X-Change R is a remake of the more well-known X-Change. It featured redone CG, additional scenes and the seiyuu from the later games reprise their roles to fill the biggest void in the original. Basically, it's what X-Change should have been. There is also X-Change 2R, which adds content and better CG to X-Change 2.

I had problems finding it too. Lots of dead DDLs and torrents. I just found a trackerless magnet link on an obscure Russian site that is still seeded, so that got the job done! That was much more difficult than I imagined it to be.

?xt=urn:btih:bfb3932815173e0a25e0a8d4e4dc18b7cbb7800d&dn=X-change

Once I figure out how to hack the script I'm going to get started!

• 2 years later...
Why would this need translating? Isn't the script the same as in earlier release of X-Change? I got an impression they only updated the sprites, CGs and added voice actors.

maybe this version got never officially released(?), also if i got it correctly, i think this has some additional scenes, that's not translated.

maybe this version got never officially released(?), also if i got it correctly, i think this has some additional scenes, that's not translated.

It's not "maybe", it's 100% xD ... It never was released, what we have is the old version. Maybe it does have some additional scenes but it's surely pretty minor and could be TLed even with machine TL xD.

• 1 year later...

I was going to start a new thread, but since this one already exists I figured it was kind of pointless. Since the OP disappeared just as quickly as they came, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a stab at translating X-Change R? I don't really care about X-Change 2 R, but I really want to see the new scenes in X-Change R(with text, not textless CG's. I know where to find that already.). I figure that since the original X-Change is already translated, that can just be transplanted into R to save time, leaving just the untranslated stuff. Or as Infernoplex said, throw it into a machine TL and just make corrections as necessary.

I have a link to a store page to buy the game if that's needed, but something tells me no one is going to want to spend $43+. And doing just a regular google search yields very few results for X-Change R in general, so finding a download link for the game also isn't easy.

I was going to start a new thread, but since this one already exists I figured it was kind of pointless. Since the OP disappeared just as quickly as they came, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to take a stab at translating X-Change R? I don't really care about X-Change 2 R, but I really want to see the new scenes in X-Change R(with text, not textless CG's. I know where to find that already.). I figure that since the original X-Change is already translated, that can just be transplanted into R to save time, leaving just the untranslated stuff. Or as Infernoplex said, throw it into a machine TL and just make corrections as necessary.

I have a link to a store page to buy the game if that's needed, but something tells me no one is going to want to spend $43+. And doing just a regular google search yields very few results for X-Change R in general, so finding a download link for the game also isn't easy.

I grabbed back in the day both X Change R and X Change 2 R from a torrent. It could still be alive perhaps. Still, I don't consider the project for this VN worth it. Having played 1 and 2, and MTLing the parts of R that weren't in the original releases... I don't think it's something worth doing. Personally, I'd like to see more a translation for newer Crowd titles like Yin-Yang! X Change EX ~Boku no Sensei ga Konna ni Onna na Wake ga Nai~ or X-Change Alternative 2 ~Kimi no Hitomi ni Utsuru Kimi~.

I grabbed back in the day both X Change R and X Change 2 R from a torrent. It could still be alive perhaps. Still, I don't consider the project for this VN worth it. Having played 1 and 2, and MTLing the parts of R that weren't in the original releases... I don't think it's something worth doing. Personally, I'd like to see more a translation for newer Crowd titles like Yin-Yang! X Change EX ~Boku no Sensei ga Konna ni Onna na Wake ga Nai~ or X-Change Alternative 2 ~Kimi no Hitomi ni Utsuru Kimi~.

I mean, I do see where you're coming from. It's just one new branch to my understanding, both for X-Change R and X-Change 2 R, so I can understand why that alone might not entice you to put the effort into translating what needs to be translated and getting it uploaded for others to download. But, and I probably should have said this originally, X-Change R IS more than just a few new scenes. Enhanced art, newer engine, and voice acting are all part of the new package. And for me personally, knowing that there's a better version of the game out there that for some reason or another got shafted when it came to an English localization, and I can't experience it outside of textless CG's, that bugs me a lot for whatever reason, maybe because I feel like I'm getting a lesser experience. And when I look at the original X-Change in particular I do notice some ugly backgrounds here and there, I noticed them before even realizing X-Change R existed halfway through my playthrough. And now having played X-Change 2 which has voice acting and the updated backgrounds since it's a sequel, it makes it kind of harder to go back to the original. If it were up to me I'd translate X-Change R just so that anyone that wants to experience it, either for the first time or for a second time, gets the definitive experience even if the game isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just makes more sense to me to have the newer version, which might work a bit better on newer computers(I'm on Windows 10. Got it to run without much tinkering, but judging by the comments on ErogeDownload many people were having all sorts of issues that may or may not be related to the games age. Not that X-Change R is that much newer, but it's better than nothing.). And on my screen at least, the text sometimes gets cut off by the right side of the text box, something that I figure wouldn't happen with X-Change R. Sadly, I don't know how to hack a game to get at its script so that it can be translated or anything like that. And I almost want X-Change R and 2 R bad enough, that I'd be willing to pay for the translation.

And yeah, I'd like to see the newer titles translated too. Really I want everything, but it's unlikely that we'll ever get them which means that someone has to do the translating. I have a feeling that no current western VN publisher is going to pick them up. A J-List tweet from 2013, when asked about possibly getting an official release of X-Change R, pretty much said "We don't know anyone over there anymore, and we don't feel like trying to talk to them to see if we can." Looking at the current list of US publishers, I'd say Jast USA would be the people to ask, but one person asking hardly warrants licensing a 10+ year old game and translating it, even if the script for most of it is already done.

I mean, I do see where you're coming from. It's just one new branch to my understanding, both for X-Change R and X-Change 2 R, so I can understand why that alone might not entice you to put the effort into translating what needs to be translated and getting it uploaded for others to download. But, and I probably should have said this originally, X-Change R IS more than just a few new scenes. Enhanced art, newer engine, and voice acting are all part of the new package. And for me personally, knowing that there's a better version of the game out there that for some reason or another got shafted when it came to an English localization, and I can't experience it outside of textless CG's, that bugs me a lot for whatever reason, maybe because I feel like I'm getting a lesser experience. And when I look at the original X-Change in particular I do notice some ugly backgrounds here and there, I noticed them before even realizing X-Change R existed halfway through my playthrough. And now having played X-Change 2 which has voice acting and the updated backgrounds since it's a sequel, it makes it kind of harder to go back to the original. If it were up to me I'd translate X-Change R just so that anyone that wants to experience it, either for the first time or for a second time, gets the definitive experience even if the game isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread. It just makes more sense to me to have the newer version, which might work a bit better on newer computers(I'm on Windows 10. Got it to run without much tinkering, but judging by the comments on ErogeDownload many people were having all sorts of issues that may or may not be related to the games age. Not that X-Change R is that much newer, but it's better than nothing.). And on my screen at least, the text sometimes gets cut off by the right side of the text box, something that I figure wouldn't happen with X-Change R. Sadly, I don't know how to hack a game to get at its script so that it can be translated or anything like that. And I almost want X-Change R and 2 R bad enough, that I'd be willing to pay for the translation.

Don't get me wrong. I understand you too. This is quite common in the western scene actually.

1. JP dev makes a VN and releases it in Japan

2. A localizer picks up the said VN and releases it in the west in English

3. The JP dev later on releases the better, updated version in Japan

4. The localizer doesn't give a fuck about updating their own western release

We had a case of it just a couple of weeks ago. It's Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~ and I am still sad about it. The updated version of SubaHibi adds voice acting for all important characters that were left unvoiced in FrontWing's release (and some other stuff too that aren't trivial from what I understood). But yeah, the gist of it is - you rarely find any localizer bothering with updating their own releases in the west.

And yes, I agree with you that X Change R is definitely a better experience than the original one (yes, voices, updated engine and a facelift as well as some additional content aren't trivial improvements...). In fact, my votes on VNDB (Votes by infernoplex) were based on the updated versions of X Change 1 and 2. If not for the updated engine and stuff, I would have voted them lower than this, despite their age.

Speaking on the matter of lesser experiences... we have way bigger problems than just localizers not updating their releases with the western counterparts. Like censorship for example. I myself am doing right now (and have done already) a couple of uncensoring projects (at the moment, I am doing this A Sky Full of Stars - +18 Restoration - Translation Projects - Fuwanovel Forums). That's an even worse problem than what we are having here. Each time I see a VN butchered on Steam with no adult patch available, I get so pissed off. So yeah, we are treated like shit here in the West (well, not by all companies and not always...). So I do very well understand the notion of "lesser experience" you speak off.

Sadly, I'm not motivated enough to do a project on updating the content of old VNs like X-Change 1 and 2, even if someone paid me to do it. I didn't even like them that much. Newer Crowd titles, like X-Change 3 for example, make me more interested than older Crowd stuff. If I ever do a project for a Crowd title, it'd be a title that never got released in the West before (like for example, the two titles I mentioned earlier).

And yeah, I'd like to see the newer titles translated too. Really I want everything, but it's unlikely that we'll ever get them which means that someone has to do the translating. I have a feeling that no current western VN publisher is going to pick them up. A J-List tweet from 2013, when asked about possibly getting an official release of X-Change R, pretty much said "We don't know anyone over there anymore, and we don't feel like trying to talk to them to see if we can." Looking at the current list of US publishers, I'd say Jast USA would be the people to ask, but one person asking hardly warrants licensing a 10+ year old game and translating it, even if the script for most of it is already done.

That's sadly true. And yeah, I hate that feeling when there's a VN I really want to read, but no localizer wants to give me the experience I am looking for. That's why I started learning JP in hopes of one day bypassing that problem (and also, in hopes of doing a couple of VN projects I really want to do so badly). JAST is unlikely to ever pick up another Crowd title, and the fanTL for those seem super unlikely, so my suggestion to you is to try motivating yourself to learn JP by using that passion you have for Crowd titles at the moment. I know it's not easy, but it's not impossible either. It may seem daunting to learn a language like Japanese, but there are people who aren't genious and have managed to learn it just fine. If you survive that journey, you'll never look back on the western English translation scene. And it could pay off much more than waiting for years in hopes of getting to see your favorite title translated into English.

Don't get me wrong. I understand you too. This is quite common in the western scene actually.

1. JP dev makes a VN and releases it in Japan

2. A localizer picks up the said VN and releases it in the west in English

3. The JP dev later on releases the better, updated version in Japan

4. The localizer doesn't give a fuck about updating their own western release

We had a case of it just a couple of weeks ago. It's Subarashiki Hibi ~Furenzoku Sonzai~ and I am still sad about it. The updated version of SubaHibi adds voice acting for all important characters that were left unvoiced in FrontWing's release (and some other stuff too that aren't trivial from what I understood). But yeah, the gist of it is - you rarely find any localizer bothering with updating their own releases in the west.

And yes, I agree with you that X Change R is definitely a better experience than the original one (yes, voices, updated engine and a facelift as well as some additional content aren't trivial improvements...). In fact, my votes on VNDB (Votes by infernoplex) were based on the updated versions of X Change 1 and 2. If not for the updated engine and stuff, I would have voted them lower than this, despite their age.

Speaking on the matter of lesser experiences... we have way bigger problems than just localizers not updating their releases with the western counterparts. Like censorship for example. I myself am doing right now (and have done already) a couple of uncensoring projects (at the moment, I am doing this A Sky Full of Stars - +18 Restoration - Translation Projects - Fuwanovel Forums). That's an even worse problem than what we are having here. Each time I see a VN butchered on Steam with no adult patch available, I get so pissed off. So yeah, we are treated like shit here in the West (well, not by all companies and not always...). So I do very well understand the notion of "lesser experience" you speak off.

Sadly, I'm not motivated enough to do a project on updating the content of old VNs like X-Change 1 and 2, even if someone paid me to do it. I didn't even like them that much. Newer Crowd titles, like X-Change 3 for example, make me more interested than older Crowd stuff. If I ever do a project for a Crowd title, it'd be a title that never got released in the West before (like for example, the two titles I mentioned earlier).

That's sadly true. And yeah, I hate that feeling when there's a VN I really want to read, but no localizer wants to give me the experience I am looking for. That's why I started learning JP in hopes of one day bypassing that problem (and also, in hopes of doing a couple of VN projects I really want to do so badly). JAST is unlikely to ever pick up another Crowd title, and the fanTL for those seem super unlikely, so my suggestion to you is to try motivating yourself to learn JP by using that passion you have for Crowd titles at the moment. I know it's not easy, but it's not impossible either. It may seem daunting to learn a language like Japanese, but there are people who aren't genious and have managed to learn it just fine. If you survive that journey, you'll never look back on the western English translation scene. And it could pay off much more than waiting for years in hopes of getting to see your favorite title translated into English.

Valid points. Probably about the only other publisher that would possibly pick it up would be Mangagamer(Fakku doesn't license and translate right?). Can't see Sekai Project ever picking it up, doesn't seem like their thing. Admittedly now that a week has passed, my motivation to continue playing the X-Change games is dwindling. I moved on to X-Change 3, and I was excited going into it, but for whatever reason I only got maybe an hour into it, had to go to bed, and just couldn't motivate myself to jump back in like with the previous two games which I couldn't wait to get back to. Maybe it'll come back to me at some point. In the meantime, I grabbed the "Learn Japanese to Survive" games off of Steam. Not sure how well they work, lots of positive reviews, and they're cheap so worth a shot. Honestly I feel like learning Japanese is long overdue, but even if I do manage it, I doubt I'll stop coming to the fan translation community because I'd much rather play stuff with English subtitles, and if I know how to read and write Japanese, I could translate stuff myself and make it available. I already posted in another thread a few VN's I'd love to see translated. Princess Lover(I'm surprised this one hasn't been, either by fans or officially.), Maou no Ingu, JK to Inkou Kyoushi 4, Tropical Kiss, and the entire Kansen series(Another one I'm surprised hasn't been translated one way or the other, at least the first one.). I do plan to play through the Bible Black games, the Rance series, the Kuroinu and Taimanin Asagi games, Soul Link, and School Days HQ. Though I can't decide which ones to actually pay for, and which ones to just grab from ErogeDownload.

Valid points. Probably about the only other publisher that would possibly pick it up would be Mangagamer(Fakku doesn't license and translate right?). Can't see Sekai Project ever picking it up, doesn't seem like their thing. Admittedly now that a week has passed, my motivation to continue playing the X-Change games is dwindling. I moved on to X-Change 3, and I was excited going into it, but for whatever reason I only got maybe an hour into it, had to go to bed, and just couldn't motivate myself to jump back in like with the previous two games which I couldn't wait to get back to. Maybe it'll come back to me at some point. In the meantime, I grabbed the "Learn Japanese to Survive" games off of Steam. Not sure how well they work, lots of positive reviews, and they're cheap so worth a shot. Honestly I feel like learning Japanese is long overdue, but even if I do manage it, I doubt I'll stop coming to the fan translation community because I'd much rather play stuff with English subtitles, and if I know how to read and write Japanese, I could translate stuff myself and make it available. I already posted in another thread a few VN's I'd love to see translated. Princess Lover(I'm surprised this one hasn't been, either by fans or officially.), Maou no Ingu, JK to Inkou Kyoushi 4, Tropical Kiss, and the entire Kansen series(Another one I'm surprised hasn't been translated one way or the other, at least the first one.). I do plan to play through the Bible Black games, the Rance series, the Kuroinu and Taimanin Asagi games, Soul Link, and School Days HQ. Though I can't decide which ones to actually pay for, and which ones to just grab from ErogeDownload.

Yeah, Fakku doesn't license and translate. They are only a storefront. Also, I seriously doubt MG would pick it up either. It's not something they could sell that well. And the least likely candidate to pick it up would be Sekai (i.e. don't hope for it).

"Learn Japanese to Survive" series are fun little games, but not really good enough to help you learn the language. You need to grab some beginner Japanese books like the Genki series or Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese on the side to make it worth. Also, of course, this is not a replacement for English TLed VNs. Even I will prefer to read a VN if I can read it in English instead of Japanese. It's simply a matter of speed how fast I can read something. By the way, I wish you luck if you ever endeavour into fanTL scene. You have my support.

Also, good taste. Princess Lover is something I'd love to see in English too myself (and whole Walkure Romanze series as well). Maou no Ingu is a VN I never saw before, but it looks interesting. JK to Inkou Kyoushi series I knew about, but never got interested in them that much. Tropical Kiss is golden stuff :) (and maybe it get's localized one day too!). Kansen series I am familiar with, but I don't see anyone doing them officially (maybe someone does, but I seriously don't see it happening).

And last... Bible Black you cannot buy officially anymore. You can only pirate it. Funny thing, but Bible Black is one of my favorite eroge (and also my first VN I have read). A true classic and a masterpiece by Sei Shoujo (I wish all of his other games to get TLed too, i.e. the entire catalogue of Empress). Rance series, Kuroinu, Soul Link and School Days HQ are all worth a buy though. Taimanin Asagi is a fanTL. They are all good stuff, so you have picked well :)

Yeah, Fakku doesn't license and translate. They are only a storefront. Also, I seriously doubt MG would pick it up either. It's not something they could sell that well. And the least likely candidate to pick it up would be Sekai (i.e. don't hope for it).

"Learn Japanese to Survive" series are fun little games, but not really good enough to help you learn the language. You need to grab some beginner Japanese books like the Genki series or Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese on the side to make it worth. Also, of course, this is not a replacement for English TLed VNs. Even I will prefer to read a VN if I can read it in English instead of Japanese. It's simply a matter of speed how fast I can read something. By the way, I wish you luck if you ever endeavour into fanTL scene. You have my support.

Also, good taste. Princess Lover is something I'd love to see in English too myself (and whole Walkure Romanze series as well). Maou no Ingu is a VN I never saw before, but it looks interesting. JK to Inkou Kyoushi series I knew about, but never got interested in them that much. Tropical Kiss is golden stuff :) (and maybe it get's localized one day too!). Kansen series I am familiar with, but I don't see anyone doing them officially (maybe someone does, but I seriously don't see it happening).

And last... Bible Black you cannot buy officially anymore. You can only pirate it. Funny thing, but Bible Black is one of my favorite eroge (and also my first VN I have read). A true classic and a masterpiece by Sei Shoujo (I wish all of his other games to get TLed too, i.e. the entire catalogue of Empress). Rance series, Kuroinu, Soul Link and School Days HQ are all worth a buy though. Taimanin Asagi is a fanTL. They are all good stuff, so you have picked well :)

Those books have pretty good reviews, and the total price for the two textbooks and their workbooks isn't too bad. I'll have to get them at some point, but I just so happened to get a 50% off voucher for the entire Pimsleur Japanese Premium course, so I invested in that. Gotta pay three monthly installments, to keep it, but that shouldn't be too hard. I tried it once and in three days I learned and memorized more Japanese than I had in three years. So between these lessons, those books, and the Learn Japanese games, I think I've got enough materials. Though one question I do have is if those books teach Katakana and Kanji. I saw one reviewer mention Hiragana, but that's it.

Maou no Ingu is one I randomly stumbled upon while browsing Anime Character Database. The character reminded me of Kallen from Code Geass and from there I found the VN and was intrigued. Bible Black, oddly enough, I learned about when I was still a kid. I got a gaming Magazine and on the back inside cover was an ad for Bible Black. Never actually picked it up(for obvious reasons), but I'm interested in doing so now. As for the others, glad to know they don't suck. Makes it easier to spend the money when I have it.

Though one question I do have is if those books teach Katakana and Kanji. I saw one reviewer mention Hiragana, but that's it.

Hiragana and Katakana can be learned in a week (if you aren't gonna bother learning how to write them... which I recommend since it's not important for your Japanese reading studies). As for kanji, there are multiple ways to go about them. You can try out Learn Kanji Using Radicals KANJIDAMAGE in combination with Anki or Memrise like I am doing. There are also the Heisig series, but I don't like them. Just find a good book that can teach you radicals and then find some good mnemonics to remember them by. It'll take some time to learn enough of them, but totally worth it (and no, it's not impossible to learn 2000 kanjis).

I am also going to just add "Wanikani" on that list. It is the best resource I have found for learning Kanji. I recently gave JLPT N4 (and probably passed it), owing 80% of it to WK and am also giving N3 in December because I already have 1200 Kanji under my belt. It teaches you 2000 Kanji + 6000 Vocabulary in 1-1.5 years properly. It is paid but something like $5-8 per month.

Hiragana and Katakana can be learned in a week (if you aren't gonna bother learning how to write them... which I recommend since it's not important for your Japanese reading studies). As for kanji, there are multiple ways to go about them. You can try out Learn Kanji Using Radicals KANJIDAMAGE in combination with Anki or Memrise like I am doing. There are also the Heisig series, but I don't like them. Just find a good book that can teach you radicals and then find some good mnemonics to remember them by. It'll take some time to learn enough of them, but totally worth it (and no, it's not impossible to learn 2000 kanjis).

I am also going to just add "Wanikani" on that list. It is the best resource I have found for learning Kanji. I recently gave JLPT N4 (and probably passed it), owing 80% of it to WK and am also giving N3 in December because I already have 1200 Kanji under my belt. It teaches you 2000 Kanji + 6000 Vocabulary in 1-1.5 years properly. It is paid but something like $5-8 per month.

I appreciate the suggestions, though I'm not gonna lie, 1-1.5 years is an intimidating timeframe, just for that. I know it varies from person to person, but so much can happen even in just a few months. It doesn't necessarily deter me of course, especially when I have so many other materials that it could go a lot faster.

While I've been trying to get up the motivation to start learning, I've been playing Bible Black and it's better than I expected. Though after watching "How not to summon a demon lord" I'm kind of craving eroge that have a fantasy setting, but I can't really think of any other than maybe Rance, and those games aren't exactly... new. Looking into it, the first and third games are the originals from WAY back, not the recent remakes which were, from what I can tell, released BEFORE the originals were licensed. And looking at HCG sets of them, the art makes my eyes hurt.

I appreciate the suggestions, though I'm not gonna lie, 1-1.5 years is an intimidating timeframe, just for that. I know it varies from person to person, but so much can happen even in just a few months. It doesn't necessarily deter me of course, especially when I have so many other materials that it could go a lot faster.

While I've been trying to get up the motivation to start learning, I've been playing Bible Black and it's better than I expected. Though after watching "How not to summon a demon lord" I'm kind of craving eroge that have a fantasy setting, but I can't really think of any other than maybe Rance, and those games aren't exactly... new. Looking into it, the first and third games are the originals from WAY back, not the recent remakes which were, from what I can tell, released BEFORE the originals were licensed. And looking at HCG sets of them, the art makes my eyes hurt.

If you are serious about learning JP, then yeah, you'll have to invest time into it. Sadly, I only occasionally invest time into it xD I plan to learn it more like on a long run, than all at once. And yeah, the necessary speed to learn it varies from person to person. As well as methods of learning of course.

Bible Black is one of the kind! Glad you're liking it :) And yeah, I know that the school setting might be a kind of setting that's not that much interesting (Japanese VNs overuse school-based settings).

I didn't play Rance, but I don't think that old art is necessarily a bad thing. Unless we are talking about YU-NO here, which I couldn play as it was, well, too old for my taste.

• 8 months later...

has anything been found yet because i think i found something give me a few minutes foundit where i found it> Log in | Hakoooo~ desuyo!

https://mega.nz/#F!NBlDSLJZ!IbzLh7UzZ7hiuoIxWGho-Q (it does work)pass is hako.re woo now we will be able to start translating

side note/bonus: also i found ying yang x change alternative 2 in case anyone wants it to make a thread of or to use Adventure Legends https://mega.nz/#F!jYUkQIbJ!eDRNGY-FtY9GP8Da0IZA-Q
here is ex incase same reasons as above https://1fichier.com/?68pm5zbuma98yk84q4gw&af=30038 h-suki tho.. its fine as far as i can see

also i found a ren'py russian port(while looking for x-change 2 r)(heres the russian port incase you cant fucking find the japanese due to the complete collection being dumb and not having 2r https://mega.nz/#!aLZzEA7Z!aO3vx0-OWUrkDT9St633jP48WvjyosLI9XfkMQM7upw) of the first 3(adding stuff from r) games X-Change 1 RenPy - Переводы на русский язык - Проекты - Anivisual.net(the other files can be found here like voices and music)  Download - MEGA(the game) found x-change 2r but i don't have enough money http://www.hs-crowd.co.jp/crowd/top.html

there is now an official thingy https://erogedownload.com/downloads/x-change-complete-collection/ but it seems to not have x change 2 r judging from its description... so we still need that

Edited by tzer
finalizing a post