English I would say Aselia the Eternal (All age version got more content that the adult one that's a fact but the adult one also had an add-on with the two new routes and all the ameliorations the all age version had.)since beside Kamidori it's the only SRPG visual novel in English I know of.

EDIT:

--> Alien : Ar tonelico 3 only got a PEGI 12 in Europe ^^ seems like they'll have to go farther to get a PEGI 16 or even PEGI 18.

Edited by Wilhem
There's also a GBA version.

I would suggest the Ar tonelico series for a JRPG and Eien no Aselia for an RPG VN.

I have a ps3,Wii,Xbox 360, psp- emulator on comp,ps2, ps1 emulator on android tablet.

thx everyone for the replies was running out of good jrpg , srpg , and h games to play.

• 3 weeks later...
im starting to get interested in rance ( thanks to Yachi in the SB)

but i dont know the correct order from the first to the lastest

any one kind enough to tell me ? :p

correct order for rance series Rance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the ones been translated so far are sengoku rance and rance 2

currently translated:

rance 3

rance VI:Collapse of Zeth

rance quest