Duel Savior, My thoughts and review

Heya all, nice to see there's an actual board for this sort of thing now. (Feel free to move this over to general Eroge talk, if this isn't the proper place for this.)

Anyway, Just finished the last route I plan to play for Duel Savior, I completed all the justice routes, as well as the Crea Destiny route.

As this is a review/post game thought thread, do note that there will very likely be spoilers. So if you haven't played the game, or want to experience it fresh yourself, STOP READING at this point, and come back when you are finished.

Still with me? Alright, let's get to it. I'm going to talk a bit about each route and each character one at a time.

The first route I did was Berio's. Usually I'm not a huge fan of the nun fetish some people and games seem to have. I've known and been taught by nuns in the past, and it's just not my thing. However, Berio as a character really surprised me, I thought I would be slogging along through her story just to finish it and get to the others, but as things went on, I really started to enjoy myself. The split personalty thing is both amusing at points and creative. And her ending is quite good, a nice moment of willpower and romance, then she ends up on Earth, leading me to imagine what a fully powered priestess would do on earth and the shenanigans that magic would create.

This first route is also where I was first exposed to the story. It's quite good, the moments of pure awesome that sent a chill down my back like the first summoning of traitor were priceless. The art is clean, and doesn't seem too stylistic or strange, even with the chibi combat sequences.

The second route I did was Kaede's and I must say, I really love her character. I know she's basically a female naruto with some trauma, but still I found her likeable and funny. Even the bunny suit during the censored PS2 destiny playthrough was fairly awesome. What I didn't quite like however was her ending. It was eventually sweet after giving me a horrible feeling with the post battle Kaede. I expected the route would be similar to Berio's and she would end up in his world. It just felt a bit flat as an ending compared to the one I had seen before, and I still don't think it holds up very well against all the others. Also, where does her ninja clan power disappear to after this route. It's never even mentioned again in the others.

The third route for Rico seems like it should have been much more than it was. With how serious things got with the story in the library and the whole contract and red apostle thing you'd think that her story would be much more important. Instead for both her and Nanashi while you do get more of the story and info about what is going on, the reveal of Downy as the white apostle clashes with what you learn later. I really wonder about the facts here, if he's the white, how in the world did Mia take out that chimera in these routes? It's also at this point that I began to wonder about why the two big relationships with Mudou and Shezar were basically ignored outside of their respective routes. I know it's not really important, but with the enforced playing order, you'd think it might be at part of things at the end.

Over all, Rico's route seemed a bit depressive and didn't grip me quite as much as the others. The ending eventually turned out pretty well(better than Kadae's) and left a smile on my face. However nothing seemed to be resolved and it just made me want to hurry up and get to Nanashi's route.

The fourth route for Nanashi was very awesome. While the slightly flat and broken storyline from Rico's route remained, I enjoyed trying to figure out just what in the world this girl was. I think she makes an awesome character, in both of her personalities. Her ending reminded me of Fate/Stay with the artificial body thing.

Then came Lily's route. The amount of information you learn here all ties in nicely, though I kind of wish there was an H scene with Muriel like I was expecting, instead we only get a bondage CG, and that alone is rather weak if you ask me. Lily herself frustrates me, a great example of a Tsundere who never really gets to the dere part of things. That first main H-scene(non-tentacle) CG is still awesome to me personally, but her personality and how things went turned me off. The love-love beam thing was kinda funny, but wasn't exactly what I was going for there, when the others had a bit more Hentai in their H-scenes. However, I think this route really shines with it's ending. The image of a mature Lily standing there with her son and the way they resolved the whole cycle thing really felt proper to me unlike many of the other endings. It may not have been a true ending, but it was a happy ending for the characters, if not for the story.

Mia came next. I was actually looking forward to this, even though I'm usually not into the whole sister complex thing. I have a sister and totally understand the sort of reluctance and basic disgust that might come through on this sort of relationship. However, Mia is gorgeous. Aside from a few strange facial expressions I thought her art was quite good, and her hair reminded me of Kanu from Koihime Musou. Her route gives you the first glimpse at a true end, and a stop to the cycle that is this story. However, the personal ending for the characters to live out their lives seemed boring and uninteresting to me, perhaps because of the whole brother/sister thing.

After this I decided to play through a Destiny version for the first time, and went for Crea's route. I actually kind of liked the Bath time scenes, and as I mentioned before Bunny Suit Kaede is awesome. However I could tell as things went on that the game wasn't originally censored like this. I enjoyed the little scenes with Crea herself, and wished there was more, instead of just adapting the harem route. One thing that really surprised me here was Crea with a kid afterwards, as I totally missed that until I thought about things, due to the nature of the censorship. I'm not usually as Lolicon as some tend to be, but honestly, I liked Crea as a character more than I did Rico. Some part of me wishes for a full on H-scene. Her destiny non-princess costume was awesome, that orange-pink hat in her normal sprite was just ugly as all get.

Then finally I went back to Justice and ran through the proper Harem route. I was really surprised at how in depth the big H-scene there was. I expected a couple CG's and then the ending. All those new H-CGs were quite awesome, and it even addressed just how troubled each of the heroines really were. This route had the same feel good ending to it that I got from Koihime musou as well. To the point that my mind wanders thinking of how a sequel might go, him with powers and the like.

After everything is said and done, I really am quite pleased with this game. After several months of struggling with VN's and just not enjoying myself as much as I did. This really makes me feel that same emotional high that other great games like Fate/Stay, Katawa, Kohime Musou, etc gave. Everything really fell into place to make a solid eroge. The art, the music, the story, even the combat system(though I do wish there was more of a RPG element here).

Duel Savior gets a strong 9/10 from me.

Feel free to add your own thoughts about the game, or responses to what I've said in this thread. I do enjoy hearing what other people think.

Hey, nice to see that you had a good time with a VN now, since you had problems enjoying this medium for quite some time as you've said before in a different thread as well.

Couldn't read all of what you've written since I stopped after completing Lily's route myself. I'm a a bit surprised though... you thought Duel Savior was THAT good huh? Hehe, well, that's nice then for you I guess. It wasn't quite as good for me, although it did differ a lot depending on which route I was on of course. Lily's route ended up being the best for me, with Nanashi's being second best.

[spoiler=Nanashi route]Yes, Rubinas is very awesome. Best part about the whole route if you ask me. Well, the route was good in general.

And yes, Lily's ending was definitely great as well. Satisfying. It was actually nice to stop reading the VN after seeing that. ^^

... Might pick it up again someday to finish it off completely though.

Edited by Harlequin

I can see why someone might stop at the Lilly ending. It really was one of the best, if not the best. And Mia's route after it is just such a headache. You might want to check out the harem routes though, if you can slog through the two Mia endings.

As to spoilers... I mentioned don't read past the start in the post, and this is the REVIEW section, if you are worried about spoilers you shouldn't be reading in here.