Tokimeki Check In! review by Ryu

Well, this will be my first official review so I'm going to write about the first eroge I played (well it's not the first actually, but the first one I played from JAST, the first one I ever played was Paradise Heights back in 1998.

Be aware that 90% of Peach Princess and G-Collections games are nukige or semi-nukige, back in JAST early days there was no money to licence heavy story-driven games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://s.vndb.org/cv/95/795.jpg

‡†The game†‡

Story: 8/10

The player takes the role of Yamano Takayuki, new master of the japanese inn.

The story tells the events of 3 days at the inn out of Takayukis perspective. Several guests will arrive at the inn so you have the astouning number of 10 delicious ladies to choose from.

The story has 17 possible endingsso the replay value this game has is sky-high.

• 2 bad endings

• 1 normal ending

• A good and/or a best ending for each girl

Characters:

1204413265-00.jpg

Gameplay: 7/10

All eroges has the same drill.

Common route -------> Branching point --------> Girl route --------> Lovey-dovey time -------> Conflict/Problem related to the girl ---------> Resolving the conflict -----------> Happy ending.

Nothing much to say really. You click....click.....click....click.....click....click.....click....click.....click....click.....click....click.....click....clck.....click....click.....click....click.....click....click.....on the entire game, or put on auto mode.

Sound: 6/10

The soundtracks are good, but not spectacular. You can't hope to have "

" in this kind of game, the music is "appropiate" for the different situations.

And at last, if the game has been full-installed (or a second CD-ROM-drive exists), the second included CD may be inserted and the music-options may be switched from "MIDI" to "CD-DA". After doing this, all previously already themes are played directly from the second CD, which contains the themes in genuine CD-quality and the opening-theme and the closing-theme contain even vocal (also japanese, but who cares) parts.

Great voice acting. Actors can really add something to a character, to make them come to life, and the various seiyuu of Tokimeki Check-in, really make all the girls come alive. On the downside, the male characters aren't given voices, which is a serious oversight in my opinion (If you ever have the chance of playing Castle Fantasia Renewall or Muv-Luv, you will like a lot more a voiced male

Graphics: 8/10

For the year this game was made, the art is pretty damn good, key events has their own CG, and the backgrounds are pretty well made.

Some examples

9736.jpg9740.jpg9737.jpg9738.jpg

Extras: 7/10

From the main menu screen, there are the Viewing-room and the Memory-room acessible. These rooms are filled while playing through the story with the graphics, already seen (Viewing room) and with entries that lead directly to the H-Scenes (Memory room). Also, all themes can be selected directly as background-music for the Viewing-room. Some further features become available at the Viewing room after all possible endings have been seen.

My Personal Opinion:

YOU.MUST.PLAY.IT

The story, has an unchangeable main plot that extends at many points according to the players decisions. The characters are all very appealing designed and anyone of them expresses itself in a very lifelike manner. Of cause, they have not such depth, remember, this is a sim-simulator, not Muv-Luv Alternative.

The game itself has a good replay-value with the challenge to get all 17 possible endings. By using the "Skip"-function, it is possible to jump over the unchangeable parts and the player can keep the focus on the new parts (or just the decisions).

Also, the game itself is not hard, if you use your head and think a little instead of fapping on the H-scenes, you will beat the 17 endings in no time.

Overall: 8/10...........Very good.

795.jpg

Edited by Ryu

Heh, was planning to make a review of this myself since i played it recently but you've beat me to it. No matter though, as your review is quite good and i agree with pretty much everything. The only thing i would add/say is that the game can be quite the stubborn bastard when it comes to the music, not it's quality mind you, on that i agree with your assessment, but to the getting it to play properly part.

I had many troubles with the music as well, but i ended up using this 'trick' i read somewhere; that when the game starts to get laggy you click on the X to close the window/game and then cancel it, the music then loads fine for a while... i played with my mouse cursor just on the X and when a change of scene came (and therefore and obvious change in the BGM track) i applied the above trick. It's a bit more troublesome when the change in track happens in the middle of scene (coinciding with a change of mood in the particular scene, like a normal conversation having a turn to the comedic or romantic) but it's still 'workable'. Not an ideal solution, of course, but i found it better than to play with no music.

This is a review thread and not a tech problem thread. I believe you guys should discuss this stuff in the tech support section.

I didn't feel like starting a new thread for one problem and to add to it its a old game which makes it even more pointless to start a new thread.At the very least its in the same tread where people who haven't played yet can see theirs a problem with it here instead of having to search else were.So if someones comment doesn't belong is your for complaining and this for me telling you to let it go. But I get I really do their is a tech thread for a reason.

I remember playing this game some years ago

Game was good, but i remember that the route branching didnt make any sense at all

Yeah i agree was also one of my very first vn's (before i knew what a vn was i just thoguht it was a hentai game) the route branching was like all over the shop from memory

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The art in this game looks older so its nostalgic but at the same time its good enough to stand alongside contemporary CG art. If Ryu says its a must read I'm definitely putting this on my to-read list :)

In fact this review telling me its a must-read is making me look forward to this; the vndb scores must not give it justice, as happens often with older games and nukiges.

• 3 years later...