Does anyone else find this to be a lousy bit of plot writing for the game "Scarlet Nexus"?

As the tag prefix I attached to the thread title indicates, I'm about to drop a major spoiler for the game "Scarlet Nexus". If you read on, do not say I didn't warn you.

In the back story of the game Scarlet Nexus, not learned until you're several chapters in, it says that the earth's climate changed and became uninhabitable for human life, so humanity evacuated to the moon. This seems to be a rather weak excuse for why humans were living on the moon in the first place. If humanity could build livable environments on the moon, couldn't the same technology be used to build enclosed, inhabitable environments on the earth? That would spare you the effort of having to travel to the moon in the first place, and while the environment outside of an earth based shelter may have been hostile to human life, I doubt it would have been as immediately fatal as exposure to the vacuum of space would have been, allowing for increased chance of rescue in the event of a failure of the "space" suits used to travel outside of such environments and an easier time making emergency repairs of any breaches in the environmental walls of any towns/villages/cities/etc. while the residents retreated to emergency shelters. For that matter, the residents would likely have a better chance of retreating to an emergency shelter on earth than if walls failed and breathable atmosphere was replaced by vacuum of space out on the moons surface.

The story then goes on to explain it took them a thousand years of effort to repair the earth's climate. Several centuries worth of that effort was probably due to the distance they were removed from the earth. They could probably have shaved a significant portion of that time off if they were working from the earth in the first place.