File .exe cannot be opened?!?

Ok, a bit weird problem. When in japanese locale, almost all vn i have give me a "File .../folder_location/game.exe cannot be opened" error (but in japanese - i managed to translate it via dictionary) with title of the error: the name of the exe. The vns are Captive Market, Taimanin Asagi(1,2,CA), Prison Battleship. And there is abnormally working(old saves are not loaded, and there cant be new saves, but otherwise ok) Bible black. All of these work normally in my local setting(run normally(BB,TA(2,CA)) or show the usual blue japanese error screen(PBS,CM,TA(1)). I'm runing Win XP Pro SP3. I had Japanese locale installed from before, but back then everything was ok, except bible black - even then it was having this abnormal behavior. But i was forced to switch to my local language and now when i returned it was like this - errors. I recopyed the japanese locale pack - so i can't say its from it. Can anyone help me with this? There must be a reason bible black to be running "normally" and the other not

Well, I really don't recommend using jap locale. Uninstall it, change your region language to Japanese manually under control panel--->clock, language and region--->region--->administrative tab--->change system locale--->select Japanese(japan).

once you do this reboot your PC and try running the games you've had problems with.

Hope this helps you :3

Well, I really don't understand the difference between japanese locale and to change my locale to japanese, sorry for the misunderstanding. But in any case that's exactly what i'm doing. I already tried to fix it by making it "reinstall" itself by copying all it needed anew, still didn't work. And i really cant figure out why only BB works normaly.

Edited by scourge213

Download Microsoft AppLocale Utility from Official Microsoft Download Centre

Download it, install and start it and then drag the game exe on top of that first window where it asks about a file, in the second window where you choose a locale choose the most bottom one if it's not already detect and pre-selected.

Then create a shortcut to the exe and in the future start the game via that shortcut.

Depending on the game it might either require Japanese locale either via this program or set from the control panel as per above or it might work but there's usually some text display issues.

(It varies from game to game, some don't start at all, others start fine but display broken text and some work just fine.)

Has worked on everything so far, program is also compatible with anything after Windows XP though W7 already has a pretty good system localization setting by default. :)

(But I prefer this program to setting the OS locale since that also messes up various letters and other characters / and \ for example and yeah it's pretty minor but I'm still bothered by it. :p )

Well as i wrote in my original post Taimanin Asagi (2 and Chaos Arena) also work without japanese locale, but when with japanese locale they also don't work. It makes no sense for me, i hoped it would for someone here.

this would be impossible because it work in jap locale for me and crashed with blue screen in other locale..

unless..you going to give some prove that it failed in jap locale..

btw..all VNs were programed to run for japanese pc only..therefore we got to change the settings to jap locale

but..official localized VN have those feature removed thus you can run it in any other locale..

oh..1 thing you should remember..

running VNs that was released for newer window OS will fucked up your pc..but you wont encounter those kind of problem yet (not sure bout grisaia)

but...running via APPLOCALE will be the worst thing you can try in your life..

its a total fucked up shit that'll crash your game..(works for some older VN but give you hell most of time)

plus..there's been reported tons of error came due to APPLOCALE interference

Edited by ultimecea

Givving you a proof of what i said: proof 2.jpgproof 1.jpg

As for AppLocale i tried it, but its a mere emulator that works through the japanese locale already installed on my pc - i.e. doesn't work with it. Actually it gives me the very same result as if i'm with japanese locale - BB works, all other say "file .exe cannot be opened" in japanese.

I don't know what the problem is, but all the games i've listed were working, before i changed back to my local language locale, few months ago, so i doubt they damaged my pc in any way.

I'm starting to get really annoyed why is this happening, and how come noone else encountered it before.... But cant be helped, i hope someone appears.

Edited by scourge213

Actually no, i've changed the /?????/ directory to normal english letters, no success. Also tried with the rest of the folders, still nothing. But that remimded me of the old XP problem that if a file is too "far" in folders(folder in folder in folder...) it bugs up. I've encountered it only once long time ago(5-6 years+) an i totally forgot about it. I moved the whole games folder it back to the base of the drive( for TA2 that would look like: "D:\Games\Asagi\Asagi 2\TaimaninAsagi2\") and VOALA - all of them started working again. I would had never guessed that it might be this if it wasn't for your help. Thanks A LOT ultimecea. And also thanks to everyone who tried to help me out. Finally 3 days later I've found a fix for this. Still doesn't explain why they worked before... but who cares? :D

Again thanks ultimecea.

Edited by scourge213