Sharin No Kuni Himawari No Shoujo Review By Link

Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo

Hello it’s Link and this time it’s a review of Akabei soft 2’s Sharin no Kuni Himawari no Shoujo. This game is set within an undisclosed country which has had a war with a southern continent. This game is very plot driven and emotional in areas, got to admit that the story really got me.

Cover.jpg

"I shut my eyes in order to see."

Plot summary

You are Morita Kenichi, a candidate in the Special High Class Individual exam (I’ll just abbreviate to SHCI, less of a mouthful) you are classed as an overall super human in both name and deed. For the final portion of the examination Kenichi returns to the town in which he was raised, upon which he is reintroduced to three of his friends before he left the town, each now bearing an ‘obligation’ as a result of the civil conflict with the government that went on in the past. The final portion of the exam has Kenichi having to ‘rehabilitate’ these three people, will Kenichi be able to finish his exam and be able to hold the title of SHCI or will his long lost past finally catch up with him.

Character Bios

Morita Kenichi

Kenichi.jpg

This is you, the protagonist of this game, you are classed as being a super human due to the things that you have achieved in your life thus far, ranging from being the head of a successful business corporation to fighting within the war in the southern continent, returning from which with a ‘infirmity’ of the mind. He is a relatively kind person who will help those in need and is the sort of person who will do all that he can for his friends. However he is hiding a past that he’d rather forget, back in the days when his name was not Morita Kenichi.

Natsumi Hinata

Natsumi.jpg

Natsumi is the main heroine of this game, a girl who bares the obligation of ‘Prohibited from Falling in Love’ which is considered as being one of the more serious obligations of society, the obligation meaning that she is forbidden from touching any members of the opposite gender, be it by accident or on purpose. However she does not seem to be inconvenienced by this on account of her introverted personality; however she is hiding a past and a love of a boy who once lived in this town long ago during the civil uprising.

Sachi Mitsuhiro

Sachi.jpg

Sachi is another girl that Kenichi has to ‘rehabilitate’ as part of the examination and she is the person who initially offers him a place to live when he proposed sleeping outside during the examination period. Sachi is a rather bubbly character and seems to be full of life and is one of Kenichi’s first friends when he comes into the town. She has adopted a little orphan girl from the Southern continent which she calls Mana. The obligation that Sachi bears is to have a ’12 Hour Day’ the purpose of this obligation is to teach the importance of time to those who initially squandered it however like Natsumi she does not see this in anyway as a burden, rather she simply adapted to this lifestyle. She seems to have been a famous painter as a child but something occurred which lead to her refusing to paint since that day.

Touka Oone

Touka.jpg

Touka is the class president of the school that Kenichi has to attend despite having already completed his education. She seems to hold a clear disdain for Kenichi and his attitude and often acts violently towards him. She is a clumsy person and is prone to making careless little mistakes which can become huge. Touka bears the Obligation of ‘Prohibited from Becoming an Adult’ meaning that she must obey her mother’s orders without question and because of this she has a rather strained relationship with her mother Kyouko. She still however seeks to find small ways to rebel against her mother.

Sepia Uzuki

Uzuki.jpg

He is a student in Kenichi’s class who shows clear disdain for him due to being a ‘Dog of the nation’ and he is fanatical devotee to Higuchi Saburou, the leader of the civil uprising which occurred in the town in the past. He claims that he is an author and that he can talk to fairies and he often speaks about really bizarre subjects, the majority of the time which cause him to incur Touka’s wrath. He also seems to have a crush on Touka’s mother Kyouko.

Masaomi Houzuki

Houzuki.jpg

Houzuki is the SHCI that is supervising Kenichi’s examination and is like a sort of surrogate father to Kenichi. He is lame in one leg due to an injury that he claims to have received fighting in a war. Because of this he is never seen without his signature cane. He is classed as an intimidating individual, even by Kenichi who fought in a war. He is relentlessly dedicated to society and its advancement and so he is not above manipulating people for what he believes to be for what is the most favourable result for the future of the country. He took the SHCI examination alongside Higuchi Saburou who would one day become the famous revolutionary in the civil uprising of the past and is the one who killed him and ended the uprising.

Ratings

Music

The music of Sharin No Kuni was relatively good; they seemed to have the right sort of music for the present situation and used the music to increase the tension of it. Therefore I would give the music a 9/10

Characters

In my opinion I believe that the characters of Sharin No Kuni are really well developed and the backstory of the heroines have been properly developed to give it a good sense of emotional depth. So I would give the characters of Sharin No Kuni a 10/10

Story/Plot

The story of Sharin No Kuni was relatively well done in my opinion, it was developed to the right degree that the characters were amply fleshed out but not to the degree that it got annoying and tedious. The story was a bit jumpy in regards to how quickly things could go south but it was exciting and they did it in such a way that it did not feel in any way out of place. I would seriously recommend this as a game for first time Eroge players as it has a compelling story and decent CG’s, both of H and non H. Therefore I will give the story of Sharin No Kuni a 10/10

Conclusion

So in conclusion I found Sharin No Kuni Himawari No Shoujo to be an incredibly wonderful game with a compelling story and wonderfully developed and fleshed out characters. I believe this game has definite replay value and it is something worth doing to 100% completion even if it’s just to look at the CG’s fondly when you are finished remembering the fun that you had while playing the game. Once again I highly recommend this game to anyone who has not yet played it, you are seriously missing out on an absolutely Grade A game. Therefore I would give Sharin No Kuni a 10/10 overall just on account of what it’s done in regards to the story and the characters

Natsumika.. Wakamoto.. Kenichi as my favorite protag ever.. this is one badass VN for sure. Good review. I also want to mention (not sure if you did play it or not) that you should DEFINITELY play the Sharin no Kuni fandisc. Just play the Houzuki route though. It's definitely something you HAVE to play after you finish Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo.

A short review, but nevertheless a decent one. I have to ask one thing, which kept me from giving it a higher score. It's about the game's structure -

What did you think about the way the game was structured? By that I mean how you had to go through the whole game again with each heroine. Most VNs make you do that so it's nothing out of the ordinary. However, I had an issue with it since it kinda showed too much from the other "routes" and it really sucked to not be on Natsumi's route the first time around. The devs noticed that problem and it was solved with G-senjou later on.

A short review, but nevertheless a decent one. I have to ask one thing, which kept me from giving it a higher score. It's about the game's structure -

What did you think about the way the game was structured? By that I mean how you had to go through the whole game again with each heroine. Most VNs make you do that so it's nothing out of the ordinary. However, I had an issue with it since it kinda showed too much from the other "routes" and it really sucked to not be on Natsumi's route the first time around. The devs noticed that problem and it was solved with G-senjou later on.

I honestly thought it was a rather unusual structure due to the fact you start off initially with one heroine only to get kinda kicked off the route and on to another girl's route, and yeah I did hate how you had to go through the game again to get each heroine, but you also have the saves, some of the choices at times did literally scream at me "Pick Me To Get On Her Route!!" but also just save every opportunity you get, also just skip your read text, it's what I do, so you don't end up reading the same thing, over and over again. But all in all despite some of the structural issues I will loved the game and always will.

Natsumika.. Wakamoto.. Kenichi as my favorite protag ever.. this is one badass VN for sure. Good review. I also want to mention (not sure if you did play it or not) that you should DEFINITELY play the Sharin no Kuni fandisc. Just play the Houzuki route though. It's definitely something you HAVE to play after you finish Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo.

Desi no worries, I played the fandisk straight after this, absolutely class game and I plan on doing a review on it if I am able to, only explaining the bare minimum, letting people have the fun that I did the first time round, it is still one of those ones that get me alot