The Second Reproduction review by deathfire123

http://s.vndb.org/cv/19/4019.jpg

Ah, yes... The Second Reproduction, my first Otome game. What a game it was too. Very interesting. The Second Reproduction, while sounding like a nukige title, is actually a 15+ (close enough to be called All Ages) Otome Visual Novel. Otome meaning that the protagonist is female, and the routes you are given are male characters rather than female. This game has 3 routes, with two of those routes having 2 bad "credit" endings, otherwise known as the required bad endings for 100%.

Story/Gameplay:

The story in The Second Reproduction starts off relatively well introducing you to the main character, Christina, as well as a bit of her back story, and the back story of the world the The Second Reproduction takes place in. Right at the beginning before the opening credits, you are also introduced to the two main heroes in the game: Lezzete, Christina's faithful knight, who has come with her to help kill the Demon King, and said Demon King, Gardis. The third choosable hero in the game is Jin, Gardis' right hand man, and is sort of a side route at best.

There is only one actual choice throughout the entire game that decides whether you enter Lezette, Gardis, or Jin's route. However there are a lot of other things that change the route once you're on it. Lezette and Gardis' routes require you to do certain sidequests in the game to achieve their good endings. In The Second Reproduction, at regular intervals in the game, you will be given the option to explore a world map where you can visit set places on the map. You will be given the option to visit 2 to 4 places depending on the Round, Month, and previous activities you have performed that day.

The "Rounds" are completely story related but can be thought of as something like a "year". When given access to the world map, there will be points when there are blue or pink exclamation points. These represent optional scenes and side quests respectively. Except for the Pub, if there is no Scene/Sidequest marked at that area, there will be nothing to do there until the second round, for story-related reasons. Once at the second round, you can do much more with the world map than before. The Toy Store and Grocery Store you can buy items for side quests or gifts. The Church will give you guidance towards getting a good end. The Rose Garden will give you a random item or some money. The Pub you can visit and give a gift to the guy you are pursuing or just talk to him to raise his affection level (which needs to be a certain point to get a good ending as well).

Actual analysis of the story, it was pretty good. It had me interested throughout all three of the routes and had me caring about each of the guys equally. There are two separate stories in this game, the developing romances between Christina and the guy she is pursuing, and then the overarching story that each route delivers a piece to answer the puzzle (Jin only a little bit). I was a big fan of the story through the majority of the game and was intrigued to figure out the slight mystery the game presented, and was ecstatic when I was given the answer to all of my questions.

Characters:

Christina: The main character, Christina, is far from a doormat of a protagonist. She takes things up front and works hard, but that doesn't mean she escapes EVERY cliché. She is considered a strong woman, and fights in the army of Almenad, even though she is a Princess. From a young age, she took an interest in swordfighting rather than any feminine activities. Her personality is rather likable, she's trusting and kind, but fearless and willing to take risks. She can be a bit jealous but she's also a bit of a worrywart. Rather balanced I would say, and I found her character enjoyable throughout the entire game.

Gardis: One of the two main heroes to be chosen in The Second Reproduction. The Demon King of Deathryde, and very powerful at that. He's very quick on the uptake and is well-versed with his words. He is a bit of a playboy, but he knows when to take things seriously, and would do anything for his kingdom, and Christina.

Lezette: The other main hero to be chosen in The Second Reproduction. Christina's faithful knight who will follow any and every order she gives him. He's strong and kind, but unabashed about his feelings and rather shy when it comes to Christina, since he's had a crush on her for a while, but is unable to tell her.

Jin: The side hero in The Second Reproduction. He is Gardis' right hand man, the Prime Minister of Deathryde, and is very loyal to his king and his kingdom. However, he is a very big playboy, luring women into his bed and seducing them. He is mysterious and dislikes expressing his inner feelings as he keeps the mask of a fake smile on his face wherever he goes.

Overall, I liked pretty much all of these characters. Christina's strong will is definitely fit for a protagonist. Lezette's honesty and "puppy dog" love was adorable and very cute. Gardis' devotion was definitely what made him my favorite character. Jin was definitely forward, and he led to some pretty nice scenes.

Route Wise,

Lezette's route answers the most questions story-wise, and is probably the most solid when regarding the over-arching story.

Jin's route was the most comedic of the three, easily, and had me laughing throughout the entire thing.

Gardis' route is easily the best romance-wise. Gardis and Christina have the best chemistry and they also share the most beautiful kiss ever.

Not to mention his route is also the True Route

Art/Graphics:

This game is beautiful. The art is amazing. All of the CG's are very beautiful and breath-taking and truly accent a scene perfectly. The character designs are amazing and need I say it, but THE BISHIES ARE BEAUTIFUL! The Main Character is also very very attractive. I'm glad she wasn't some "run-of-the-mill" brown haired protagonist like the majority of Visual Novels. I'd prefer not to show any CG's as examples as they're all spoilerrific.

Music:

The BGMs for this game is above average I'd say, they're all very distinctive and interesting to listen to themselves. They all accentuate the mood of the scene, without hurting it, while still adding someone special to it at the same time.

The Opening is pretty good too.

Overall:

It's not the best Visual Novel I've never read, neither does it come very close, but it was still very fun to read. The Main Character is competent, the bishes and her are HOT HOT HOT, the art is amazing, the music is addictive and the story is relatively well-written. The sidequests are a bit lame, but I don't mind, I'm also very complacent when it comes to pleasing me, so maybe this VN isn't as good as I say it is, but I'd say give it a try anyways. You might like it! I know I did.

8/10

Normally I rate each route, but I liked them all equally, they were all very good.