Higurashi no Naku what?

As suggestion from this guy

The other highly recommended VN is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, a mystery visual novel with very interesting writing (admittedly, I haven't read it, but the anime adaptation made me fall in love, and the VN is supposed to be far superior)

I wanted to try Higurashi (you've hit the jackpot with the other vns, so i'll give this one a try), but then i found 4 vns with the same name, i guess they're just secuels or something like that

So wich order should i take them?, im as lost here as i was when i first downloaded Galaxy angel :/

Edited by Maoh

The game was split into several parts instead of sold as a whole so what you are seeing are the various chapters, first one includes chapter 1 to 4 and then each of the other four adds a chapter leading up to the games finale. :)

(So you need them all.)

I forgot what order they were in but it's probably mentioned in the description either here or on Mangagamers all-ages website where they are being sold.

If you want to read Higurashi, and want to use the patches available for it, then get this pack I made:

Higurashi - When They Cry COMPLETE

All arcs (1-8), all patches, working.

Fully updated as of - 20th of February 2013.

Download (MEGA)

Check the readme.

You get all of the Higurashi main story in this pack, plus the patches. You obviously start reading the 1-4 arcs, then move on to 5, 6, 7 and 8.

"What patches?" you ask... it's these ones -> Tweaking Higurashi Wiki

A bunch of stuff that fixes/tweaks Higurashi. My pack contains all of it except the translation one, since it only "fixes" arcs 1-4 and I'm not even sure yet if it's better than the original translation. It could ruin the feels of the text since I know for a fact that it does NOT just simply fix spelling/missing words. I'd advice not to use it to be honest. Even if you do use it, you'll get the original translation/editing in the 5-8 arcs regardless, so.

The PS2 art patches are optional, but the sound and music patches are mandatory. Anyway, my pack includes the entire Higurashi main story and all the patches available for it except the translation one.

Edited by Harlequin

Omg this looks so complicated, i never thought they could split a game in so many parts and make so many patches

Just noticed there's something called umineko wich seems so be related as well =_=

im just gonna download something else

thanks for the help

Yeah, it's not complicated at all. Just download the different parts, extract using winrar, and...you're done, actually. Well, you might have to drop something into your Windows/Font Folder, but that's it. The game is already patched to run and everything, no need even mount a .iso or anything. Trust me: try higurashi, you won't regret it. To play, just run one of the .exe files in the correct folder. Start with arcs 1-4, then 5 etc.; 8 is the last. I'm actually reading Higurashi at the moment (using this pack, I think) and having a blast!

To describe it: A mystery murder horror mashup that gives a little bit of information to you at a time and makes you think. Even though I watched the anime, reading the VN is still a huge amount of fun (hindsight is 20/20). It's a little bit on the intense side, but if you've read Muv Luv Alternative, you should be more than prepared to tackle it.

On a slightly different note, Umineko is related to higurashi, but I am told that umineko spoils a lot of what happens, so definitely read higurashi first.

Edited by Chocolatemilkgod
Omg this looks so complicated, i never thought they could split a game in so many parts and make so many patches

Just noticed there's something called umineko wich seems so be related as well =_=

im just gonna download something else

thanks for the help

Not complicated whatsoever.

1. Download what I linked you above - those 6 parts.

2. Extract the files.

3. Check the readme.txt and do what the first line of it says.

4. Done. That's it. You've got what you need for Higurashi.

So harlequin's pack is all i need to download? no patches and this-part-first-then-that stuff right?

I don't have any problem if is just some parts and a patch since i'll just let jdownloader do all the work while i play tales

So harlequin's pack is all i need to download? no patches and this-part-first-then-that stuff right?

I don't have any problem if is just some parts and a patch since i'll just let jdownloader do all the work while i play tales

No worries. Literally all you do is get Harle's six files, extract, read the readme and you're done. They're all pre-patched and ready to go! And considering the file service used, it should only take anywhere from 10-20 minutes to download them.

Yea you don't really have to worry about anything else. Download those 6 parts, extract the files, then check the readme.txt and do what it says in the first line of it. Nothing more. After that you can just start reading Higurashi, and obviously you start with "Arc 1-4".