Sasami-san@Ganbaranai

No one made a thread for this anime (or watched it yet :

The first thing you need to know about this anime is that it's made by Shaft, a lot of people will know what that means - some crazy and unique art style and possibly a fair share of randomness. If you don't like crazy random anime like Nichijou or Pani Poni Dash, or those that make you drop your jaw throughout the whole episode and go "WTF did I just watch" after finishing it, then this may not be for you. For the rest of you, this is like a late Christmas present.

I wasn't expecting any new anime to actually rival the previously mentioned anime in terms of randomness, but this one comes seriously close. Granted, Shaft did make Pani Poni, Hidamari Sketch, Maria Holic and Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei, so they know a thing or two about random nonsense comedies.

The art style is really unique in this anime, I don't recall seeing anything like it before. It uses some colorful film grain effect/overlay for most of the background art which makes it look really great in my opinion, it's a bit hard to describe, you need to check it out yourself. The character design is similar to that of Madoka★Magica and Hidamari Sketch, though because of the "grainy overlay", in some of the scenes the characters blend with the background nicely. I thought it was a nice touch.

The OP is really catchy and addictive, the reason why - it's composed by Hyadain(Nichijou OP, ED) and performed by ZAQ(Chuunibyou OP).

You don't get to hear much of the ED in the first episode because the characters talk during that time, can't say much about it at the moment. The BGM is fine I guess, I haven't noticed any exceptionally awesome tracks yet, but I guess they fit with the theme of the anime just fine.

The seiyuu, my favorite part. This was the main reason that got me to check out this anime in the first place, I didn't check the synopsis or PVs early on, when I saw who was in this anime, there was no way for me not to watch it.

The main character, Sasami is voiced by Asumi Akana (Nyaruko, Popura from Working!, Yuno from Hidamari), Tsurugi by Saito Chiwa (Kotori from Rewrite, Becky from Pani Poni), Kagami by Hanazawa Kana (Kuroneko from Oreimo) and Tama by Nonaka Ai (Fuko from Clannad, Ichijou from Pani Poni). The MC is voiced by some guy I don't really know, apart from him being the Chuunibyou narrator.

I think that pretty much covers what this anime has to offer from the visuals and sound, now about the premise and "plot"... I have no idea how to describe it really, but I'll do my best. From what I've gathered, the anime revolves around Sasami (duh, her name is on the title -.-) and her faceless brother, though I'm not sure how huge his role is just yet. Sasami is an otaku and a hikikomori, she also refuses to go to school or even outside of the house, while her brother "babysits" her way too much when he's at home. While we're at the brother, I should note that for some reason they decided to keep his face hidden throughout the anime, so you'll see him having a bucket or a bag covering his face all the time. I don't know the reasoning behind it, guess I'll just roll with it, it's not like the rest of the anime is making a whole lot more sense anyway. He also seems to like her in a very incestuous way (\o/), this may turn off some people *cough* yeah, right :>. Without giving away too much, let's just say that Sasami is slighty tsun and possibly even yandere towards her brother. Apart from them, there are these 3 crazy sisters. I'm not even going to attempt to explain what's their deal, I have no idea and neither will you when you finish watching this episode.

Will this anime have some "greater plot" - no idea, some drama or epic twists - probably not, crazy random nonsense - yep.

There you have it, I personally liked this one a lot, there's not all that many great anime this season and this one is looking to be the best one of the season in my book.

Edited by killerinsidee

I liked it a lot as well! Only one episode so far, but still. Unique art, yes, and that I can appreciate. Just a great overall design to it really. Gotta love the voice acting also of course.

Those three sisters = reeeeeally awesome.

Well, the kind of randomness going on in this anime is definitely for me. Looking forward to the next episodes.

"A chocolatey and heartrending chocotale about choco'ing the chocolate taken away by the chocolate. As the couple chocolate each other and go choco, they chocolatize."

[spoiler=EP1]!!!

ChocoSasami71711129990.jpg

You know what's great about this anime so far? -----> All the characters are good and funny. And I doubt that's going to change later.

Anyway, nice (geeky) episode.

[spoiler=EP2]Actually got some explanation (if you wanna call it that) for how stuff works... I'll take it! :p

Loved the ending also for SOME reason. Yes. "Check if game works in a sleepy haze -> it doesn't work... -> go to bed -> sleep -> zoom out on sleeping Sasami -> The End." No words spoken. I dunno... it was just funny to me somehow. :D

[spoiler=EP2]Damn, Sasami's battlestation is impressive to say the least! Also, let's not forget the Red Bull stash.

1.jpg

3.jpg

[spoiler=EP2];)

5.jpg

[spoiler=EP2]Tsurugi-sensei is perverted and interested in ero games?... Mmmmmmm yeeeeeeees... Approved!

4.jpg

[spoiler=EP2]Thought she looked really nice here.

6.jpg

And no, can't get enough of that cool voice of hers. It's addictive.

Extra side note: When he has the paper bag over his head, Kamiomi reminds me of Faust from Guilty Gear, hehe...

Ep2 -

We get an explanation for the first episode in the beginning, it was needed because the stuff that happened in ep1 was totally insane. Even though this episode was weaker on the straight up insane comedy, it had a lot of things I could relate to, especially those things about eating and then typing on the keyboard with greasy hands. That shit pisses me off as well. Out of the 3 sisters, I like Tsurugi the most, she's into eroge

Edited by killerinsidee

Japan, and their sense of humor. The 2nd episode never fail to make me laugh with its comedy. It has lots of wacky and peculiar moments that managed to keep my attention. Using the Japanese mythology as one of its element is a good idea (especially the three sister lol), though people who are not familiar with the subject might get a bit confused.

[spoiler= the sister]The three sister: Tsurugi (the sword) which represent valor, Kagami (the mirror) which represent wisdom, and (Maga)Tama (the jewel), which represent benevolence. This is crazy stuff. lol I think Kagami characteristic in this anime is the best. x)

Although I'm enjoying it so far, I think it might be better if they give more explanation/backstory/plot for some of the stuff.

Now here comes the negative part...

[spoiler= the ending]So three years ago, Sasami played the game and make a wish which somehow created Yamata no Orochi. I don't know if it's just me, but this "alteration" has become more and more similar to Suzumiya Haruhi.

Edited by Gerard the Lone Wolf

Wow...

[spoiler=EP3]That was a surprisingly interesting episode! It had some random comedy nonsense going on as well, sure (tanks and helicopters and shikigami and...), but I for one did not expect all of that intriguing backstory information and such. So there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. ^^ I like that though. In fact, I'm really impressed by this anime now. It has not failed to deliver at all yet in my opinion.

[spoiler=EP3]Love the sound of that snickering of hers. :D

SnickerSnicker.png

[spoiler=EP3]... ... ... *NOD NOD NOD*

Lovely.png

[spoiler=EP3]Yep, big fan of that girl. Her voice (Kuronekooooooo) as well as her numerous tools and way of doing things. ^^ Huge hammer? Perfect. Reminds me of Harley Quinn.

AsYou'dPayVisitToAShrine.pngBigHammer.png

Episode 3 -

This one had a totally different feel then the previous 2, along with a lengthy back-story which kinda makes sense, but at the same time it's a bit weird. I'll just roll with it and I won't question the explanations in this anime, think it's better that way. Even though this episodes was only the third, it could have easily counted as a final episode with a few tweaks. Next week we'll see Sasami go outside for a change, or will we? You never know with this anime. The ED was nice this time with the sisters messing around. Till next week, ihishishishi~.

Edited by killerinsidee

Welp, haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but I have been watching this, and enjoying it more than I thought. I'll go ahead and repost the thoughts I had on the first couple of episodes here.

[spoiler=First Impressions on Episode 1:]

It reminds me quite a bit of FLCL, it has that strange borderline randomness that will likely never be explained, but has enough of a touch of reality to it, that it's hard to dismiss as total stupidity. I didn't find it nearly as bad as I expected, it all worked, even with the randomness. Even the slightly washed out pastels of the background reminded me of FLCL's style, certain background things were almost depected as oil paintings slowly melting in the sunlight. And that's pretty strong imagry, intended or not.

It left me with some very obvious questions, like what the hell is up with the brother hiding his face. Or what exactly happened with the whole chocolate thing, is Sasami dreaming all of this? How are those three involved, basically I sat there with a big question mark floating above my head as the end theme played... and I have to admit, I want to see more.

[spoiler=First Impressions on Episode 2:]

Wow, I was totally expecting more randomness with no explanation at all. There's actually a story going on here, based in some sort of supernatural system. I hope they keep up this explanation bits in her reports, maybe even coming to some sort of resolution as the episodes go on. Though I don't have a whole lot of faith.

Assuming any of this can be believed and they don't just turn it into some sort of hallucination by Sasami, and preach against being unmotivated.

Welp, haven't watched the 3rd episode yet, but I have been watching this, and enjoying it more than I thought. I'll go ahead and repost the thoughts I had on the first couple of episodes here.

[spoiler=First Impressions on Episode 1:]

It reminds me quite a bit of FLCL, it has that strange borderline randomness that will likely never be explained, but has enough of a touch of reality to it, that it's hard to dismiss as total stupidity. I didn't find it nearly as bad as I expected, it all worked, even with the randomness. Even the slightly washed out pastels of the background reminded me of FLCL's style, certain background things were almost depected as oil paintings slowly melting in the sunlight. And that's pretty strong imagry, intended or not.

It left me with some very obvious questions, like what the hell is up with the brother hiding his face. Or what exactly happened with the whole chocolate thing, is Sasami dreaming all of this? How are those three involved, basically I sat there with a big question mark floating above my head as the end theme played... and I have to admit, I want to see more.

[spoiler=First Impressions on Episode 2:]

Wow, I was totally expecting more randomness with no explanation at all. There's actually a story going on here, based in some sort of supernatural system. I hope they keep up this explanation bits in her reports, maybe even coming to some sort of resolution as the episodes go on. Though I don't have a whole lot of faith.

Assuming any of this can be believed and they don't just turn it into some sort of hallucination by Sasami, and preach against being unmotivated.

My guess: you'll enjoy episode 3 a lot. :D Just a guess though.

[spoiler=Episode 3:]

This show has always been such an odd one. I'm pretty sure I like it, but there's so much going on, and it has that feel that you shouldn't take ANY of this craziness at face value. They even explained a reason why the brother keeps his face covered. And the bit at the end about Sasami talking to Sasami or whatever is odd as well(I'm guessing they mean the sealed personality or whatever that arm was, maybe?). Guess we have to wait and see what episode 4 has in store.

Episode 4 -

I was just stunned until the last 10mins of this episode, so much insanity went on in this one. Let me get this straight - the hand, which is a split personality was watching a DVD recording about Sasami then later on got turned into a rabbit...cool. Again, this episode feels like it could be the last one in the series. Nice BGM track at the end and an amusing ED. Looking forward to seeing the insanity they conjure next week

[spoiler=EP4]Insanity indeed... absolutely crazy episode. Just... mmm... right... what's there to say... hmm...

Well, it was a great episode, that's for sure. Best one when it comes to randomness and comedy so far in my opinion. Still plenty of episodes to go though.

And yea I think you got that right, killer. ^^

Tee-hee.jpg

Episode 5

Nothing much to say about this one. Kagami gets a lot of screen time and Sasami is trying to make a friend, apart from that it's business as usual. Surprisingly this episode didn't feel like "the last ep" and the EDs continue to be fairly amusing. Oh, let's not forget the almost yuri licking, mmm - http://i.imgur.com/8iIxosu.jpg.

Didn't watch episode 5 until now for some reason... oh well, double episode session this time around for me I guess!

[spoiler=EP5]Surprisingly emotional episode, with lots of Kagami, yea! Very nice! Loved it.

Friends.jpg

[spoiler=EP6]DAMN! It was pretty cute and innocent at first with the mother and daughter doing random things... but then, CORPSE MOM showed up. It did not end well. Kagami :( :(

Looking forward to the next episode!

UsamiParadise.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to make a post for the last week's episode.

Ep 7 -

A rather hardcore episode again, the first half was a bit sad as well, but then it all gets "crushed" by Tama's silly scenes which were pretty good. It's nice having Asakawa Yuu as Sasami-san's mother, too bad she's not a regular. No Tsurugi at all in this ep, apart from the phone call :<. tama gets trolled in the ed haha. ending="no" clue.>

Ep 8 -

Surprisingly this ep didn't start "super depressing" as the last two. I had no idea what was going on in like the first half (as usual), but it got cleared up later - she was fat...lol. The clothes melting was kinda funny, reminds me of certain hentai with mahou shoujos *ahem*. Tsurugi is back, but she didn't get much screen time again, sadly. Last half of the episode was not explained much, that's nothing out of the ordinary, though. Ending = as usual.

Edited by killerinsidee

Ep 9 -

Best episode so far in my opinion. The random time traveling was really nice, had a few laughs with it. "Mother-daughter" arc seems to have ended with this episode, or so it seemed at least. Two new villains showed up so it'll be even more insane here on out. EDs never get old, this one was no exception. I really like those segments. Lastly - http://i.imgur.com/1uI8fRo.jpg is damn cute.

[spoiler=EP10]Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, it never fails to surprise does it, lol! Loved this episode as well for the same reasons as killer. Fanservice, for everyone! I think it's totally fine for there to be an episode like this. It was fun! :D

But hey, hopefully the last episodes will be even MORE crazy than what we've already seen so far in this anime. Because we do like that part about Sasami-san the most, ooooh yes.

... ... *nosebleed*

NotAtAll!.jpg

Ep 11 -

Onsen/Festival episode part 2. This episode just felt great, from edogawa's crazy "chuunibyou" nonsense and tsun tsun, to a really sweet last part. Tsurugi really sounded like Kotori when she said "It's really pretty" in the end. No clue how they'll end it next week, but it's gonna be good for sure. This pretty much sums up the episode - http://i.imgur.com/S6hRrWI.jpg. Also, best preview ever - http://i.imgur.com/mGYkm2d.jpg