Did you try full locale changing? Through Control Panel, not applocale? Some VNs don't work with applocale and you must change locale through Control Panel.

I just tried that, even though I've never had to go that far before. It's giving me the same error messages no matter what my language/region is set to. Maybe it has something to do with the fact the game didn't have an install process? It comes off the site raw, with an exe file.

I just tried that, even though I've never had to go that far before. It's giving me the same error messages no matter what my language/region is set to. Maybe it has something to do with the fact the game didn't have an install process? It comes off the site raw, with an exe file.

windows 10?

Kirikiri VNs don't need installation, they don't need registries to make the game work, I know because I have tested many of these VNs and it never requires installation ... Just grabing files and putting them all in the same folder should always work ... What OS are you using? By the screenshots I think it's Win 8? But could be even Win 10?

I am using Win 7 and had no problems ... I really can't tell what's going wrong ... Looking at the second screenshot you posted, it mentions ASCI and Unicode problems so it's a problem related to it ... For more detail I would need a translation of the japanese error message ...

Do this ... Launch the game and then press "CTRL+C" when the error message pops up (it will copy the japanese error message to clipboard) and then go to Google Translate and set from Japanese to English translation and then press "CTRL+V" to paste the copied message to the blank space ... and then give me the translated message here, let's try to decipher the problem

---------------------------

寝取られ男の娘

スクリプトで例外が発生しました

ANSI 文字列を UNICODE 文字列に変換できません。現在のコードページで解釈できない文字が含まれてます。正しいデータが指定されているかを確認してください。データが破損している可能性もあります

OK

The daughter of a man who was taken down

An exception occurred in the script

Can not convert ANSI string to UNICODE string. It contains characters that can not be interpreted by the current code page. Please check whether correct data is specified. Data may be corrupted

OK

I also tried running the game in Windows XP and later I'll try Windows 10.

Okay, that gives us more detail :) First of all, you grabed the release from ErogeDownload, right? I have the same one and it has no corrupted data so this is something related to the specific machine you are running on ... I don't see a reason why this VN would require compatibility mode running with Win XP and so on, I never had to do that for Kirikiri VNs ... I just tried running the game again and it works, launches perfectly, right after extraction ... But I don't have a Win 8 machine to test it on sadly :(

It's definitively a problem related to locale, I just checked on the net that error message and it's always mentioned in the context of the system locale ... But since you already switched to japanese, I can't understand why you are still getting ANSI Unicode errors

Do me a favor and switch to Chinese locale and then try running the game? xD Or switch to English locale and try running the game without applying applocale at all, just try pure English locale

One more thing ... Delete savedata folder before doing all of this ... Actually, try running the game again, after deleting savedata folder, and try this first with japanese locale, you should be in japanese locale, just delete savedata folder, it will recreate itself once you launch the game

One more thing, make sure the folder is not set to read only, and not in Program Files ... The folder where you put the game should be somewhere on a remote location, outside of Program Files ... and it must not be read-only

Edited by TakiMinase

I downloaded it from this site, twice just to make sure. I thought I tried the game in XP but I actually didn't because my XP doesn't have the language pack. So right now I'm going through hell just to try and install that on it. I haven't tried Windows 10 yet but if that doesn't work either I'll probably just have to pass on this game. If it won't work with Applocale it's not worth it. (I also tried setting the local to other languages like Korean and Chinese.) Thanks for trying to help me with this though. I think the issue is my OS being 64-bit. Because everytime it crashes, this is what's left in Task Manager.

error3.jpg

That's for that other error message in my OP which is in Japanese and has the two prompt buttons. For some reason I can't copy paste that one like I could the other.

I am also on 64-bit OS and I can run the game just fine, it's not the cause of the problem, I am sure of that. Did you try with the savedata folder deleted?

Well, to be honest with you, you are not missing much, it's a trap nukige, if it's not a sexual fetish you are particularly interested in, then you aren't really missing that much xD I didn't go through it myself yet, just seeing the menu and how it looks like in-game is telling me "play this some other time" xDDD But it bothers me why it's not working, the usual way to fix those blue screen errors on Kirikiri VNs is to change system locale, I rarely see VNs in which that's not enough ... It's either the savedata folder or the locale, nothing else can cause it :p

Yeah, I deleted the save data. I tried everything mentioned in this thread except switching my OS local to anything other than Japanese. I love traps and a good yaoi but hate netorare, still wanted to at least try this game. It's one of the rarest kind as far as English eroges go.

Mhm, I see ... I understand you, it's true, there aren't many known trap nukiges in English available at the moment. Sadly, this one in particular seems to be a pain in the ass to run on your PC. I can't figure out what has gone wrong, except maybe that it's not possible to run it on Win 8.1 64-bit (which honestly doesn't make sense to me cause I am running it on a 64-bit Win 7 with no issues) ... That error message is pointing out at ANSI Unicode problems which is always related to locale problems. I can't figure out why it doesn't accept your locale change, you are basically getting the same error message, no matter if you are in English or Japanese locale setting. Which I find strange to be honest, it's like the game doesn't recognize it or something.