Free Friends black screen

Okay, so we narrowed it down in shotubox with the help of rahrah.

It's a bug with Windows8.1 - basically game is unable to render some effects in windowed mode on that system. To fix it, either switch to full screen with alt-Enter key combination (apparently you can switch back to windowed mode and it'll keep working). Alternatively, you can open "Options" menu and disable "Show effects" option, which will fix it as well.

I would just go with the alt-enter method (and press it twice if you want to play in windows). While displaying the "display effects" option does make the game work, you have to go through a lot more hoops to do that and even once you do disable it that doesn't really fix it since upon restarting the game it goes back to that black screen even though the display effects are off. You can then get it back to normal again by turning it back on and repeating this on/off process every time you restart the game. I'm guessing just messing with the config options in general will cause the game to work but I didn't actually test that. With that said, it's just a lot easier to hit alt-enter upon starting the game to get the display showing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...