Okay, so of my library, here is the list of fully/mostly translated games that i have on my to-play list as higher than "medium". I just need to pick about 3-4 of these to play for the next month and a half, since the 7 games I'm currently playing are drawing to a close (DAMN Kamidori and Kajitsu took a long time).

Here is the list, just give me your best recommendations:

Ayakashibito (I'm almost for sure playing this one)

Bukkake Ranch

Come See Me Tonight 1 + 2

Daibanchou (dropped it before because GUI was too hard to figure out)

Daiteikoku

Deardrops

Sexy Demon Transformation (this one is ONLY on the list because it was recommend the last time I made this thread...)

Dengeki Striker

H mo Game mo Kaihatsu Zanmai

Fate/Stay Night (dropped it to play Kamidori, but now that's over...)

Harem Party

Harukoi Otome

Hoshizora

I/O

Kono Oozora

Lightning Warrior Raidy 1+2

Muv-Luv Alternative (almost certainly playing this one too, just finished Muv-Luv Extra/Unlimited)

Pick Me Honey (I'm actualyl about halfway done with this one already, but dropped it like a year ago so I'd rather start all over)

Princess Waltz

Princess Eris

Pururun Cafe (Looked like a better than average nukige?)

Saya no Uta

Sharin no Kuni

Tears to Tiara

The Sagara Family (is this any better than Pick me Honey?)

Touma Kojirou

Tsukihime (dropped this because of artstyle about an hour in last time, should I revisit it?)

Yumina The Ethereal (no, I haven't played it yet at all >_>)

Zanmataisei Demonbane (heard this was pretty damn good...)

That's all for now, if you have other recommendations, I only want recommendations for games that are already fully translated or almost completely translated. I'm not waiting on a game to finish TL work.

Thanks guys, I just need opinions! *Round 1, FIGHT!*

I haven't played all the VNs on that list, but here's my personal opinion about some of them.

Muv-Luv - This one is my second favourite VN ever (First one being Umineko) if you liked extra/unlimited, you will probly love this, even if you didn't like extra you will probly love this anyways, that's what happened to me, also this is pretty long.

Fate stay/night - Also really liked it, story was good, has some nice music, and it was enjoyable for me.

Deardrops - it's about music, even though I actually didn't like the music I really liked the story, I play in a band so I guess I could relate to it.

Saya no Uta - Also liked alot, it's pretty dark, if you're not into this kinda of stuff I wouldn't recommend it, otherwise go for it.

Yumina - This one was pretty nice, I liked the story and it was pretty funny, the battle system is confusing at first but it's pretty easy later on, has alot of grinding involved and it's very long if you want to get the ''true ending'' however for me it was worth it.

Daibanchou - I spent countless hours on this and sengoku rance, if you played anything from alicesoft before and liked it, I would recommend it for you, however it was the RPG elements that kept me going, the story was pretty whatever for me, I finished all 6 routes and there was still alot to do, as for the GUI looking hard that's pretty normal, I screwed up alot in my first run

Lightning Warrior Raidy - This will take forever if you don't use a walkthrough, I was too lazy to finish it even with a walkthrough.

Pururun Cafe - This was just a generic nukige for me.

Tears to Tiara - I dropped this one because I completely hated the battle system.

So what I recommend from that list is: Muv-luv, Fate/stay night, Saya no uta and Deardrops.

3. Deardrops

2. FSN

4. Princcess Waltz

1. Saya no Uta

Get rid of Tears to Tiara if you have and want to keep any semblance of sanity. (Not that it's a crazy VN, it's just crap)

Also either get rid of Harem Party, play it soundless, or be a masochist.

Edited by Avenger

For some reason everyone hates Tears to Tiara... is the battle system THAT bad? Can someone explain that?

Daibanchou... I was actually dreading this, can ANYONE explain the GUI?

I've heard mixed things about Saya no Uta, but it looks good and I love dark stuff. I'm a Stephen King fan if that says anything.

As far as MY recommendations? As about a genre in specific, I've played a metric fuckton of VNs, albeit I tend to play the non-mainstream ones as you guys can tell. If you want me to recommend something for a particular genre, fetish, or scenario, I'd be happy to.

What do you guys think about Ayakashibito, Sharin no Kuni, Daiteikoku and I/O? I'm seriously interested in those 4, but know only what the summaries say about them.

(DAMN Kamidori and Kajitsu took a long time)

Know that feeling. Spent hundreds of hours on Kamidori. After getting every possible item, beating every possible monster, and maxing everyone's stats I was sad that I had nothing left to do. Anyway, let's see what I've played.

Daibanchou (dropped it before because GUI was too hard to figure out) - Took me hours of saving and reloading before I got through the first part. After I finally figured out how to use everything, I got the the third chapter when everything opened up, got completely overwhelmed, and quit. Wish I could explain it for you, but I'd have to reinstall it.

Dengeki Striker - Yeah, it's fun, if kinda dumb. And it got an updated rerelease, which is always good.

Lightning Warrior Raidy 1+2 - Only play if you enjoy old school dungeon crawls, enjoy pain, or just don't mind save/loading before every level up so you don't get terrible stats. Other than that, keep a walkthrough handy, watch out for enemise that use magic, and enjoy the lesbian femdom.

Princess Waltz - Really good game as I've said, and the card battles are fun, but it's over so quick that the battles never get great.

Princess Eris - It's nice, for an hour or two, but it's really just spank material, there's no real plot. And if you like it you'll be pissed that the other parts of the trilogy never got translated.

Saya no Uta - Creepy, creepy, creepy, evil.

Tears to Tiara - I'm the only person that likes TtT apparently. It's sort of a RTS-RPG, but the maps are kind of small. It plays a lot like the Blue Dragon Plus on the DS, if you've ever played that. Fight battles, get loot, accidently get married, level up, never use magic defense until the post-game bonus dungeon where everybody magics you to death from full screen away in a nanosecond. The usual. But how many game can you have Satan bang loli elves?

The Sagara Family (is this any better than Pick me Honey?) - It's really just cute, nothing else.

Yumina The Ethereal (no, I haven't played it yet at all >_>) - You should, it's a good game. There's no real good walkthrough for it though, not that I can find.

Zanmataisei Demonbane (heard this was pretty damn good...) - It's a great game, but the art is terrible. And maybe it's the the version I had but the videos were a pain to get to run. Worth it though. Don't do Al's route first, she's the best and you should save the best for last.

For the detail you put into every one of those, I love you in the least homosexual way possible. You are the first person I've seen to support TtT, so I'll have to think about it. Trust me, I know the feeling of completely finishing Kamidori. I'm on my 4th run, I wanted to do a second round of Yuela when I had everything done and didn't have to worry about every little timed quest and such. Saya no uta sounds like my kind of game. Eris I might skip, Sagara Family I will skip, Demonbane will see the light of day, but probably in my next round of VNs, not this one. Lightning Warrior, I never use walkthroughs, even on the hardest of games, so sounds like it's for me. Dengeki I could use more info on, and Daibanchou still gives me shivers to think about...

Oh, and Yumina is going to happen I decided.

For the detail you put into every one of those, I love you in the least homosexual way possible. You are the first person I've seen to support TtT, so I'll have to think about it. Trust me, I know the feeling of completely finishing Kamidori. I'm on my 4th run, I wanted to do a second round of Yuela when I had everything done and didn't have to worry about every little timed quest and such. Saya no uta sounds like my kind of game. Eris I might skip, Sagara Family I will skip, Demonbane will see the light of day, but probably in my next round of VNs, not this one. Lightning Warrior, I never use walkthroughs, even on the hardest of games, so sounds like it's for me. Dengeki I could use more info on, and Daibanchou still gives me shivers to think about...

Oh, and Yumina is going to happen I decided.

Raidy is hard, but it's also obtuse. There's no healing except for potion drops from monsters, and magic ignores defense except from one accessory knocking half your life bar off, and more than once you'll go running back to lower floors of the tower to grind for potions in order to get past the floors with magic enemies so you can grind for XP on the higher floors. Oldschool. But that's the fun kind of difficulty, what you need the walkthrough for is that progression is obtuse. You search a room, there's nothing there, you search another room, there's nothing there, you go back to the first room, and it triggers the event you need to proceed, but it wasn't there until you searched the other room ha ha. Oldschool. The second game is much more forgiving.

I'd tell you more about Dengeki Striker, but it's one of the games I'm currently playing, and I don't feel comfortable commenting too much on a game until I've beaten it and can judge it in full.

I wouldn't be too quick to jump into TtT if there are other games you're looking at and don't want to take the chance, since even though I loved it the consensus is that I'm totally wrong. I have weird taste sometimes, but it did get an anime and sequel, so at least there are others weirdos out there like me. If you do get around to it, I'd like to know what you think.

---

Daibanchou...sigh...let me load this sucker back up and see if I remember how to play it...oh yeah, it's coming back to be. First the game opens at the title screen that doubles as the Save/Load screen. You click advance at the bottom to start a new game or load a game, which doesn't start from that spot, it takes you back to the title screen and you can click advance to go to the loaded spot. That's the easiest part.

You get a little scene, then it goes to the map. This is the region phase...apparently, it says that in the bottem corner...When you mouse over the territory you've conquered there are sometimes different things listed to the right that you can do in that area. You can do one of those events per turn. Some are important and marked with stars, some you do to trigger different events later, and some are meaningless fluff that just wastes your turn. Some events only become available if you have certain characters deployed in certain places, or with other characters, or certain fights won or lost on or by certain turns. It's 100% as complicated and trial and error as it sounds.

Next we go to a big list of your units. This is the conversation phase. You can talk to one characters per turn. Sometimes it advances a character's story, sometimes nothing, there's probably some H in there somewhere but I can't be sure.

Now, DEPLOYMENT! To battle! Every unit is displayed on the right, with their HP, XP, stats, and a stamina bar that shows how many attacks they're able to make. Not having them deployed restores Stamina, and I think HP, but slowly. Each area of the map will have a number on it indicating how many enemies are on that spot. You can mouse over to see exactly what's waiting for you. Clicking on a spot allows you to add or remove units from that ares. You can have up to 6 units on any one area that you control or adjacent to an area you control. Deploying and removing units is as simple as dragging and dropping. Finally clicking END at the bottom to go to the next phase.

Now, the invasion phase. Click one of the highlighted areas that you have units in to fight for control of that area. Combat! At last! You and the enemy take turns kicking eachother in the shins. Your characters have an ATTACK button on their portrait, you can choose any ally deployed to knock shins with the enemy displayed, but sometimes the enemy won't be displayed and you just have to guess. Some attacks have range, and hit before the enemy, but if they attack from farther or at the same range you take damage too. Now the enemy gets to move. More combat! XP is then handed out and a good time is had by all.

Finally we're taken to the save screen. Save if you want then click end at the bottom, and we're back at the title screen! Load if you want or click advance at the bottom to go to the next turn. Repeat until end of game.

There're more than that. Later you can capture enemies by lowering their HP to the red without killing them and have them join your army, but units cost money so there's a balance to be had. Also later each territory you've conquered has a happiness rating that each unit raises by a certain amount, so you have to deploy people in a certain way. But basically, yeah, that's how you play Daibanchou. Don't ask about the other two Dai games, I haven't played them.

Tsukihime

Fate/Stay Night

Ayakashibito

I/O

Muv-Luv Alternative (You need to play Extra's and unlimited first Muv-Luv)

Hoshizora

Saya no Uta

Sharin no Kuni

Zanmataisei Demonbane

These are my suggestions after seeing your list(no priority order, but i give hoshizora the lowest priority and demonbane the second lowest. Demonbane is quite good, but it has its shortcomings. In case of Hoshizora, there is quite the gap between hoshizora and the others i listed hence i give this the lowest priority). Just pick the 3-4 you need from this, you can't go wrong

Daibanchou... I was actually dreading this, can ANYONE explain the GUI?

I stopped halfway. The gameplay was too difficult for me. It is simple to figure out the GUI though.

Edited by pramit

About daibanchou, I don't have it installed right now, but if you want you can post a screenshot of the GUI and I can explain it to you, and give you tips about the game, if that's what's holding you back from playing it.

About daibanchou, I don't have it installed right now, but if you want you can post a screenshot of the GUI and I can explain it to you, and give you tips about the game, if that's what's holding you back from playing it.

That would be helpful.

Also I think I'll hold off on Raidy in that case. I'm definitely going with Ayakashibito and Muv Luv Alternative at this point, and I'm already playing Ikinari Anata (which I really like btw). I'm going to give Princess Waltz a shot, and Yumina. For my next round I can say for sure Demonbane, Raidy 1, and Fate Stay Night will make that list, probably Dengeki will as well. I took a look at Daibanchou again and the GUI gave me a migraine.

For some reason everyone hates Tears to Tiara... is the battle system THAT bad? Can someone explain that?

I've heard mixed things about Saya no Uta, but it looks good and I love dark stuff. I'm a Stephen King fan if that says anything.

Tears to Tiara isn't quite bad, but it's not good either.

I've played a bit of it, but didn't get very far before dropping it.

The battle system is a bit lacklustre, many comments on VNDB say that they just used the auto feature.

The story is meh. Original-ish, but poorly executed for the most part.

Characters are mixed. Personally I detested Arawn (one of the reasons I dropped it so quickly), yet liked Arthur (who I'd much rather have as the protagonist)

Character interactions/chemistry also leave things to be desired.

I couldn't really find any good points, and so had no reason to justify continuing to play it. I may do so eventually, but I'm not limited to only English VNs. It's not excessively bad (not to the point of Harem Party with sound - Sophie's voice causes a 5.x10^29 % increase in suicide rates among VN players), and some people did like it so I'd say give it a try, but low priority. The others are likely much more enjoyable.

As for Saya no Uta, I and many other respected members of the community (hah, as-if!) find it to be an extremely good VN. Loli, good story, loli, good characters, loli, etc. Some would consider it to be a masterpiece. It is a bit dark, but not dark for the sake of it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, as long as they don't faint at the sight of virtual blood.