Question about OCR and traceability...

Let's say, someone wants to ocr, for example a light-novel series which had never had a digital release, with commercial(bought) software(like Abbyy for example), how safe would it be to avoid any kind of tracing(we assume vpn is default).

For example, would the ocr leave some kind of hidden watermark which could be traced back to the point of purchase(of the ocr). Or could the books themselves contain some kind of mark(I think unlikely, simply too much trouble for physical book runs).

Would that certain someone be better off using a free ocr despite all the extra work(formatting etc)? Or is that someone simply worrying too much?

Question posed hypothetically of course.

• 1 month later...

I think the best way to know would be to consult their privacy web page : OCR Secure access with ABBYY Cloud SDK

But I'm not really sure what you don't want to get traced, the images that you're extracting the text from?

In this case I think all the OCR will use your data at some point to train their program but I'm not sure if they're really interested in storing who is reading what with their OCR