Baldr Force EXE and Baldr Force SE

Baldr Force EXE is the 3rd Title of the Baldr Series published by Giga for PC eroge version (NSFW) and Alchemist for Console PS2 and Dreamcast port (SFW) version. Baldr Force EXE was later re released as a bundle package in Baldr Masterpiece Chronicle along with another Baldr title and original OST. In 2018 Baldr Force once again got another re release for international player under the title Baldr Force Standardized Edition, which is actually translated port of the console version (SFW).

16905.jpg

World Building

Baldr series is quite consistent with their world building. In this world, Virtual world and real world are fused. Humanity already transcend ability to interject their consciousness into Cyberspace of the real world by projecting their avatar. Those avatar are capable to interact to the real world to certain degree. With decent programming skill you will be able to create pocket dimension and use them as chat room. The distant future can only be dream by singularity project scientist.

Sadly, like any other breakthrough, Cyberspace have their own dark complication. Digital data managed to assign physical form in cyberspace and can be manipulated by hacker, terrorist or opposing faction. To counter this, government, private security agency and major organization begun to improve the security of cyberspace. Thus lead to the advancement of militarized program that capable to pacify or kill the target via brain damage known as "Flatlined". Those militarized program then implemented to 3 different program. Armed virus program with physical form, Firewall called ICE/BLACK ICE and Customized Mecha Avatar called Simulacrum. Unlike other 2 program, Simulacrum required advanced programming skill to apply on pilot avatar thus it is exclusive only to major organization and very skilled hacker/programmer

Plot

In Baldr Force You played as Souma Tourou, a hacker affiliated to the famous "Steppenwolf" group. After the failed heist and loosing his partner, Tourou got captured by police and later scouted by military. Having no other choice to avoid custody, Tourou agreed to join army with intention finding and enact his revenge to his partner killer. Will tourou be able to find the killer?

Gameplay

maxresdefault.jpg

Balder series is a combination of semi linear VN and twin stick mecha shooter.

In the VN part, every heroine have 2 route, one good ending while other is bad ending. Initially only 2 heroine are available while other will be unlocked after you finish at least one of each available heroine route. Dont worry for repetition as every unlocked heroine route will cover much more into the world building and with addition of new stage.

As for the twin stick part, Baldr force is focused on customized your mech weaponry to create ultimate combo. As you use certain weapon in battle, you will gain EXP to rise the weapon effectiveness and unlocking more weapon to experiment on. Even though the combat is fun, the objective are only kill all enemy, which in my opinion is lacking on variation. More often then not you will be paired by your ally simulacrum. But unlike many triple A game their AI is surprisingly good and will steal your weapon EXP if you slacking off killing your enemy.

Author Note

Baldr Force EXE is my gateway to baldr series, so it have nostalgic factor to me. But worry not i will give my objective oppinion regarding the game.

First Lets talk about the VN part.

pro:

1st Souma tourou by any mean is not a silent protagonist. He have his own agenda and will do some questionable stuff to get it. Not to mention his goal for most of the part is revenge. In short he isnt a morally perfect protagonist. If you are bored by beta male cliche protagonist like me it is a great +

2nd Each ending of the heroine will reveal more and more information about the world building. with ability to jump to branch point it will make game feel less repetitive.

cons:

1st. Due to the semi linear nature of the story, earlier heroine route almost certainly doomed to be less epic then the unlocked heroine. Quite a nitpick but if your favorite girl is one of the early heroine it might sting a little.

2nd For someone who easily disturbed, There is heavy implication of RAPE done by one of antagonist. The console version censor it a lot but still left the implication of the topic. Granted the act are done to the avatar and not the real body but due to cyberspace trauma still presist to real world it might still disturbed you.

Now to the shooter part.

Pro:

It is quite a fluid twin stick shooter. Since the game encourage player to make the best combo combination, it will keep the gameplay fresh

Cons:

Most of stages objective ssimply kill all enemy. They could use more variant

Conclusion

It is a solid VN with solid gameplay. Granted it isnt perfect but still entertaining. Since Baldr Force is the only Baldr series currently translated, I said it is a good gateway to enjoy other baldr series. Grab the baldr force SE edition for player who dont read japanese. Take heed tho it is the censored version so not fell into eroge genre

Rate 8/10

Combo mechanic presentation

Edited by Red Phantoms
Thanks for the review, it clarified some of the thoughts I had on Baldr Force. I thought it was going to be more Ghost in the Shell than Mr. Robot with Mecha.

For Baldr Force yeah the protagonist is far more close to Mr Robot with mecha lol. If you interested on Ghost in the shell narative, Baldr Sky and Baldr Hearts will fit it better as your protagonist is more of Undercover Agent againts Militarized Religious cult and 3rd party nation doing some intervention to some developed nation Quite a spicy topic.. Too bad both are not in english yet