Is the Higurashi anime any good?

Damn General talk section moves slow...

Higurashi novel was beyond good, i'm so glad i read it (

Now... is the anime any good?, would it break in 1003 pieces my perfect memories of the vn?, does it contains forced story to make it an anime?, does it contains Miyo in her sexy nurse outfit? (that last option would make it a must-watch instantly).

Also, i noticed there are a few Higurashi this and Higurashi that in vndb, is there something relevant there or is just fan made crap?, is there actually a proper sequel to the game? (by proper i mean good, not like MLA Total eclipse, dear god i wish i could unsee).

Now... is the anime any good?

It's a good anime on its own, but since you've read the VN you'll find some faults with it (naturally). Some parts are better than others. The animation in the first season ain't exactly great - it's better in the second season. First season covers 6 arcs in only 26 episodes, which is also pretty bad. Music is good but definitely not as good as the soundtrack in the Kai VN. Since you read the VN you didn't get voice acting, so that's one good reason why you might wanna watch it. Anime is more in-your-face with its horror, rather than in your mind. It's not nearly as paranoia inducing. It also doesn't emphasize the mystery as much, one reason being that the all-cast review sessions are completely absent. And finally the emotional scenes aren't as emotional in the anime... not even sure exactly why, they just aren't... it's probably a combination of reasons, like the music + dialogue being shorter and weaker + timing of the scenes.

Oh and some scenes are changed from the VN. Not in a good way.

But yea I'm comparing it to the VN now. Don't expect it to be as great as that. However purely anime-wise, it's a good one I think. And it's nice to see the characters in motion for once, plus the voice acting.

Definitely watch Higurashi Rei though. I haven't read the VN of it myself, but I've heard from others that you're not getting much more by reading the Rei VN over watching the anime adaptation. And I can believe that, plus the VN translation isn't even complete anyway. Rei is a fandisc btw that you're supposed to read/watch after Kai.

would it break in 1003 pieces my perfect memories of the vn?

No.

Actually if you're worried about that but still want more Higurashi, read the manga. It's really great (for the most part). Seriously.

Plus there are some side story mangas that you won't find in anime form or in translated VN form. http://myanimelist.net/manga/1264/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni:_Onisarashi-hen + http://myanimelist.net/manga/1265/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_ni:_Yoigoshi-hen They're pretty cool.

does it contains Miyo in her sexy nurse outfit? (that last option would make it a must-watch instantly)

Yes.

Also, i noticed there are a few Higurashi this and Higurashi that in vndb, is there something relevant there or is just fan made crap?

There's Rei which I mentioned above. Watch that. Later on there'll be the new Hou chapters on Steam, but that's gonna take a while.

is there actually a proper sequel to the game? (by proper i mean good, not like MLA Total eclipse, dear god i wish i could unsee).

There's no sequel to Higurashi's story. BUT, Higurashi is the first part of the When They Cry series. Umineko is the second part. Go read that. Remember to get the UmiTweak patches.

Well, I recommend watching Higurashi Rei first though. It's short.

Edited by Harlequin

That was one hell of a reply.

Good to know the anime is good on it's own, i considered they'll screw it up trying to compress a entire vn into a 20-30 episode anime (like fate/stay, not bad but it wouldn't make sense for someone who hasn't read the vn), i'll give it a try. (and if i get bored i'll just skip till Miyo's scenes)

I've never heard of Rei, i'll watch it after the original one to not lose the sequence, don't want to mess the story up in my head, such thing happens far too frequently...

I'm not actually someone who enjoys mangas, i tend to get bored pretty quickly with them; i remember i read Zelda MM, OoT and now Monster Musume but is just not my cup of tea, i prefer a good vn or some anime i can just sit back and watch while doing something else.

Umineko looks promising, judging from Higurashi i guess that patch replaces the cg as well because... well let's just say my dog could draw better ones... while blindfolded.

There's nothing worse than a good vn with freaky sprites, i've dropped a few novels by now just because i couldn't stand the drawings.

Anyways thank you, now if you 'scuse me i've gotta download.

I'm going to chime in slightly belatedly.

For me personally, I quite liked the anime. In fact, I watched the anime first before I read the VN. My biggest gripe with the anime, and this is especially glaring in the first season, is that it's a horror mystery as opposed to a mystery horror. In other words, the anime goes out of its way to try to creep you out in a horror type of way as opposed to relying on Higurashi's interesting mystery story telling. There was also a number of scenes removed in the anime that are in the VN (to be expected), although rather unexpectedly there were a couple of 'extra' scenes added... which add little to nothing to the story except to make it a bit more bloated, so that's less cool.

Overall the second season is stronger than the first as the second season relies more on mystery over horror (like the VN). I'm going to disagree with Harle and say that at least some of the emotional scenes were actually good in the anime (not all of them per se, but a number). So I'd recommend the anime (particularly the second season) as long as you realise it won't be as good as the VN, but still good.

As Harle said, don't forget about Rei since it's only a few episodes long and worth watching for a bit of fun. Oh and don't forget about everyone's favourite Higurashi anime Kira*!

*Nota bene: I am being completely sarcastic. I am not responsible for any damages incurred, both mentally and/or physically, whilst watching this god forsaken piece of human filth.

And the manga, again as Harle said, are supposed to be reasonably good as well... I just can't read manga very well, so I wouldn't really know. As for Umineko... well, some people really love it, so you might be able to. I... wasn't, but hey that's just me. Give it a shot.

The synopsios of Kira sounds like... fun; for some reason Ilya and nekomimi Rin came to my mind.

Hearing that the anime is not just a compression of the vn is pretty exciting, now i'm looking forward to it (to see Miyo, i mean)

I'm curious about this vn but i don't quite understand the order of things here; there's multiple chapters, it's related to that other vn called Umineko, there's one download that say ch1 but nothing else, there's a ps2 graphics patch and tweaks... Could someone explain the best order and what is what?

Yep, it's a little confusing the first time.

But:

If you want to read Higurashi, and want to use the patches available for it, then get this pack I made:

Higurashi - When They Cry COMPLETE

All arcs (1-8), all patches, working.

Fully updated as of - 20th of February 2013.

Download (MEGA)

Check the readme.

You get all of the Higurashi main story in this pack, plus the patches. You obviously start reading the 1-4 arcs, then move on to 5, 6, 7 and 8.

"What patches?" you ask... it's these ones -> Tweaking Higurashi Wiki

A bunch of stuff that fixes/tweaks Higurashi. My pack contains all of it except the translation one, since it only "fixes" arcs 1-4 and I'm not even sure yet if it's better than the original translation. It could ruin the feels of the text since I know for a fact that it does NOT just simply fix spelling/missing words. I'd advice not to use it to be honest. Even if you do use it, you'll get the original translation/editing in the 5-8 arcs regardless, so.

The PS2 art patches are optional, but the sound and music patches are mandatory. Anyway, my pack includes the entire Higurashi main story and all the patches available for it except the translation one.

When you download that MEGA link you'll get this:

Untitled.png

There's a .exe in each folder, you just play them in the correct order and that's all.

There's a copy-paste thing you gotta do before playing for the first time, but it's all explained in the readme.

Wat

You shouldn't need anything to download from mega, there's this little permision window that pops up once in a while "MEGA want to download something here {Accept} {Decline}" or something of the sort, but other than that is mere bs.

Or... are you using Firefox or IE?.

Well, i have it all tuned up with various extensions and modified with themes and stuff for quite some time now, it's perfectly fitted to my taste, so no need to start fiddling around with chrome or other browsers.

Had to update Opera (grrr) in order to access the MEGA dl (the newest version got installed besides the older one instead of on top of it, so now i have two Opera versions active, bah)

And the download is MEGA slow... Heh, at this rate it would have been better to just install that darn extension for Firefox.