Suggestions for next eroges

I have already played these eroges:

A profile (good), Amorous Professor Cherry (so-so), Canvas 2 (loved it), Conquering the Queen (meh), Cosplay Fetish Academy (so-so), Crescendo (Ok), Da Capo 1 and 2 (Ok), Deardrops (loved it), Edelweiss (so-so), Family Project (good), Figures of Happiness (hated it), Flyable Heart (good), Gibo (so-so), Harem Party (good), Heart de Roomate (hated it), Hinata Bokko (Ok), Hoshizora No Memoria (Ok), I'm gonna nurse/serve you 1-2-4 (meh), Idols Galore (Ok), Jewel Knights Crusaders (meh), Kanon (unfinished, hated it), Katawa Shoujo (good except for one route I hated and left unfinished), Kira Kira plus fandisc (great), Let's Meow Meow (so-so), Magical Teacher (good), Mother Daughter Lesson (good), My Girlfriend is the President (loved it), Period (loved it), Quartett (good), Sharin No Kuni with fandisk (good), Shera My Witch (so-so), Shuffle (Ok), Snow Sakura (loved it), Sagara Family (Ok), To Heart 2 (translated routes; good), Tokimeki Check-in (good), Tottemo Pheromone (loved it), True Love (Ok), Tsuki (meh), Wind a Breath of Heart (good), X-Change 1-3 (loved them), Yin-Yang X-Change Alternative (loved it), Yume Miru Kusuri (good).

As you may surmise, I definitely like optimistic school life comedy, slice of life, and nukige with comedy harems, sex-change, or incest stories. I hate utsuge, horror, thriller, gore, and nakige with excessive amounts of drama or unavoidable downer/bittersweet endings. Fantasy, action, and sci-fi are acceptable but not games with RPG elements (I suck at them) and torture/humiliation nukiges ("lose and you are raped/corrupted" games with mahou shoujo or other kinds of fighting female protagonists are quite liked, however). I fancy tsundere, imouto/cousin, childhood friend, genki, nerdy, and sport heroines, I hate silent, super-shy, and emotionless heroines.

Which (partially) translated games would you suggest me to play next, and in which priority, given my tastes, and extent/expected availability of (full) translation ? I'm considering Dracu-Riot, Fortune Arterial, Hinomaru, and Maijkoi, perhaps Guilty and Symphonic Rain too (I'm not really fond of chaste romance, but I can play it if the story is really really good), but I'm quite uncertain on order. Also Harukoi Otome as soon as it gets available. Among nukiges, I'm considering Sexy Demon Transformation, and I'm eagerly expecting the next Yin-Yang X-Change game (I may find AGTH an acceptable stopgap for nukige I really like, but not for story-driven VN, which I only play translated). School Days and Little Busters I fear may be too drama-heavy and pessimistic for my tastes.

Edited by Wanderer
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just from your tastes, I think you'll probably enjoy Majikoi very much. School life comedy + slice of life without a lot of drama. Even based on your tastes, I would still give Clannad a shot. Clannad is actually one of the funniest VNs I have ever read. The Tomoya + Sunohara interactions are just hilarious. It does dive into drama later in the individual routes but I would still recommend trying it. You might also like Fortune Arterial, but as one of the Qcers of the project, I literally have no idea when translations will be done. The translator is very busy at the moment.. but there are partial patches out that translates the common route + 2 regular routes.

Oh yeah, just curious.. which route ended up making you rage quit Katawa Shoujo?

Edited by desi

Oh yeah, just curious.. which route ended up making you rage quit Katawa Shoujo?

I just left Rin route unfinished. I found very little appealing in the character, same as the emotionally dead girl of Heart de Roommate (whose route I very barely finished, IIRC it was necessary to unlock the true ending). I finished all the other routes and actually was very fond of Lilly and Emi, Shizune to a slighly lesser degree. Hanako kinda tiresome, but (barely) acceptable. Good game, I simply can't stand routes where you are expected to befriend and worse romance a wall or the bloody Sybil.

Edited by Wanderer
You might also like Fortune Arterial, but as one of the Qcers of the project, I literally have no idea when translations will be done. The translator is very busy at the moment.. but there are partial patches out that translates the common route + 2 regular routes.

Well, from what I surmised all of Dracu-Riot, Fortune Arterial, Hinomaru, and Majikoi have been translated enough to make a partial play worthwhile in my eyes (at least a common route of decent length). I read Fortune Arterial's common route branches relatively late. Too bad the route of the heroine I might quite possibly like the most, according to her role and personality (Erika) shall be translated last. Oh well, at least Kanade is already available, she might just be my second best. As I see it, the translations of Dracu-Riot and Hinomaru may easily be even slower than FA.

Well, from what I surmised all of Dracu-Riot, Fortune Arterial, Hinomaru, and Majikoi have been translated enough to make a partial play worthwhile in my eyes (at least a common route of decent length). I read Fortune Arterial's common route branches relatively late. Too bad the route of the heroine I might quite possibly like the most, according to her role and personality (Erika) shall be translated last. Oh well, at least Kanade is already available, she might just be my second best. As I see it, the translations of Dracu-Riot and Hinomaru may easily be even slower than FA.

Yeah, the way the routes work regarding Fortune Arterial is that there are 2 Erika routes. One "regular" Erika route and one true route after finishing all other routes. The true route will probably be translated last of course, but the regular Erika route will be done before then... again, no idea when though :S Majikoi has 4 regular routes + a side route translated and it seems like you said you don't mind partial translations at all. Only thing left to finish translating the Miyako Route + true route + other side routes.... again, translator seems very busy.

Yeah, the way the routes work regarding Fortune Arterial is that there are 2 Erika routes. One "regular" Erika route and one true route after finishing all other routes. The true route will probably be translated last of course, but the regular Erika route will be done before then... again, no idea when though :S Majikoi has 4 regular routes + a side route translated and it seems like you said you don't mind partial translations at all. Only thing left to finish translating the Miyako Route + true route + other side routes.... again, translator seems very busy.

I don't mind partial translations IF they already give me a sizable, worthwhile amount of play-time: i.e. a common route of decent length and/or a few of my preferred heroine types' routes.

I don't mind partial translations IF they already give me a sizable, worthwhile amount of play-time: i.e. a common route of decent length and/or a few of my preferred heroine types' routes.

Okay, Majikoi it is. The common route + those 4 routes excluding Miyako is translated. That's probably at least 60% of the game. Oh yeah, check out Shield 9. I don't really play partial translations, but that one looks pretty funny (two of the routes are translated).

Gee, that's alot of VNs you got there. Well the ones desi mentioned are probably the best choices despite partial translation... And maybe G-senjou aswell, yes, since you did read Sharin anyway. Though G-senjou isn't exactly lighthearted.

... Anyway, here's some more titles I could think of! I can't speak for how good some of them are - they're just some titles that came to mind.

Koihime Musou - This could be very good for you despite the gameplay. The gameplay is basically not even worth mentioning - it's very, very easy turn-based "strategy" and that's all there is to it. There's alot of comedy in the story, it looks and sounds good, and... Yes, it's not bad at all. It's not school life comedy, no. But it's lighthearted fantasy comedy. I recommend it.

Dengeki Stryker - Made by the same people who made Deardrops and whatnot. Might be something. Doesn't seem to be that seriousface. I couldn't say for sure though, haven't read it.

Downhill Night and Downhill Night 2 - You might very well like these. Atleast the second one. Note: they don't actually have gameplay, the "racing game" is just choices you get during a race. Sure they're timed but it's still just choices.

We Love Master - A nukige. It's not on your list and... Well that's pretty much it. Comedy harem of some sort.

Kotori Love Ex P - You didn't mention this and it's Da Capo related, so...

Edited by Harlequin
Koihime Musou The gameplay is basically not even worth mentioning - it's very, very easy turn-based "strategy" and that's all there is to it.

There's more actually. The battle system is really easy but the downside is that it will drag on for half an hour or more due to the turn-based system, and worsened when the general start spamming their special power. The most important thing is that there's no way to save the game in the middle of the long and boring battle. If you want to continue with the story, then you must finish the fight.

However, if you do want to try this VN, then I'll suggest that you do Ren, Sei, Shia, and Karin's route only. They might be a side heroine, but their routes is very awesome, especially Karin-sama. XD Oh, this is the only reason why I kept going despite the sleep inducing gameplay. Ohh~~Shuran....

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf
There's more actually. The battle system is really easy but the downside is that it will drag on for half an hour or more due to the turn-based system, and worsened when the general start spamming their special power. The most important thing is that there's no way to save the game in the middle of the long and boring battle. If you want to continue with the story, then you must finish the fight.

However, if you do want to try this VN, then I'll suggest that you do Ren, Sei, Shia, and Karin's route only. They might be a side heroine, but their routes is very awesome, especially Karin-sama. XD Oh, this is the only reason why I kept going despite the sleep inducing gameplay. Ohh~~Shuran....

That is true unfortunately... The battles drag on abit. But it's OK. It would be nice if it was possible to turn off the special power animations and whatnot. If desperate, one could always use Cheat Engine to speed up the game. Oh yes. I tried it with Sengoku Rance - it works well. Easy to turn on and off.

Since you liked Sharin No Kuni, you might like G-senjou no Maou made by the same developers. What about vn's by Type-moon like Fate Stay Night or Tsukihime?

G-senjou no Maou I might well get, if it isn't any darker than Sharin no Kuni, even if subject is not my preferred cup of tea. Tsukihime I had considered, but then I read it has a downer ending in one of its main routes, which is a big no-no for me. Fate Stay Night I got, but for one reason or another I can't remember well I deemed it low in my playing priority scale.

Oh yeah, check out Shield 9. I don't really play partial translations, but that one looks pretty funny (two of the routes are translated).

Shield 9 seems kinda interesting, but it isn't available on this site, right ? So I'd have to seek for a torrent with good health and the english patch.

G-senjou no Maou I might well get, if it isn't any darker than Sharin no Kuni, even if subject is not my preferred cup of tea.

It's a bit darker, but you should still check it out since you played Sharin no Kuni and A Profile, made by the same developer. The true route is fantastic.

Shield 9 seems kinda interesting, but it isn't available on this site, right ? So I'd have to seek for a torrent with good health and the english patch.

I got mine from direct download links a while back. Some various direct download links. Quickly searched for a torrent and couldn't find a well seeded one. Here is the english patch. Translates the prologue, Common route, Yukino route, and Ren route.

Gee, that's alot of VNs you got there. Well the ones desi mentioned are probably the best choices despite partial translation... And maybe G-senjou aswell, yes, since you did read Sharin anyway. Though G-senjou isn't exactly lighthearted.

I'm an avid reader/watcher of many types of geek fiction, including VN since I discovered the wonderful world of translated eroge a year ago or so.

Sharin's subject was quite original, which helped me tolerate the fact it was not any really lighthearted, and the sister route (which I deem the true one for this reason) provides a good opportunity to overthrow the oppressive political system of the Wheel Country, and so yields a true optimistic ending. An upbeat ending may help me tolerate otherwise overbearing amounts of drama. Having said that, at the moment I feel no potential urge to replay Sharin in the foreseeable future, the way I could with say Canvas 2 or Snow Sakura. How is G-senjou in this regard ?

Koihime Musou - This could be very good for you despite the gameplay. The gameplay is basically not even worth mentioning - it's very, very easy turn-based "strategy" and that's all there is to it. There's alot of comedy in the story, it looks and sounds good, and... Yes, it's not bad at all. It's not school life comedy, no. But it's lighthearted fantasy comedy. I recommend it.

Well, recently I was forced to ragequit a Japanese fantasy rape nukige I otherwise fancied a lot (Monsters Survive) one-third of the way b/c it had a lot of unavoidable RPG combat and I was wholly unable to defeat the second boss monster (and having the only available hints in mangled Google/Systran translation didn't help. Such may be good enough for identifying and understanding the choices in Japanese walkthroughs, not for complex strategy hints). This has soured me even more against mixing pure choice-based VNs with gameplay.

Dengeki Stryker - Made by the same people who made Deardrops and whatnot. Might be something. Doesn't seem to be that seriousface. I couldn't say for sure though, haven't read it.

Got it, I'm gonna play it sooner or later. Just not sure if it's my preferred genre or not. By the way, I dearly wish someone would translate the Deardrops/Kira Kira crossover fandisc, I loved both games a lot.

Downhill Night and Downhill Night 2 - You might very well like these. Atleast the second one. Note: they don't actually have gameplay, the "racing game" is just choices you get during a race. Sure they're timed but it's still just choices.

Well, if they are just choices, this is most reassuring. I had ignored those games precisely for the gameplay issue.

We Love Master - A nukige. It's not on your list and... Well that's pretty much it. Comedy harem of some sort.

Well, it's an harem nukige but for what I can tell of the kind I find more than a bit boring. The "master" role doesn't really appeal to me and the girls are already available on a plate, no courting necessary and no management complication of the kind you face in Harem Party or Shuffle. I got the impression it was kinda similar to Pick Me Honey, which I started and never got far out of sheer boredom. So I wasn't thrilled for We Love Master. If you tell me the comedy element is really good, then I may reconsider my opinion about it. Otherwise, I might download it sooner or later for completist reasons.

Kotori Love Ex P - You didn't mention this and it's Da Capo related, so...

I have it. Never bothered to play it so far, perhaps b/c I learnt it includes the additional heroines of Plus Communication, but your are locked in the Kotori storyline and cannot play the routes of the new heroines. From what I know, DCPC won't be translated in the foreseeable future, which makes it much more frustrating than your usual partially translated eroge. With a bit of luck, the uncomplete state of say Fortune Arterial or Maijkoi is a matter of time and patience, as it happened with Period. Nonetheless, I might play it sooner or later for completist reasons. Amusingly, I seem to remember I liked Kotori, but I can't remember who was my preferred Da Capo heroine, unlike other eroges I played. But it has been a good while since I played that series. Anyway, I liked the game, but there are other eroges I loved more.

Edited by Wanderer

Honestly, this doesn't seem any appealing to me, even if I get it may have very good routes. I shall have to give more thought on the issue. I might get it for completist reasons anyway, but probably I won't play it any soon.

Sharin's subject was quite original, which helped me tolerate the fact it was not any really lighthearted, and the sister route (which I deem the true one for this reason) provides a good opportunity to overthrow the oppressive political system of the Wheel Country, and so yields a true optimistic ending. An upbeat ending may help me tolerate otherwise overbearing amounts of drama. Having said that, at the moment I feel no potential urge to replay Sharin in the foreseeable future, the way I could with say Canvas 2 or Snow Sakura. How is G-senjou in this regard ?

Hmm... It will no doubt differ from person to person how they look at it. But here's what I think: it has the same kind of feelings as Sharin, yet it's still definately darker as desi said, overall. You remember Houzuki from Sharin? You remember what kind of aura he emanated? THAT kind of darkness is all over the place in G-senjou. Highly intelligent and enigmatic humans. Oh yes. There's more of them in G-senjou than Sharin.

But does the VN contain any happiness? Yes. There's alot of despair, but "good" wins in the end. It has some innocence and humour sprinkled around here and there. It's not "dark action thriller mystery" all of the time. The characters can be very funny and endearing at times. In any case, it's a well-written VN. I agree though that Sharin had something quite original to it. G-senjou is more realistic I think.

Well, it's an harem nukige but for what I can tell of the kind I find more than a bit boring. The "master" role doesn't really appeal to me and the girls are already available on a plate, no courting necessary and no management complication of the kind you face in Harem Party or Shuffle. I got the impression it was kinda similar to Pick Me Honey, which I started and never got far out of sheer boredom. So I wasn't thrilled for We Love Master. If you tell me the comedy element is really good, then I may reconsider my opinion about it. Otherwise, I might download it sooner or later for completist reasons.

Well, maybe it's not worth it then. I don't know how funny it is anyway. Never read it, just knew that it existed and that it's a nukige. Someone else could probably chime in on that.

Ok, given the feedback in this thread so far, I've decided to go and get Shield 9, G-senjo no Maou, Koihime Mousu, We Love Master, and Downhill Night 1 and 2. Gotta take me a while to download all of that (in addition to the other scheduled non-eroge stuff). In the meanwhile, I've been playing Sexy Demon Transformation. Quite a nice little nukige, even if the protagonist is horribly oblivious about love, and the demon possession idea is interesting. After that, Fortune Arterial and Majikoi (gotta toss a coin to tell which I play first).

even if the protagonist is horribly oblivious about love

Actually, nearly all protagonist are oblivious to love, especially when we're talking about slice of life stuff. It's usually like this...

"Wanderer, I love you."

"What? You love me?"

"Yeah. I loved you the whole time."

"Seriously? I never realized that."

"Are you stupid? Why should I eat with you every fuckin day? Why would I try to help you in every god damn situation even if it's a huge pain in the ass? Why should I try to be alone with you? Why would my behaviour change in your near?! And why the hell would I blush when talking to you?"

"Eh, because we're friends?"

"OH SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"

Almost identical preferences as mine, that's pretty cool :D Is Period really worth trying out?

Just curious, have you ever thought about using machine translators? I am well aware the end result may be far from perfect but I am growing really impatient hoping/waiting for certain novels to be translated, like DCIIPC (Akane :o) or White Album 2. So I will definitely give it a shot in a few weeks when my exams end even though I have no clue how it's done yet. ;)

"Wanderer, I love you."

"What? You love me?"

"Yeah. I loved you the whole time."

"Seriously? I never realized that."

"Are you stupid? Why should I eat with you every fuckin day? Why would I try to help you in every god damn situation even if it's a huge pain in the ass? Why should I try to be alone with you? Why would my behaviour change in your near?! And why the hell would I blush when talking to you?"

"Eh, because we're friends?"

"OH SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!"

A true story.

Protag of Cross Channel and G-senjou no maou are good though.They are not oblivious.

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica(anime) has the best protagonist ever.Strong,smart,non-perverted and non-shy.He is like a BOSS.:cool:

Just curious, have you ever thought about using machine translators?

Machine translators efficiency depends on the VN.Some VNs may get more efficient translations than others because of their scripts format.

If you understand Japanese voice ,then using translators plus voice can understand 80 % of the story which is very good .

Almost identical preferences as mine, that's pretty cool :D Is Period really worth trying out?

Unless you have issues with the Littlewitch aesthetics (i.e. all women are more flat than the Russian steppes or the American Great Plains), definitely yes. Good, pleasant story. The right amount of comedy and non-oppressive drama, pleasant endings. Just be mindful to check and apply a manual correction when you install the English patch, since in my system, it did use a wrong default installation path (it apparently created a duplicate of the correct destination folder within it; not so easy to notice with the Japanese name of the folder) and so aborted the installation.

Just curious, have you ever thought about using machine translators? I am well aware the end result may be far from perfect but I am growing really impatient hoping/waiting for certain novels to be translated, like DCIIPC (Akane :o) or White Album 2. So I will definitely give it a shot in a few weeks when my exams end even though I have no clue how it's done yet. ;)

Well, I have some experience using AGTH (I still have to try ITH). It's inevitable since nukiges that focus on my preferred fetishes are largely or almost entirely not translated. In my experience, they may be useful to understand the general meaning of what is happening, but not much better. So bearable to play a nukige, but not good enough to play untranslated story-driven VNs from the start. Too many character-defining dialogue nuances may get lost. At a stretch, one might use them to finish untranslated routes in partially-translated eroges, however. Once character has been established in the English common route, loss of precision may be more bearable. At least, this is my experience with AGTH. I dunno yet if ITH is more efficient.

Edited by Wanderer