Visual Novels Translation Status [06/29/2014]

just letting people know that Soukoku no Arterial mostly machine translation patch is out, they might translate it manually later (they said they have a translator now).

Arterial of Origins - English Translation Patches | Nekohen

This is the same crap as the other MT'd eushully games, it's really not worth mentioning. There are probably some masochistic people would read actually with a machine translated script, though. Not worth the effort in my opinion.

On the other hand, if they got a translator who's willing to actually translate it, that's fucking great.

Edited by killerinsidee
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand, if they got a translator who's willing to actually translate it, that's fucking great.

Exactly - that's why I dont "completely" dispise MTs, it's a decent starting block for TLrs (as I've heard it's a easier starting point then straight Kana/Kanji), though I question how much gets lost in translation (does a MT accurately TL the symbols/strokes?). Of course Japanese to english involves some context creation and creativity no matter what, but that more jsut the nature of the beast~

Edited by Some guy
me spell good

^

I meant "they got a translator who's willing to actually translate it", i.e., fuck the MT completely and do it proper. I don't really see how the MT would help. If you can't read without the help of a MT, you probably shouldn't translate stuff just yet. Not even the text hook is of any use if you have the scripts, which is usually the case.

Edited by killerinsidee
^

I meant "they got a translator who's willing to actually translate it", i.e., fuck the MT completely and do it proper. I don't really see how the MT would help. If you can't read without the help of a MT, you probably shouldn't translate stuff just yet. Not even the text hook is of any use if you have the scripts, which is usually the case.

Eh, woulden't know - I havent tried reading a MT in a looong time; I suspect I might be able to make more sense of it now, with a firmer understanding of their speech and grammer style (solely based off of years of llistening to verbal japanese - compared to prior when I didnt even understand the diferences in their sentence constructions).

But I see your point, it really would be patchy guess-work if they rely on a english MT as a source. Now, a question - what if it was MT'd from traditional symbols to romanji (instead of english)? I suspect even novices would have an easier time grasping it that way, pressuming if the MT is more accurate~

Now, a question - what if it was MT'd from traditional symbols to romanji (instead of english)? I suspect even novices would have an easier time grasping it that way, pressuming if the MT is more accurate~

It wouldn't make much difference and maybe make it even worse in some cases. I can't say for certain, but I would guess that there are a lot more homonyms in Japanese then English, so sometimes the kanji actually helps you figure out the correct meaning. If you know how to read Japanese really good it wouldn't make any difference (Pokemon games are written fully in hiragana/katakana), but if you're "not there yet" it helps to have the kanji sometimes. That's my experience at least. Also, please don't write romanji, it's rōmaji/romaji.

It wouldn't make much difference and maybe make it even worse in some cases. I can't say for certain, but I would guess that there are a lot more homonyms in Japanese then English, so sometimes the kanji actually helps you figure out the correct meaning. If you know how to read Japanese really good it wouldn't make any difference (Pokemon games are written fully in hiragana/katakana), but if you're "not there yet" it helps to have the kanji sometimes. That's my experience at least. Also, please don't write romanji, it's rōmaji/romaji.

Sadly (?), the amount of effort needed to check every time context doesen't suffice would be way greater than the one needed to translate from the mix kanji/kana.

And nevermind pokemon games (I'd guess that they are written in a certain way because the main target are small children that don't know a lot of kanji anyway), to read only in romaji or kana would be undoable even for japanese people.

Also, I'm really happy about MG licensing Ourai no Gahkthun, though I don't know if I'm more interested in the game itself or in seeing how does a WAB sound when translated by a good translator.

Edited by Uzuki Sepia

Ah fair enough - I still have a long ways to go myself.

Also, please don't write romanji, it's rōmaji/romaji.

Whoops, didn't think it looked right when I typed it - thanks. :)