Any suggestions

Have a list of what you saw? Would help narrow things down. I myself would like to bring up Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo, which is still airing if I believe. I never saw all of it, but yeah. I guess it fits into the highschool setting, but with a lot of comedy too. Also Seitokai no Ichizon, which has parodies, still never got done watching that. Little Busters as well?

This is all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helped in someway. I dont have a MAL, nor do I plan on getting one. I will try and remember any of the highschool ones I saw.

Your request is a bit wrong, nice and cheery + good story isn't really a great mix and I haven't ran across many good anime like that. The reason for that is that good stories can't be all happy time 100%, they need some drama or something like that. On the other hand, the "nice and cheery" anime tend to be slice of life with little or no story. With that said, I would suggest Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - MyAnimeList.net!. While it doesn't exactly fit the description, that's the closest you're gonna get.

Edited by killerinsidee

What do you mean by new? Recent? And harem or no harem anime?

Just throwing out high school anime:

Azumanga Daioh: Very cute series with almost entirely female cast, no romance, humor that can be appreciated even by a Westerner and some heartwarming moments.

Cromartie High School: Absolutely insane, still funny.

Ouran High School Host Club: Generally good writing with funny scenes and a likable lead character. Unfortunately it's one of the many 'rich weird hot boys around average intelligent girl' so it might just not appeal and it follows cliches. Were it made later I'd say it has too many cliches, but because it was made years ago I'd say instead that series like this are what made those cliches popular in the first place (sort of like Ranma 1/2 and tsunderes).

Ookami-san: A bit strange but generally interesting, humorous, has some real drama and tension and a romance that doesn't overpower the plot.

Yeah should clear that up a bit lol, by nice and cheery i mean something that after watching it makes yous feel good at the end, but I do have a wide variety when it comes to the animes I like so not looking for anything to specific, just something that i can get into and enjoy, but i perfect example of the kind of thing im looking for would be Ouran highschool, lost count of how many times iv watched that haha

will give some of these a check though, thanks guys :)