Translation without scripts

Hypothetically speaking, you have a game that you're interested in translating. You know all the route specific info, and everything that needs translating. You're not a programmer though, and you can't rip the scripts to do your translation. Nor do you want to try, for fear of fucking up the VN's files.

So, you decide to write out the translation in a word document, exploring all possible routes and everything you need to in a very organized way.

When all is said and done, you have an organized bunch of word docs with every piece of translated dialogue in the VN. Only then are you smart enough to contact a programmer to see if he/she will hack the code and insert the text into the game for you, and create a patch. Assuming you kept the text as close as possible to the source material (i.e. all punctuation marks are kept in the appropriate places, so finding the correct matching dialogues should be fairly easy), do any of you think it is possible for a coder/programmer to be able to insert the text properly into the game, or is it pretty much a lost cause?

I know, it's probably a dumb scenario. Is it still doable? I have no idea what goes into translating VNs, myself, and every "how to" guide I've read starts with "find a programmer to rip the scripts for you".

Please keep in mind, it's only hypothetical.

Haha, thx shizzrig, I hope you're not taking the tayutama thing to heart though (sorry, onemanarmy, I guess the dream is dead lol). I hope this whole thing does work out for me though, and that I'll go on to translate a good many games and VNs. We'll see where this goes. I do have my cousin willing to help me out, and she knows a good bit of Japanese herself (goodbye, kanji problems).

Ryu, that's an excellent idea! I've tried to use Fraps before with kinda bad results (I've made many RPGMaker games that I would love to show off and get some more downloads for), but hopefully I'll get it to work eventually. I'm only 2% through my translation project right now though, as I just started it the other day, but things are going better than I could ever have expected. If things keep going this well, I'll announce what I've been doing for the weekly release thread. Until then though, it's probably better to keep it a secret.

Anyways, I'm feeling a bit more confident about the whole thing thanks to this thread, so thanks for the input, guys!

Youtube translations have disadvantages for the reader:

- because it's a video you have to live with slow text-speed

- no 18+ titles (or censorship, which is even worse)

My suggestion: If you are really willing to translate such a huge amount of text, you could do it in a cool way (eng-patch) right from the start.

Of course, this is just my selfish wish, so whatever you do good luck^^

sorry, onemanarmy, I guess the dream is dead lol

Awwwwww....

Youtube translations have disadvantages for the reader:

- because it's a video you have to live with slow text-speed

- no 18+ titles (or censorship, which is even worse)

My suggestion: If you are really willing to translate such a huge amount of text, you could do it in a cool way (eng-patch) right from the start.

Of course, this is just my selfish wish, so whatever you do good luck^^

I second this, I don't like youtube translations either. Also, it shouldn't be that hard to find a hacker after you announced your project...probably.

As long as you are writing down the Japanese script and the English translation that corresponds to it I don't see a problem with you finding and inserting the text into the proper script. It will probably come out to look something like what you will find here: Entrans

Once you find the Japanese text, you will then just need to match the English script, and then maybe getting a programmer (unless you are one) to make a patch for the whole process. I look forward to how things go for you.

Thx, strom. I think I'll take your advice and add the jap text right above the english text in my word docs. That way, if the programmer wants to do it himself, he has the option. And if not, it'll be much easier for me to keep track of my place.

It's funny you mention that, Illyriom. Initially I was going to do that instead, and release it on gamefaqs or something. I'll probably just keep that as a last resort, but you're right that it's better than nothing.

Thx, strom. I think I'll take your advice and add the jap text right above the english text in my word docs. That way, if the programmer wants to do it himself, he has the option. And if not, it'll be much easier for me to keep track of my place.

It's funny you mention that, Illyriom. Initially I was going to do that instead, and release it on gamefaqs or something. I'll probably just keep that as a last resort, but you're right that it's better than nothing.

No problem. The only reason I mentioned that is that if you do get the script taking out by the hacker, it will allow you to find and match up where the translated script goes. The whole scripts that the Japanese company use can be confusing as they jump around during the script, and also jump to scripts further down then what you would think. Like, I have the scripts from Boob Wars, the title MG is gonna release, because I am a tester. If you follow one route you would go something like script 1-4, but if you went another route you would go something like script 1, 2, 6-10. Knowing the Japanese text just makes it easier to find exactly where you are in the scripts as far as plugging in text.

Ah, I see. That's really good to know. My plan before was just to keep the punctuation as close as possible and hope that the scripts followed a sorta linear path (as hard as that would be for me to find it all, it'd probably have been impossible for a programmer to have found his way through). Consider my ass saved lol.

Anyways, just about done my playthrough, and then I'll be ready to really crack down on this thing. I have the prologue all finished, which was done as a test run. Now I'll go back and add the Japanese text in as well. Here's hoping the rest goes just as smoothly.