erogedownload and possible virus?

Hey all, was just curious what the difference between this site and erogedownload . com are? erogedownload links to this site for the forums, yet there's no link here back to their site. Are these sites unrelated?

I ask, because I heard that there's the possibility of a false positive in terms of virus', but that assurance was only for games from this site. Just wanted to be sure before I start downloading. Thanks in advance!

Short answer: I run both sites. Nowadays both contain the same files and can be used interchangeably.

Long answer: erogedownload is older than erogegames. Few years ago I wanted to change the CMS (basically the engine, "under the hood" stuff) the site was running on, due to previous one's shortcomings. I registered new domain and started porting over content over here. When the process was finished, I planned to simply drop the spare domain or redirect it to first one. Eventually, I changed my mind - having two separate sites might be beneficial in few cases: Redundancy - those were interesting times, with many governments planning to tighten copyright laws. If one site got taken down, the other one would survive, and spread the word among community about new site address (basically "fighting the hydra" scenario. unless everything gets burned down at once, we're able to regenerate and return even stronger). Making actual discussion possible - it's hard to talk about stuff, when you're unable to quote someone, comments sometimes appear in random order, long-nested comments look like vertical writing and so on. Using proper forum engine makes it much more convinient. Additional content, like OSTs, walkthrus etc. - erogedownload is basically a "let's see what games came out recently and are on front page" single-purpose site. Over here, you can see actual progress of translations ( weekly VNTLS threads ), discuss your favourite games and so on... Having actual registrations and real-time discussions (via the shoutbox systems) with users lets me interact with users better, asking for feedback or receive help with tracking down hard-to-find stuff (I'm especially bad with yaoi and otome games - I'd miss many titles if not for suggesions/requests from users). I used to provide different sets of links on both sites, back when I was using different filehosts, as additional safeguard - nowadays it's not that important, so I can save time and use the same links on both sites, but if it were needed, I can always return to that practice, or even make more different sets of links and geo-target them by countries - if copyright owner from USA reports them and filehost takes them down, users from different regions won't be affected.

There are other perks of dual-site setup like that, but I think you get the idea by now. Also, in 6 years I've been running those sites, I haven't put up even a single infected file for download - every antivirus alert turned out to be false positive.

Thanks for the quick answer and for the cool run down of the sites. I can see what you mean about the layout of the sites especially in a social aspect. Anyways though, really appreciate how much effort you put into this, keep it up!

You're welcome.

Also, as for false positives - if you encounter one, it's great if you submit them to your AV vendor for manual verification - it helps other site users avoid such alerts in the future and let's AV fine-tune their detection engines.

Sample form for submissions for vendors are as below:

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive/

Submit a Virus or Malware Sample | McAfee Labs

https://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/submission/submit.aspx

(and so on... each vendor has it's own page/e-mail for this. Just find one from the AV program you're using)