Hello there!

So... "The Void"... This is probably the most surreal game I've ever played. I haven't played it for long, but I simply must tell you about it. I was thinking that ErogeGames might appreciate a weird game like this, so there you go.

As a sidenote, I've played Sacrifice and Zeno Clash before. Both of those games are incredibly odd and yet great at the same time. If you've played and enjoyed those games before, then you should definately check The Void out.

The Void (video game) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Void - Buy and download on GamersGate - GamersGate is where I found out about it and one of the main reasons why I got the game. It's supercheap there right now, so check it out.

Now... DON'T watch other people play it or whatever. Don't do that. The less you know beforehand, the better. Why? Because having your mind blown from all the strange things and strange words is a great thing! Be brave and just buy it, since it's so cheap anyway. Then play it. Of course this is all assuming that you can enjoy a weird/surreal game. If you can't, then don't bother.

So what is "The Void"?

It's an action-adventure game. A really unique one. I don't really want to spoil the game mechanics, although GamersGate does that abit anyway. But here's some things of note:

• Great, surrealistic visuals. It's like being in a dream. An odd dream. It's beautiful and strange. One of the best things about The Void.

• The actual game and its mechanics... Oh boy. It has its faults I'm sure, but it's special. It's mind-boggling and weird, yet you can still play and understand it... Hopefully! Let's just randomly name a few things that appear in the game - Colour (ultimate resource), Sisters (naked friends and allies), Brothers (supposedly the creepy Big Bads of the game, haven't met one yet), Glyphs (drawing with Colour!), The Void (the surreal world), Predators (weird enemies of the game).

• Creepiness. This is really subjective I think, but for me, this game is so odd and weird that it's borderline scary. But that's a great thing!

• Artistic nudity. Well that's what most people would say anyway. In any case, nudity. Yea. Honestly now, how many "normal" games have nudity like that nowadays? Some, but not many. The Witcher 2 comes to mind.

Can't say much more, since I still need to play it more myself. Simply put, it's just a unique and beautiful game. Haven't seen anything like it before. The big draw though is the fact that it's cheap now. And hey, even if you don't want to pay for it, you should still try it. You know where and how.

You have to try this game. It's something else. Maybe you won't love it, but you gotta see it for yourself.

Edited by Harlequin

I know you said the less you know the better, but I couldn't help myself but look at the trailer. I just saw a naked chick stretching on a tree. I am now interested in this game. Besides that, it does look like a pretty unique game. I also thought this was pretty cool "When the game appeared on the largest Russian torrents.ru tracker, the developers talked to the downloaders in the thread, answered game related questions and encouraged them to buy the game, if they liked it." That makes me actually want to buy the game instead of pirate it.

I just saw a naked chick stretching on a tree. I am now interested in this game.

Is this by any chance the selling point of the game? Anyway, I also watched that trailer and the game sure looks interesting.

Edit : The game's bigger than 7GB? Ouch...

Edit 2 : There's also a 4,4 GB version but still, this not gonna happen with my internet.

Edited by OneManArmy
I know you said the less you know the better, but I couldn't help myself but look at the trailer. I just saw a naked chick stretching on a tree. I am now interested in this game. Besides that, it does look like a pretty unique game. I also thought this was pretty cool "When the game appeared on the largest Russian torrents.ru tracker, the developers talked to the downloaders in the thread, answered game related questions and encouraged them to buy the game, if they liked it." That makes me actually want to buy the game instead of pirate it.

Ah! That's fine too then! I'm glad you caught some interest desi. The trailer hopefully doesn't show too much. I haven't actually seen it myself so I wouldn't know.

And yes, it was a good move by the developers. You have to commend them for it. But not just that, the game itself too. HONESTLY, you won't find another game like this. That's why I want more people to see this. Tell me later about your first impressions, won't you?

I'm a bit skeptical about The Void when I found out that it was made by Ice-Pick Lodge Studio, the same studio who made a game called Pathologic. Pathologic is their first game and I've played it before. It seems like "weirdness" is this studio trademark since Pathologic also has weird and mysterious atmosphere in it, but unfortunately, the design, graphic and the gameplay of Pathologic is very problematic and VERY unbalanced that I've no choice but to stop playing.

However, since The Void was the studio second game and it was released three years after Pathologic, I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt and see whether they have improved.

I'm a bit skeptical about The Void when I found out that it was made by Ice-Pick Lodge Studio, the same studio who made a game called Pathologic. Pathologic is their first game and I've played it before. It seems like "weirdness" is this studio trademark since Pathologic also has weird and mysterious atmosphere in it, but unfortunately, the design, graphic and the gameplay of Pathologic is very problematic and VERY unbalanced that I've no choice but to stop playing.

However, since The Void was the studio second game and it was released three years after Pathologic, I'm willing to give this game the benefit of the doubt and see whether they have improved.

Well I read that this one had some balance issues too. At first it was too easy, then a patch came and made it way too hard, then yet another patch came along and now it's... good, I think. Pretty sure that's what I read. The English version has the latest patch automatically. It really is a bizarre game, with really weird dialogue. But that's why it's worth a try. Also, the graphics certainly aren't problematic in The Void. It's very beautiful actually. The overall game design I haven't seen any faults with - yet. But there might be some possibly. What I'm getting from it so far is that it might still be quite a hard game. Colour is scarce. It doesn't seem to be at first, but it is. And you need alot of it.

Actually, one thing that needs to be said when talking about its potential difficulty, is this: The game is on a timer. Or that's what I've read anyway. To be fair, the Sisters in the game hints towards that in a cryptic way aswell. You don't have an unlimited amount of time to do what needs to be done. That gives the game a sense of urgency, for good or bad.

Are you talking about the void? If yes then fuck this shit. I'm that kind of player who explores every tiny piece of map, I don't need something like a timer. =\

Hah, yea, know what you mean there. Yes I do think you've got a certain amount of time before you "lose", unfortunately. Can't say for sure though. It seems to be abit dynamic. The Void (world) produces colour (resource) in cycles. What kind of colour and how much it produces is randomised. However, The Void is slowly dying, or something like that, so it's starting to lose its ability to produce colour. And since colour is the resource for everything in the game... Well...

To tell you the truth though, I'm not completely sure yet what the *ultimate* goal is. "Free" all the sisters? Kill all the brothers? The game is very vague, but it might be that I'm just too stupid to understand it all. Perhaps it has several endings. I just got access to Uta's chambers, so that must be some progress. As a result of that I also got access to Mantis's (brother) chamber, but I can't do anything with it yet.

This reminds me of how I lost in Pathlogic....I've played for like 26 hours and suddenly then my MC died because of a weird disease (I failed to find a cure on a certain amount of time) and it's game over. Reloading a safe can't even salvage the fucking situation. The dev idea is to force the player (me) to play the game from the scratch once they got game over. XP

I hope their doing it right this time.

Well I found an unofficial little patch that makes it abit easier. It was posted on a FAQ. If anyone here is actually gonna play the game, you might want to get it: • View topic - 'Easy' Patch

Since such a patch even exists, and according to that thread, yes it does seem like this game is also still hard. Too hard perhaps. I'm gonna use the patch. Moving around the map quicker is very good.