Koenchu! problems: Opens but with errors and blank screen

So... I have a problem.

I have a copy of this game and I have had it for quite some time. I had it when my last computer was dying 6 months ago, actually.

I decided to open it up and finally play it just for the heck of it. That did not happen. Instead of the game starting up no problem, like it did on my old computer, it opens a blank screen with multiple windows beside it, including a blue box with an error message. Completely garbled as well, meaning the error text is in Japanese.

Now, I think a few things that should be mentioned are:

1) My old PC was Windows XP. This one is Windows 7.

2) My old PC was set to Japanese locale. I have not switched this one yet.

If anyone could offer me some help (or just say "it's the locale you idiot, change it" because I suspect that could be part of the problem) I would be happy. If screenshots are needed I will take some later as I don't have the game with me at the moment.

If it turns out to just be a locale problem than I'll put this to the side until I get off my lazy butt and change it. If it is a bigger error or an OS issue I think it would be good to note.