Potential New Translator Looking To Get Started

Greeting all!

Looooooooong time eroge fan here. I remember playing True Love and Paradise Heights back when they first hit the US. They got me hooked and I never looked back.

I work in IT for a Japanese company, primarily fixing things for the English-challenged Japanese guys when the need arises. I speak Japanese and read at about the 4th grade level, but my IT background isn't in hacking compiled code, creating a patch and everything that goes into translating an eroge outside of the actual translation. Are there resources online I can use to learn what the hell I'm doing in this area to see if translating and creating patches is something I'd want to do?

I dabbed a little bit in messing around with a completed game a couple years ago. I fixed up a lot of the bullshit that was wrong with Phantasy Star 2 1/2 Fallen Planet, gave it a bitching soundtrack and uploaded it on the PS Cave forum in the fangames section. I'm assuming fixing a game made in RPG Maker will be easier than this, but at least it's a completed project, right? :D

My suggestion is to download the KiriKiri2 tools from Ivan's link and look for VNs that use that engine. Quite a lot of VNs use it (especially the shorter/low budget ones) so it's not really hard to find something you'd like to pick up. If the VN has some .xp3 files, it's using KiriKiri2. I'm suggesting this because you don't need to know anything about hacking or whatever. All you need to do is (roughly) 1. Extract the scripts from the .xp3 file, 2. Translate the stuff, 3. pack the files you translated into patch.xp3 and copy into the game folder. There are some more in-depth guides out there, but this engine is really easy to work with.

Edited by killerinsidee

Thanks for the advice. That gets me looking in the right direction.

I was actually thinking of taking a stab at X-Change R. Judging from the original X-Change it shouldn't be too long and I'm already familiar with the story so it should go a lot faster than going into a game cold. Plus I've been curious about what was added/changed, so that will serve as an incentive to get it done.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a working download link or seeded torrent? It's for a good cause. :D